Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DWGH Home Farm Projects Thread

Season came to a close yesterday here in N Missouri. Its time to start a projects thread for the 176 acre CRP farm I swapped into from my 122 acre farm I sold last August. I closed just in time last year to get 9-10 acres of fall plots eatablished.
The main goal for this spring is to get a 15 acres section of CRP cleaned up and begin the process of establishing switch.

Backstory, there was a really nice buck I played cat and mouse with, he survived. Though only lived on me mid-October- end of November. Cant wait to see if he shows his face next October.
IMG_4739.jpg

9ed79bdd2408d66acd2514e182eec086.jpg

I am looking forward to what these bucks do next year also. I believe they all made it
06dcc7cd29db52152395a49d9a1437ce.jpg

96799d3b184825ce0f50761dcc007112.jpg

60aa34680962bf8a52015cd1fd5477cd.jpg

Wacked 8 does off the farm last fall for a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backtracking again, had a bonus honker hunt (and a dee ducks) on the farm pond couple weeks ago. Hadnt killed any sky pandas for a couple years.
7635d633a4a0ec0609bfa9e1bf7f4114.jpg

How would you compare your CRP farm to your past farm? Do you like to hunt CRP and/or is it as good?

How would you compare your CRP farm to your past farm? Do you like to hunt CRP and/or is it as good?

Ive got a lot to learn about the new farm. Though i think after i get it tuned up it will be much easier to hunt than my other farm.
It should be noted that my new farm is in what I believe to be a better area for genetics and age structure than my previous farm.
I would hope that in 3-5 years the new farm will look completely different than the day i closed (8/10/20).

DWGH...You said a while back when you purchased this farm, you were going to take the Drury's approach to setting it up. What does that entail for you on this property?

I have a CRP farm in MN. Actually it is a combo, 130 acres, which breaks down to about 70 acres of CRP, 40 wooded, food plots, plus low land. Borders an enormous swampy tamarack nasty area. The deer use my CRP almost the same if not more than the timber. I am a big fan, but always like to see other perspectives on CRP cover. I see deer bedding it in the CRP, and they really like to rut around in the tall grasses around early November.

Attachments

• OTC CRP-1.jpg
    OTC CRP-1.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 267
I have a CRP farm in MN. Actually it is a combo, 130 acres, which breaks down to about 70 acres of CRP, 40 wooded, food plots, plus low land. Borders an enormous swampy tamarack nasty area. The deer use my CRP almost the same if not more than the timber. I am a big fan, but always like to see other perspectives on CRP cover. I see deer bedding it in the CRP, and they really like to rut around in the tall grasses around early November.
Hardwood and IBH just wondered how you’d compare your crp to switchgrass as far as bedding/holding power and overall pros/cons?

Hardwood and IBH just wondered how you’d compare your crp to switchgrass as far as bedding/holding power and overall pros/cons?
I'm not a big fan of giant expanses of straight switch. (I like it in small pockets). Piece I got is in pollinator but it has natives in it. So there is bedding cover but the forbes create a giant foodplot. Watch a deer go thru this type of diverse planting and they are constantly browsing. I don't really see deer bedding out in the MIDDLE of it but they certainly bed in it near the draws, etc. They are also very comfortable walking thru it as opposed to being an open field.

I'm not a big fan of giant expanses of straight switch. (I like it in small pockets). Piece I got is in pollinator but it has natives in it. So there is bedding cover but the forbes create a giant foodplot. Watch a deer go thru this type of diverse planting and they are constantly browsing. I don't really see deer bedding out in the MIDDLE of it but they certainly bed in it near the draws, etc. They are also very comfortable walking thru it as opposed to being an open field.
Gotcha. Don’t have any switch on my place but have wondered whether I’d be better off with it instead of the crp I have. Been my experience that the deer will bed in my crp in areas where there’s other structure like shrubs or small pockets of young trees but in general they don’t seem to bed in it. I had a guy help me burn it a couple years back after I bought the farm, first time it had been in quite some time to my knowledge, and I thought for sure I’d find a shed antler or 4 after burning and nothing. Led me to believe that they just don’t seem to bed in it regularly. Whether it would be any different if it was switch I don’t know and that’s why I’ve been hesitant to try and change it over.

Gotcha. Don’t have any switch on my place but have wondered whether I’d be better off with it instead of the crp I have. Been my experience that the deer will bed in my crp in areas where there’s other structure like shrubs or small pockets of young trees but in general they don’t seem to bed in it. I had a guy help me burn it a couple years back after I bought the farm, first time it had been in quite some time to my knowledge, and I thought for sure I’d find a shed antler or 4 after burning and nothing. Led me to believe that they just don’t seem to bed in it regularly. Whether it would be any different if it was switch I don’t know and that’s why I’ve been hesitant to try and change it over.
yeah I wouldn't read too much into the no shed thing. CRP, natives, etc.... none of it is good bedding cover the time of year that deer are dropping antlers. That dynamic won't change in a CRP vs. straight switch discussion. Where deer drop antlers is about two things and two things only. Winter cover & proximity to food.

yeah I wouldn't read too much into the no shed thing. CRP, natives, etc.... none of it is good bedding cover the time of year that deer are dropping antlers. That dynamic won't change in a CRP vs. straight switch discussion. Where deer drop antlers is about two things and two things only. Winter cover & proximity to food.
Have a good food source right next to the crp that’s nice and secluded so that’s why I kinda thought they’d bed more frequently in it. Have even better bedding cover on the farm too though and that’s definitely where they bed so could just be that they’re preferring the better cover over the crp. Maybe if crp was the best cover in a general area they’d bed in it more? My crp isn’t super thick, lays down a bit this time of year too whereas I’d have thought switch would be pretty solid bedding cover this time of year no?

I took advantage of the low humidity and steady wind this afternoon, went ahead and burned off the 15 acre section of CRP im converting to switch. Fire breaks were put in last fall so it was pretty easy to wip it by myself. Ive got some tree cleanup to do next.
c1192dc9e12c2416793bc593a54f59a1.jpg

9198f2a6aeb6e8fe030c8efd7721dfa1.jpg

Top Bottom