Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DWGH Home Farm Projects Thread

I havent made much progress on habitat stuff yet this year with the exception of some edge feathering to satisfy this years requirement from the EQIP contract.
I can say that the new home construction on the farm is complete (ISH) and we have moved there full time. This has been a huge undertaking but will be great to raise my family here and make maintenance and improvements easier not having to be 15 minutes from our home.
I will share some more pictures when we get settled in.
700711905.jpg

Tell us more about the cedar beams that you milled please. I will be cutting some fair sized diameter cedars sometime this year and was anticipating milling some of them. But I don't know that I have anything real specific in mind to do with them. So I would be curious to see what someone else has come up with. TIA.

Tell us more about the cedar beams that you milled please. I will be cutting some fair sized diameter cedars sometime this year and was anticipating milling some of them. But I don't know that I have anything real specific in mind to do with them. So I would be curious to see what someone else has come up with. TIA.
Long Story short, I had some big a s s cedars in a 3-4 acre section on the back of the farm. Once I saw the quote on the 8x8 timbers I wanted for my big covered patio on the back of the house I got creative. Cut down 32 sticks, limbed and skidded out with tractor and hauled to the amish to mill out for me. Milling cost $600 vs the $13k from a lumber yard (and that was western cedar). I had quite a bit of leftover 1x4's & 6's so I found other uses for it along the way to save some more coin.

This is what I used as sealer/protectant
Old timer that used to own kenmar lumber here in NCMO advised me it would help hold the rich red color of the wood. been pretty happy with the look.
spar varnish.jpg

Haven't updated in awhile. Last week right of way clearing crew for the power company were coming through and I hired them for a day since they were around. The west side/fence row on the timber farm I bought last year severely needed some attention, not only for access but to be a good neighbor to the horse folks next door. About 1/2 oif the 5-600 yard stint was closed canopy cedars. It was fun to watch this tool work.

Finally got to tag my first gobblers on the new farm this spring. Hunted a total of 6 hours.
Good buddy Cody and I realized we had hunted together our whole lives but never killed a gobbler together. Our goal for the spring was to check that box and we did so with a double out of the same blind I had killed my first gobbler. We chased them around in the timber for a couple hours and accidentally bumped them trying to make a move. I didn't think they would go farm and slipped back into the blind that leads out to the big food plot. We had yet to make a call an sat down for 6-7 minutes and the 3 longbeards came marching into our lap.
IMG953374.jpg
IMG956536.jpg

Landscaping update... still not getting many farm chores done.
Hopefully spray this weekend and drill switchgrass next weekend

Attachments

• IMG956693.jpg
    IMG956693.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG956694.jpg
    IMG956694.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom