Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

hf 2160 baiting

Ha, there is a difference. It's called a combine. The ppl that hunt over food plots don't understand that a 5 gallon bucket of corn is the same kind of corn that they sit in front of in January waiting for the deer to come eat minus the stalk. They will say but we put in all the hard work to till the ground, plant it, spray it, .......... What if a guy plants the corn in the back yard? Tills the ground, plants it, sprays it, then hand picks it, shucks it, puts it in a bucket and dumps it in front of the deer stand. Wouldn't that fella be doing more work than the guy with the food plot? But that would be considered "baiting". I don't have anything against food plots. I just don't understand why the ppl with food plots are so against baiting? It gets brought up on here every year. The food plotters bash everything about baiting and pound their chest because their corn has stalks on it.

Couldn't have said it any better. My feelings exactly. Actually had that same conversation with the Genex tech while he chalked the cows this morning.

• Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
  • Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
I just don't understand why the ppl with food plots are so against baiting? It gets brought up on here every year. The food plotters bash everything about baiting and pound their chest because their corn has stalks on it
I think in reality, we all know why, it is because that food plot will draw deer and if the dude next door cannot compete, more deer for the guy with resources etc to plant the plot.

I am not going to stand on the side of either one being bad or good but am willing to call a spade a spade when I see it. I would love a big food plot of brassicas in my yard for sheds.

Last edited:
Then the DNR needs to sell it like that. They will wait till everyone freshens their minerals then say it's a crisis on November 1 and everyone has 2 weeks to dig them out. It's classic DNR.

Remember, the DNR isn't driving this bus, the legislature is. We all have the ability to try and tell the driver where to stop. This bill still has a long way to go.

And as a side note, I don't think the DNR is allowed to sell anything. The Governor's Office is still controlling the CWD message. The only selling going on is by me and so far I haven't made many, if any, sales.

There were a couple of amendments proposed today (3/1):

H-8049

Amend House File 2403 as follows:
1. Page 1, after line 24 by inserting:
<(f) Feed placed for preserve whitetail in a hunting preserve pursuant to chapter 484C.>

The way I read it is it's OK for high fence/preserve deer to be fed. Or baited. Or both.

H-8053

Amend House File 2403 as follows:
1. Page 2, after line 19 by inserting:
<6. Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary, the commission may, by rules adopted pursuant to chapter 17A, prohibit baiting of deer in any county in which there has been a positive test result for chronic wasting disease.>

Pretty self explanatory but two things come to mind. Does this include both wild and captive deer? At this time the only county that has had a positive wild deer CWD test is Allamakee and captive deer in Cerro Gordo, Davis and Pottawatomi. Remember, this amendment directs the DNR Commission to make rules which the Governor can then refuse to approve.

Here is the bill with theses amendments added 8049 in blue and 8052 in tan. The red is the amendment proposed a few days ago.

HF 2403 (LSB 5942HV (2) 86)

HOUSE FILE 2403

BY COMMITTEE ON NATURAL RESOURCES

(SUCCESSOR TO HF 2160)

A BILL FOR

An Act relating to the baiting of deer on public or private property and providing penalties.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA:

Section 1. NEW SECTION. 481A.41 Baiting of deer.
1. As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires:
a.“Baited area” means any area where feed is placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered with the intent to lure, attract, or entice wildlife to a specific location.
b. (1) “Feed” means grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts, hay, salt, mineral blocks, or any other natural food materials; commercial products containing natural food materials; or by-products of such materials, that are capable of luring, attracting, or enticing wildlife to a specific location.
(2) “Feed” does not include any of the following:
(a) Food placed during normal agricultural activities including but not limited to feed placed for livestock that are present and are actively consuming the feed on a regular basis.
(b) Incidental feeding of wildlife within an active livestock operation.
(c) Crops planted and left standing as food plots for wildlife.
(d) Grain or other feed scattered or distributed as a result of normal agricultural, gardening, soil stabilization, or logging practices.
(e) Vegetation or other feed that is naturally deposited in an area.

<(f) Feed placed for preserve whitetail in a hunting preserve pursuant to chapter 484C.>
<2. A person shall not hunt, take, or attempt to take deer while the person is on or in a baited area and a person shall not hunt, take, or attempt to take deer that is on or in a baited area.>
3. A person shall not place, expose, deposit, distribute, or scatter feed on a baited area on any private or public property, or knowingly allow another person to place, expose, deposit, distribute, or scatter feed on a baited area on private property under the person’s ownership or lease in <the state unless all feed is removed from the baited area during the period of time beginning on September 1 and ending on January 31 of the following year. If salt, minerals, or any other feed that will dissolve and leach into the soil is used as bait, the area shall be considered> a permanently baited area until such time as all contaminated soil is removed or until there is no longer evidence that deer are artificially attracted to or are accessing the site. A person shall not hunt, take, or attempt to take deer within two hundred yards of a permanently baited area until such time as all contaminated soil is removed from the area or until there is no evidence that deer are artificially attracted to or are accessing the area. <A baited area remains a permanently baited area regardless of any attempt to restrict access by deer to the area by covering or fencing the area, or by any other means.>
4. If salt, minerals, or any other feed that will dissolve and leach into the soil is placed in an area for agricultural purposes, that area shall not be considered a baited area or a permanently baited area.
5. A person shall not establish a baited area or place, expose, deposit, distribute, or scatter feed in an area with the intent to prevent or disrupt the hunting activities of another person. A violation of this subsection constitutes a violation of section 481A.125.

<6. Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary, the commission may, by rules adopted pursuant to chapter 17A, prohibit baiting of deer in any county in which there has been a positive test result for chronic wasting disease.>

Sec. 2. Section 805.8B, subsection 3, paragraph e, Code 2016, is amended to read as follows:
e. For violations of sections481A.41, 481A.57, 481A.85, 481A.93, 481A.95, 481A.120, 481A.137, 481B.5, 482.3, 482.9, 482.15, and 483A.42, the scheduled fine is one hundred dollars.

EXPLANATION
The inclusion of this explanation does not constitute agreement with
the explanation’s substance by the members of the general assembly.
This bill prohibits hunting, taking, or attempting to take deer on or in a baited area. The bill also requires that if a person places feed in a baited area, all feed must be removed from that area at least 10 days before the opening day of the first fall deer hunting season. An area remains a baited area for 10 days following complete removal of all feed from the area, except for salt, minerals, or any other feed that will dissolve and leach into the soil, in which case the area is considered a permanently baited area until such time as all contaminated soil is removed or until there is no longer evidence that deer are artificially attracted to or are accessing the site. A person shall not hunt, take, or attempt to take deer within 200 yards of a permanently baited area until such time as all contaminated soil is removed from the area or until there is no evidence that deer are artificially attracted to or are accessing the area.
If salt, minerals, or any other feed that will dissolve and leach into the soil is placed in an area for agricultural purposes, that area is not considered a baited area or a permanently baited area.
A person shall not establish a baited area or place, expose, deposit, distribute, or scatter feed in an area with the intent to prevent or disrupt the hunting activities of another person. A violation of this provision constitutes intentional interference with lawful hunting under section 481A.125 and is punishable as a simple misdemeanor for a first offense and as a serious misdemeanor for any subsequent offense. A simple misdemeanor is punishable by confinement for no more than 30 days or a fine of at least $65 but not more than $625 or by both. A serious misdemeanor is punishable by confinement for no more than one year and a fine of at least $315 but not more than $1,875.
For purposes of the bill, “feed” is grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts, hay, salt, mineral blocks, or any other natural food materials; commercial products containing natural food materials; or by-products of such materials, that are capable of luring, attracting, or enticing wildlife to a specific location. “Feed” does not include food placed during normal agricultural activities including but not limited to feed placed for livestock that are present and are actively consuming the feed on a regular basis; incidental feeding of wildlife within an active livestock operation; crops planted and left standing as food plots for wildlife; grain or other feed scattered or distributed as a result of normal agricultural, gardening, soil stabilization, or logging practices; or vegetation or other feed that is naturally deposited in an area. A “baited area” is any area where feed is placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered with the intent to lure, attract, or entice wildlife to a specific location.
A violation of the bill’s provisions is punishable with a scheduled fine of $100.

Link to the bill:

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=HF2403&ga=86

My disclaimer on my comment is its MY opinion. Not calling anyone out or saying I am right

But to be frank- I use any advantage I can legally use when deer hunting. Those who always say "real" hunters shouldn't need trail cameras- food plots- etc- I laugh at that. I know people who live in states that allow baiting and get large bucks on camera every year and haven't ever killed a monster. Like baiting or food plots really makes it A "slam dunk" so to speak. I literally use every advantage I legally can and by the end of the year the score is always deer > me. Food plots are allowed- so I hunt over one. If baiting was allowed - I would have plenty of piles of corn sitting out there. Most who say they wouldn't are lying to themselves. I know plenty of you truly do stick to the old ways and I applaud you. Truly remarkable. I am just speaking honestly for my hunting ways. 75% of my trail
Camera pics are over minerals- for the main reason I want to get in- and get out and know what deer my "hit list" will consist of. I agree there is a gray area and would like to see it all in or all out. I'm OK either way- and will change my style to conform. But as laws change- if it adds a benefit to me- will I use it- you better believe it.

• Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
200 down to 50? So that's the same as baiting being legal. Ughhh. The reality is - 200 should be more like 400 yards. Not other way around & down to 50 yards. The best & most realistic solution, IMO- leave all baiting laws the same with the mineral exemption. Solves a lot of issues and minerals are NOT bait in November- they just aren't. Simple. It really is simple and the solution but getting government involved- dang what a mess.

Last edited:
Daver and all, I sure wish I could point to a study that says mineral sites potentiate the spread of CWD, but I can't. I also can't point to a study that says they don't.

How many prions get passed from deer to deer by grooming, making scrapes, licking branches or any of the natural activities of deer? I don't know. How many prions are concentrated in a mineral pile that gets used over and over and over? I can't tell you that either. I've never seen a scrape that was more than an inch deep but I've seen plenty of mineral piles that end up several inches deep which means it would, anecdotally, contain more prions.

Again, anecdotally speaking, you haven't seen CWD spread from your mineral piles or mineral put out for cattle because luckily you don't have CWD in your area.

When CWD was found in Allamakee County I thought for sure the DNR would ban feeding/mineral piles in the immediate area. They didn't because the DNR is not in charge. When every other state that has confirmed cases of CWD banned feeding/mineral piles what does that mean? It means the preponderance of evidence shows that CWD can and is spread through feeding/mineral piles. It also means, to me, that other states are making decisions based on biology not politics.

I'm reminded of the old country docs who treated their patients empirically, based on experience and reason not a bunch of tests for this or tests for that. They had the experience and reason to tell them what to do. Perhaps we are using the wrong word. Perhaps empirical would be better suited than anecdotal.

I have long been a proponent of black and white when it comes to banning baiting. Not only for enforcement but for disease control. I can only hope that we aren't so short sighted that we continue to allow mineral piles and the spread of disease at the cost of our grandchildren's hunting.

I will add, that this is my personal opinion, not necessarily that of the IBA.

I remembered this post (no idea why) when listening to this podcast with Grant Woods a couple days ago. I found the conversation surrounding the spread of CWD related to baiting, mineral, etc extremely interesting. The fact that CWD and deer density are not correlated was fascinating as well. I would encourage anyone interested to listen to this. Sounds like Illinois has handled things well and has kept their affected rate below 1% despite having it present for a long time.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2016/07/05/1...-answers-questions-about-food-plots-cwd-more/

Top Bottom