Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

November movement

zattack10

We all have our buddies we text for buck movement but I want to get a thread on here dedicated to what the bucks and deer are doing!
November 2nd has been a good start to my week vacation. Three 3yr olds cruised by this morning, the biggest being a 145 10 who about got a rage sent his away! Located in a funnel and the bucks cruised by at 730, 830, and 10.

Nov 1st seen 130 8 out walkin by himself. Got his attention with a grunt but he kept on walking.

I leave Weds for Winn. Co till Sunday. Hoping the cool off towards the end of the week helps. I'm goin in blind with no scouting up there this year

Nov. 1st evening. Passed a mid 130s 4.5 year old at 43 yards. Only deer of the evening.

November first was one of my best days in the tree without releasing an arrow. In the morning I snort wheezed in a 145 inch 3 year old 10. Beautiful buck with a solid frame and 5 inch g4's. Passed him at 20 yards twice. For the evening sit I was sitting with the gf trying to get her her first bow deer. Get in stand about 145 and as I'm screwing in the bow holder she says "Big Buck!". I turn around just in time to see a 150" 10 jumping the fence at 10 yards. He starts heading the other way and I'm trying to get my bow in hand and I catch movement of a mature 9 point on the same trail. He was at 10 yards and stayed there for 5 minutes without us being able to move. He turned and went the other way. They weren't cruising and we're together because the neighbor was dining around on his 4wheeler and spooked them right to us. It was a couple great encounters. This is what we wait for all year.

Somewhat surprisingly (because of temps), yesterday afternoon movement was great. Honest to god almost shot a mature 10 on my way to the stand from my knees. Walked 15 yards from him with the wind all noise was masked. I got too far "into the wind" and he ended up smelling me before I could release an arrow. He never did see me. Exciting none-the-less. The morning was terrible for deer movement. I believe that was moon (brightness) related. I am guessing the next couple of days will be hit or miss with this summer like weather.

Halloween I had a good encounter with a 5+ year old 8 point that didn't grow at all from last year. He would have caught an arrow but never was close enough. He was out in the wide open nosing does with tons of daylight left.

I think this Saturday will be as good as it gets with cold. The moon will be perfect too (pretty much non-existent)

The weather looks great for the foreseeable future after Wednesday. Exciting time to be in the field in Iowa. Blessed.

I had three bucks come into range last night. The biggest only being a young 120 class 8 though. Very good movement all over in the field i was hunting. Did a bit of rattling to other bucks out further away to gauge their response but they showed no interest in it.

Sunday Morning saw 4 bucks cruising. First was a small 8 at first light. Then a 4 and 6 within 10 minutes of each other around 0900. Then on the way out at 10:30 saw another 4 pt with his head down.

I documented all my hunts in a note pad on my phone. So far, have not seen anything over 3.5 dogging does. Saw 2 4+ yr olds last weekend making scrapes and crusing so to speak, but no shooters yet. One thing to caution or consider is I always hear others say too early just the little guys are chasing......Is that really true or just per a capita do we have to factor in there are only so many mature, big bucks. Once a guy sees that first mature buck chasing it is all of a sudden "on". Be in a tree if you can and let the chips fall as they may. Once Thursday comes and temps come down it is a no brainer...

So far two yearlings,,one 2 yr old,,very small,,3 fawns,,2 does,,not as exciting as these other reports...

I said I wasn't getting out until Thursday PM and then you had to go and put this on here so I could read movement reports while at work:) I will prob be in a stand tomorrow morning hoping for chasing like crazy!

Just got to stand. Seen a 1.5 year old already. I hope things really pick up. Little to no breeze tonight. Should be an awesome sit.

Getting my work and fam time in during these hot days. I know it's a thread update on Movement but here's a "prediction"..... Harder rut due to "more bucks and better age class" in general. Due to little ehd for 2 yrs, light winters and no shed buck season. Nov 5-22 for most mature buck movement. Couple days of "lull" in there somewhere. Late November some mature cruisers. Now- some mature bucks going down but I think small fraction - most movement is 1-3 yr olds. Mature ones on occasion but not full steam or with significance til Thursday. That's my 2 cents and prediction. Just like weather predictions- I'm probably wrong but that's my guess :) good luck and I'll read the updates.

4 does and 3 small bucks. Bucks are cruising quite a bit. Mostly right before dusk. Got a pretty decent buck to my right working over some trees.

Saw 3 doe and 2 bucks this afternoon, including our number one hit lister at 3:50.

Also a coyote at 4:40 that didn't make it to 4:41.

Moved my 2 week vacation from starting Monday to starting Thursday due to weather. Still able to work and hunt out the back door in afternoon. 24 deer tonight. Nothing mature. Be back at it tomorrow.

Can't get out til thirsday but today diving from mason city to Charles city on the avenue (from 8-9) saw 4 different bucks tending does in wide open fields. Does were all bedded with the Bucks standing 20-40 yes away patiently waiting :)

Sent from my iPhone using IW

I've sat a few times and saw 3.5 yr bucks pushing young does, Saturday and this morning. I'm planning on working the next few days to hit it hard Thurs-Sun- cooler temps could spark something. I'm also of the opinion at least in my area (middle of the state) that I don't see my biggest bucks consistently active till mid to late Nov. Just my .02

On stand this morning, and so far i missed a 150 5+ year old brute. He was at 38 and ducked my arrow. He was chasing a doe early grunting real loud. Also have seen 2 yr old, and 3 forks out cruising. It is on in this area in extreme southeast iowa. I am not wasting a day for the next week. Will be in a tree.

Top Bottom