Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Thanks, Skip. What varieties would you recommend? Right now all CIR. Seems weakest in the bottom/wet areas. Will snap some pics today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CIR is great in iowa.
Kanlow is also very good. Kanlow is slightly better on bottom ground but still good on better upland soils. I would avoid kanlow on junk soils.
Liberty is another Great one but hard to find. Easy to find & good: Shawnee, sunburst & usually folks have option for an iowa ecotype. Any of above - I’d do 2, ideally 3 & be in great shape.

Oust ! SFM75
9d80d78f24eb86e0b2729eecf51ec086.jpg

Burned in March because time . Spayed 2 oz acre oust March 1st . Clean as whistle May 1 this area was getting bad with junk . Cleaned up nice . Nothing but switch . This is a 20 foot wide border on a food plot to conceal . Didn’t get the best burn but oust did the trick !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oust ! SFM75

Burned in March because time . Spayed 2 oz acre oust March 1st . Clean as whistle May 1 this area was getting bad with junk . Cleaned up nice . Nothing but switch . This is a 20 foot wide border on a food plot to conceal . Didn’t get the best burn but oust did the trick !!

You got lift off too!!! Your soils must be warmer - I haven’t seen any greening up but I do need to check. Looks good!!

At what point this spring is it too late to spray roundup on march drilled new switch plot? Ive got about 2 acres left out of a 15 acre area

Oust ! SFM75

Stuff I burned is back up. Stuff I didn't is not up. Fire def speeds up the process alot.

New planting you have TONS of time. Doesnt seem to come up till July 1 on new stuff alot of times.
Agree on this. I’d spray soon out of “safety”. There is some varieties that can germinate earlier than others. You are spot on for varieties like CIR & kanlow. Time yet. But- If mine, I’d probably drop a bomb on it.

10-4 will make a priority of it this week.

Go nuclear !! This is my spraying over the weekend....

A7D6A8A3-F3C4-4DA3-AD02-E2C7C5CF6D11.jpeg

I'm planning to drill switch in late May on fields that will be hit with round up/24-D soon and to spray Simazine when I plant the switch. I know it's best to spray early spring before things get going but wondering if it will still be effective?

I'm planning to drill switch in late May on fields that will be hit with round up/24-D soon and to spray Simazine when I plant the switch. I know it's best to spray early spring before things get going but wondering if it will still be effective?
Issue you will have is switch needs to stratify (freeze/thaw multiple times). Maybe you have done this an alternative way?

Super curious on this method. Have you done it before successfully?

I’ve done this several times , soaking in water for 24 hours , fridge for 30 days dry and plant . I did work the ground before I planted went heavy on atrazine 4 qts . Planted June 1 and had a great stand . I mixed in some pearl millet small amount was told if millet takes CIR would don’t know about that but both came up and great clean stand .

I am being advised that I should drill but I already Frost seeded. I haven't mowed the broadleafs yet. It is the first week in May. The areas I Frost seeded were last years beans and last years corn. I did spray Simazine and round up in March.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I am being advised that I should drill but I already Frost seeded. I haven't mowed the broadleafs yet. It is the first week in May. The areas I Frost seeded were last years beans and last years corn. I did spray Simazine and round up in March.

Id spray again and let it eat . How much simazine per acre did you put on ? Id possibly put a few more quarts per acre on at this point to keep it clean .Worst case it doesn’t come up till next year . Not sure what your seed rate was ?

Id spray again and let it eat . How much simazine per acre did you put on ? Id possibly put a few more quarts per acre on at this point to keep it clean .Worst case it doesn’t come up till next year . Not sure what your seed rate was ?

2.5 quarts per acre

8 pounds per acre.

Top Bottom