Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Prolly the best first year stand of switch I've had. This was planted late May. This was rototilled, Broadcast, and cultipacked in.
Screenshot_20220722-184654_Gallery.jpg

It really doesn’t look that bad. If I saw that right- your switch plants look like they are coming through - just crowded.

Few options…. Clipping asap is perfect. Since you did that- u opened the canopy & those switch plants should be just fine. Could leave it at that. Clip once more later if needed.

Herbicides if you wanted …. Atrazine or simazine & crop oil. Or labeled rate of 2,4-d would probably be the best option. If a lot of foxtail - quinclorac & methylated seed oil. All of these are options & optional. If it were mine- I probably would mow it…. Assess in a week or 2…. 2,4-d as needed.
Good deal. Gonna get on the mowing again this week. Glad to heat that i'm stil in the game. It just looks weak compared to the pristine 2nd year switch I have in the back field.

Anyone ever seen this? Second year switch, some of the plants have purple on them. There are plants within feet of these that are perfectly green. I am just curious if anyone has seen this on theirs. It's hard to see in the picture but even the seed hulls are purple. There's nothing I'm going to do about it but am just curious what it could be.
fe546df73b0a9b6f537dde025a61edd2.jpg
28e5ab18ba33500e2afa277b03f1bebe.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Anyone ever seen this? Second year switch, some of the plants have purple on them. There are plants within feet of these that are perfectly green. I am just curious if anyone has seen this on theirs. It's hard to see in the picture but even the seed hulls are purple. There's nothing I'm going to do about it but am just curious what it could be.

heat & stress. could throw lack of moisture into that as well. if we got a pile of 1-2" rains, it likely would go back to dark green. i wouldn't be concerned

Here is something interesting. I put some switchgrass seed right by my deck out front...it was typical frost seed time. Well it started to germinate and I would say sometime in June it was probably about 3-4" tall. Well my wonderful mother in law decided that she would help herself to pulling a "weed" out. After I came out of my skin and told her that wasn't a weed, she then dug it out of the waste bin and shoved it back in the ground....I stomped around for a few weeks and stared at a plant that was very weird colored...well as the summer progressed I watered it a bit and then I noticed it was turning green again, well fast forward to today and it's now taller than my garbage can!!!! It appears switch is nearly indestructible...hahaha
998f104952dcac928f6e1124333512c4.jpg

Here is something interesting. I put some switchgrass seed right by my deck out front...it was typical frost seed time. Well it started to germinate and I would say sometime in June it was probably about 3-4" tall. Well my wonderful mother in law decided that she would help herself to pulling a "weed" out. After I came out of my skin and told her that wasn't a weed, she then dug it out of the waste bin and shoved it back in the ground....I stomped around for a few weeks and stared at a plant that was very weird colored...well as the summer progressed I watered it a bit and then I noticed it was turning green again, well fast forward to today and it's now taller than my garbage can!!!! It appears switch is nearly indestructible...hahaha
998f104952dcac928f6e1124333512c4.jpg

Pretty wild how much people pay for one switchgrass plant!!!!!
We landscape with natives & flowers too. Hides my electric box perfect!!

Is it worth spraying gly in very late October on a field that I frost seeded this past March? Or is it better to wait until the cool season stuff greens up in the spring? I wasn't able to confirm whether any came up this summer.

Top Bottom