Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Future of Iowa Hunting - Rumors Flying

??

So the only people that hunt your land is the neighbors! So they can keep an eye on the property! How far off is that from what i already said? Now why would you care to come to Iowa to shoot a doe; if you have Iowa hunters already to control the population? As far as leasing your land or whatever you want to do; i could care less. If you can't afford the taxes on your land; sell it. I'm sick of hearing the whining from the NR landowners. Why did you buy land in Iowa to begin with?

I let a few locals hunt the farm, what is wrong with that, it's 80 acres (mostly tillable and CRP) I can't have 15 people hunting the farm. I've owned land for 5 years now, two different parcels and I have never deer hunted in Iowa. Bought it as an investment, which has worked out well, prices have climbed, cash rents have almost doubled. No problem paying taxes (never said I couldn't pay them).

The only reason I made a comment to you was that you said NR landowners should not have any rights. I, along with many others, think that is a ridiculous statement. In most cases locals feel we should have rights as landowners, I have yet to meet any local Iowa resident in person (while shed hunting, turkey hunting, etc..) that agrees with your statement.

What would happen to our country if all states had your attitude, I can tell you one thing, nobody would own any lake property in my home state. We treat NR with respect, and most Iowans treat me with respect, there are a few like you that territorial and would like to keep the hunting and the 2 to 3 buck limits to themselves. As far as whining, I think you have done plenty---read your posts.

MONEY,MONEY,MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look to the right! See Illinois?????????? :confused: If you don't own it......It's for sale!!

I guess you didn't reat the "IF" part Risto.

Archery I did read the IF part.
With the limited number of COs I actually ignored that If.
I highly doubt they will give up party hunting with the NR needing
some income to help with the shortfalls.
They will have a hard time monitoring it. I do not think it is very realistic.

If we only want to add 2000 NR why not offer a second archery tag
to residents at a NR price?

So the only people that hunt your land is the neighbors! So they can keep an eye on the property! How far off is that from what i already said? Now why would you care to come to Iowa to shoot a doe; if you have Iowa hunters already to control the population? As far as leasing your land or whatever you want to do; i could care less. If you can't afford the taxes on your land; sell it. I'm sick of hearing the whining from the NR landowners. Why did you buy land in Iowa to begin with?

Well said Cedar Creek. :way: Hardwood11, perhaps next fall I could keep an eye on your property??? I'm just trying to find some good private ground in my home state to hunt.

Archery I did read the IF part.
With the limited number of COs I actually ignored that If.
I highly doubt they will give up party hunting with the NR needing
some income to help with the shortfalls.
They will have a hard time monitoring it. I do not think it is very realistic.

If we only want to add 2000 NR why not offer a second archery tag
to residents at a NR price?

I really like the suggestion of offering a second archery tag to residents at a NR price. I guarentee they would all be bought.

hunting spot

Sep0667:

My recommendation would be to buy some land so you can have a place to hunt and not expect someone else to provide a spot for you. If you can't afford to buy it, save some money, cut back on items such as high cell phone fees and then make the purchase.:way:

Sep0667:

My recommendation would be to buy some land so you can have a place to hunt and not expect someone else to provide a spot for you. If you can't afford to buy it, save some money, cut back on items such as high cell phone fees and then make the purchase.:way:

Sorry, I'm only in college so it'll be probably at least 10 years before I would be able to afford buying it. But by then there probably won't be any land left to buy, it will probably be all bought up or leased out.

land

Sorry, I'm only in college so it'll be probably at least 10 years before I would be able to afford buying it. But by then there probably won't be any land left to buy, it will probably be all bought up or leased out.

If you put your mind to it, it won't take 10 years, I do hope you can find some property. I finished college in 1992, and I thought the same thing you did, but I saved some money and bought some land in 1999, and I am not wealthy by any means. It must be a goal...there will always be land for sale, and the prices are cyclical.

If you put your mind to it, it won't take 10 years, I do hope you can find some property. I finished college in 1992, and I thought the same thing you did, but I saved some money and bought some land in 1999, and I am not wealthy by any means. It must be a goal...there will always be land for sale, and the prices are cyclical.

I do save my money and that is a major goal of mine. Hearing that you were able to do it soon is reassuring. I'm not trying to butt heads with you at all. I'm just stating my opinion on why I don't like NR tags being increased. I'm just using you as an example to show that heres some land in my home state that I can't hunt becasue a NR bought that pieace of ground. This goes to support my case that an increase in 2000 NR tags means thats just another foothold for more NR to buy up land, resulting in me and others like me having fewer and fewer places to hunt. Also goes to show that hunting is just turning into who has the money now-a-days.

One thing I will say as a word of warning to Iowa hunters: never trust anything your DNR says. Speaking from personal experience as a Wisconsin hunter, I can tell you without a question that the DNR has effectively ruined deer hunting in my county. By using their counts and "models", they determined that our zone was overpopulated. we had the earn-a-buck for a couple years, to the point where there was a massive drop off in population. Last year we didn't see even close to the deer numbers we saw in years past. This year is a million times worse. Between 3 of us, from sunup to 10am, we saw a combined 5 deer. This in Southwest Wisconsin, in the heart of farm country and near two major river systems, AKA prime deer habitat, and we're seeing a handful of deer on a good day. It's absolutely ludicrous, and with the Republicans in control of the government again, I think we'll finally see some heads start to roll. That's really a situation that could happen even in Iowa if the insurance lobby gets strong enough.

Iowa is really an issue of haves vs have nots. Those that don't "have" the land also don't want anyone else to "have" it. Hate to break it to some of you guys, but this isn't the 1970's or 80's anymore. You can't go and knock on 10 doors and get to hunt 9. Yes, it's bad that some people are being forced out of places to hunt, but its reality. Unless you've lived under a rock the last 15 years, you should know that land values for recreational land have sky rocketed. everybody wants their own 40 or 80, not to mention land offers a terrific investment opportunity. And I hate to break it to some of you, people have to spend money to buy land. They have to forego using that money towards something else and put it towards land. While some might have more discretionary income to buy that land, they still had to buy it. And guess what? You can too. Sitting on an internet message board bashing non-residents for buying land in your state isn't getting you any closer to having the only fool-proof guaranteed way to having your own place to hunt ever year: buying your own.

Another thing I never see any of you non-resident bashers acknowledge: generational land turnover. What happens when the current landowners pass away and give the land to their children, who arent always from iowa? What happens when your kids don't live in the state of iowa and you want them to come back and hunt? or inherit your land and hunt it one day? Iowa State did the study already about generational land turnover in the state of Iowa, but I'm sure most Non-Resident bashers would struggle to believe that.

One thing I haven't seen brought up here yet but why not have the state of Iowa acquire more public lands? Wisconsin just got under a million dollars in the Farm Bill for the DNR to lease 16,000 acres from private landowners for public access. also, i know personally there's places like Effigy Mounds in Northeast iowa, 2,000 acres of woods and nobody hunting. Granted, it's federal jurisdiction, but land thats going to waste nonetheless.

land

sep: This issue comes up quite often on this site. I'm sure you and Cedar Creek are good guys. I have advocated on here for landowner rights (firm believer in it) as I am a conservative all the way. I'm not asking for a tag every year, cannot afford one every year anyway. A 3-4 year wait is too long.

The days of someone else providing a hunting spot for you free of charge are dimishing, sad but true. As KBNelson pointed out there are have's and have nots. You will just have to save your money and be a have, otherwise, the future of land access is cloudy at best.

This is the course that I have taken, I drive a 2002 pickup, have an average home, never bought an ATV or snowmobile, cheap cell phone plan etc,,, but I have made an effort to buy some land in MN and Iowa and now at least I have a spot to hunt. Good luck in your goal of buying a farm someday---it will happen.

Even if you have some land of your own to hunt in Iowa, doesn't mean you will have that much better hunting from the state you came from. I moved here from N. MI. Another deer, ruined by the DNR, State. At first the deer hunting,, in my opinion,, was hands down, way better. Now it is heading the same way as MI. Iowa,,being the much coveted deer hunt destination, is changing and may not be such a dream come true, for hunters, in the future. Only way you can keep a local herd,,on your property, you can manage numbers on, is to own,,,, alot,,,,of land,and not many can.

One thing I will say as a word of warning to Iowa hunters: never trust anything your DNR says. Speaking from personal experience as a Wisconsin hunter, I can tell you without a question that the DNR has effectively ruined deer hunting in my county. By using their counts and "models", they determined that our zone was overpopulated. we had the earn-a-buck for a couple years, to the point where there was a massive drop off in population. Last year we didn't see even close to the deer numbers we saw in years past. This year is a million times worse. Between 3 of us, from sunup to 10am, we saw a combined 5 deer. This in Southwest Wisconsin, in the heart of farm country and near two major river systems, AKA prime deer habitat, and we're seeing a handful of deer on a good day. It's absolutely ludicrous, and with the Republicans in control of the government again, I think we'll finally see some heads start to roll. That's really a situation that could happen even in Iowa if the insurance lobby gets strong enough.

Iowa is really an issue of haves vs have nots. Those that don't "have" the land also don't want anyone else to "have" it. Hate to break it to some of you guys, but this isn't the 1970's or 80's anymore. You can't go and knock on 10 doors and get to hunt 9. Yes, it's bad that some people are being forced out of places to hunt, but its reality. Unless you've lived under a rock the last 15 years, you should know that land values for recreational land have sky rocketed. everybody wants their own 40 or 80, not to mention land offers a terrific investment opportunity. And I hate to break it to some of you, people have to spend money to buy land. They have to forego using that money towards something else and put it towards land. While some might have more discretionary income to buy that land, they still had to buy it. And guess what? You can too. Sitting on an internet message board bashing non-residents for buying land in your state isn't getting you any closer to having the only fool-proof guaranteed way to having your own place to hunt ever year: buying your own.

Another thing I never see any of you non-resident bashers acknowledge: generational land turnover. What happens when the current landowners pass away and give the land to their children, who arent always from iowa? What happens when your kids don't live in the state of iowa and you want them to come back and hunt? or inherit your land and hunt it one day? Iowa State did the study already about generational land turnover in the state of Iowa, but I'm sure most Non-Resident bashers would struggle to believe that.

One thing I haven't seen brought up here yet but why not have the state of Iowa acquire more public lands? Wisconsin just got under a million dollars in the Farm Bill for the DNR to lease 16,000 acres from private landowners for public access. also, i know personally there's places like Effigy Mounds in Northeast iowa, 2,000 acres of woods and nobody hunting. Granted, it's federal jurisdiction, but land thats going to waste nonetheless.
Effigy Mounds is sacred ground! What are you talking about? Even the government workers that work there got in trouble for disturbing a mound this year putting a board walk in. If it wasn't Indian sacred ground; it would be corn fields like most of Iowa. We're talking about raising money for the DNR, and you're talking about spending more money. And if the DNR could come up with this extra money; where besides Indian burial ground would you suggest? As for kids inheriting land. What kind of land are you talking about? 10 or 20 acre parcels? I haven't heard of anybody inheriting a farm in this day and age! If they did; i would hope they would move back to their roots and farmed the land. Please you guys from out of state that buy 40 or 80 acres and want to be treated like a resident farmer really get my goat! Next you'll be lobbying to hunt other land also, because your land doesn't have enough bucks on it. Now lastly i hate to rain on everybodys parade, but everybody can't buy a piece of land in Iowa to hunt. For one thing there isn't that much recreational land for sale. That is why the land prices have raised so much. If it gets any higher; it'll be competing with cropland prices. That does remind me though; i may have 20 acres of ravines for sale.

I would agree with paying a little extra for my resident tag to make up the difference of the proposed NR tags. I have lost nearly 200 acres of private hunting ground due to two seperate Outfitters leasing the properties. For your voice to be heard you need to speak up. I don't know of any state reps that read these posts. Write them and let them know who they are representing. Iowa citizens, not out of staters.

I would agree with paying a little extra for my resident tag to make up the difference of the proposed NR tags. I have lost nearly 200 acres of private hunting ground due to two seperate Outfitters leasing the properties. For your voice to be heard you need to speak up. I don't know of any state reps that read these posts. Write them and let them know who they are representing. Iowa citizens, not out of staters.

Well said Hittman!:way:

Anybody Have 5 Acres

I'm just looking for a 5 acre strip about 50 yards wide right down the middle of some prime private ground, I don't shoot more than 25 yards usually. I think I can swing the cost of a piece that size if I stop spending money on less important things like gas, food and clothes. :rolleyes: Not EVERYONE can afford land to hunt on, As far as Effigy Mounds goes it's BS that we can't hunt there since we are all paying for it with our Federal taxes just like BLM land out west. :moon:

land

I'm just looking for a 5 acre strip about 50 yards wide right down the middle of some prime private ground, I don't shoot more than 25 yards usually. I think I can swing the cost of a piece that size if I stop spending money on less important things like gas, food and clothes. :rolleyes: Not EVERYONE can afford land to hunt on,

Of course not, but did you know what you just described above actually exists if you look. Example; 7.65 acres in Decatur County, IA wooded river bottom with a food plot location off the road location with deeded easement, perfect setup that could be hunted during the early season, rut and late season. $16,000 asking price...probably could be bought for less.

How much will it cost a person---purchase price $15,000 ($2,000 down) bank loan on $13,000. 7 year loan @ 6.0% would cost $190/month
10 year loan would cost $145/month

Gannon Real Estate in Ames Iowa 888-853-6999

High cell phone bills, bar tabs sometime exceed that dollar amount. There are quite a few hunters that have never researched the cost of owning land, and this is a small example, but keep in mind tillable or CRP income or even timber sales often offset the cost of the payment or the taxes.

One thing I haven't seen brought up here yet but why not have the state of Iowa acquire more public lands?
Does any % of hunting licences go to such things as it does here? Just curious as I believe here it is currently somewhere around 33% of fees.

Effigy Mounds should stay off-limits. End of story.

Yes, we need to acquire more public land and Kaare I can't answer your question with a factual number. But I can say that there is a reason many members on here whine about paying for bike trails!

That's why I was active in Pheasants Forever while in college. In the 3 years I was very active we put money towards 3 different land acquisitions for PUBLIC USE! The last bit of ground the state acquired for public hunting that I heard about was a couple years ago... and it was donated, not purchased. I haven't heard about any big purchases for awhile. Can anybody set me straight on this?

Top Bottom