Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

Is the bottom of your bin a screen or all one plastic mold with holes in it?

Experimenting with this years fridge germ'd chestnuts. Some Burr and Swamp White as well. Started several inside, individual in both 5 gal and 2 gal grow bags, and the rest in community pots for the summer.

In the same boat, not sure if I should break up and pot them or let em ride. Maybe fall plant a few of those and carry the rest through winter. Not sure what's best
This what i did.

Wondering if this isn't a better method than individual potting. Trees are fighting for sunlight and growing taller quicker than they do in pots.
Screenshot_20240604_093125_Gallery.jpg

How easy will it be to separate the trees/roots when planting in their final spot?
I have 10 growing in a mineral tub and that's my concern. You have a whole lot more than I do, what's your thoughts?

I hope so! Curious when I should expect to see some growth popping up?
Chestnuts will die if frozen under 25 degrees F is my understanding. don't know where you're at, but many will mulch them if planting as a nut outside and winter temps dip below that.
I put mine in the fridge and it took 4-5 months for me to see roots. I seen some guys say it only takes a couple months but mine took a lot longer than that.
I currently have 26 trees from 32 total nuts from last year. 70 percent survival is expected from what I read.

Even with efforts carrying over chestnuts seems to be a fruitless endeavor. Most die on me. Oaks carry over much easier.
I think peat moss is the ticket for stratification in the fridge. I initially just had mine in a plastic bag with a moist paper towel but after 3 months of not seeing much progress I put moist potting soil in the bags for another couple months and that seemed to help get them going.

I think peat moss is the ticket for stratification in the fridge. I initially just had mine in a plastic bag with a moist paper towel but after 3 months of not seeing much progress I put moist potting soil in the bags for another couple months and that seemed to help get them going.
I was talking about carrying over actual potted trees thru the winter (not seed)

I was talking about carrying over actual potted trees thru the winter (not seed)
Did you say most of your potted carry over chestnuts die? I don't like hearing that as I was going to try that this year for the first time. Is the work around to just get them in the soil or I wonder what the solution is to that....

Did you say most of your potted carry over chestnuts die? I don't like hearing that as I was going to try that this year for the first time. Is the work around to just get them in the soil or I wonder what the solution is to that....
Yes. Dead. Far better fall planting if growing in pots thru summer. I kept them in my garage over the winter. Didn't work for chestnuts. Worked for all the oaks.

Last edited:
If you have a barn or some other structure that will keep them dormant but more temperature constant that'd help a lot.

Best solution is to just plant them in early fall to give them plenty of time to "settle" in for winter.

Last fall, some ozark chinquapins I transplanted out of some 2-3 gallon bags are looking great this spring

Top Bottom