Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

I have a 2 acre hay field I'm looking to transition into early successional growth for deer habitat next year. Within that I'm planning to plant a few trees, primarily for wildlife benefit. I was thinking 1) Chestnuts 2) Swamp White Oaks. Both fast growing and deer love them. I was also thinking some fruit trees but it's close to the road and the further portion from the road is in a low spot that I'm not sure fruit trees would thrive in.

Any other suggestions for 'deer trees' in a small 2 acre field?

I have a 2 acre hay field I'm looking to transition into early successional growth for deer habitat next year. Within that I'm planning to plant a few trees, primarily for wildlife benefit. I was thinking 1) Chestnuts 2) Swamp White Oaks. Both fast growing and deer love them. I was also thinking some fruit trees but it's close to the road and the further portion from the road is in a low spot that I'm not sure fruit trees would thrive in.

Any other suggestions for 'deer trees' in a small 2 acre field?

I have a similar situation and I went mostly Schuettes oaks instead of SWO to hopefully get a little quicker growth and acorn bearing and also mixed in some spruce, red osier dogwood, and arrowood viburnum for browse and cover.

Finally had a weekend with some time so I got some acorns, chestnuts and hazelnuts in some dirt in the garage. Got 19 trays planted but still have a bunch of seeds left.
20240310_173957.jpg

Currently in my 4th winter starting trees from acorn/chestnut. Have been getting them started under lights in 10" cone-tainers, then transplanting and tubing them sometime around the end of April after the frosts are mostly gone. That has yielded the best results for my situation so far. I've potted some into year two but it's way more bulky and I haven't experienced much extra growth to outweigh the cone method. I also don't have a greenhouse setup or anything so I'm sure that makes a difference!!

What does everyone consider when selecting the specific oak to start acorns from?

My first year I was acorn happy but soon realized they don't all grow the same, so I've become more selective with a few specific tree's based on a trait that stands out. Acorn size also seems to be a good indicator for above average growth I've noticed. Has anyone else noticed that?

This is the best one I've come across so far. Started from acorn and planted as an 18" seedling spring '22. This pic is from September '23, and its well out of the 5ft tube. I have 15 just like it from the same crop. Some sort of english/swamp natural hybrid I am told. Pretty fun stuff!

1710174618674.jpeg

That looks like great success. What temp do you like to keep them at in the cone-tainers and what soil do you use? When do you start them and how often do you water? How deep do you put them in?

That looks like great success. What temp do you like to keep them at in the cone-tainers and what soil do you use? When do you start them and how often do you water? How deep do you put them in?
I just have them in my basement under a cheap grow light all winter, so maybe low 60's. Surely a warmer temp they would do even better. Use straight peat. I take the peat in bucket, mix in some water so the peat is extremely damp, antibacterial dish soap (stops mold), and sevin (stops gnats from forming). Mix it all together - could use your hands or electric drill with an auger bit. Either or works but the drill is way cleaner.

I usually start them around Christmas time when cabin fever starts to creep in. One cone tainer flat (98 trees) will fit inside one large dollar store tub.

A tree legend in my state showed me all of this when I was starting so I can't take any credit for it. I'm all ears if someone has a better indoor system

My first year I was acorn happy but soon realized they don't all grow the same, so I've become more selective with a few specific tree's based on a trait that stands out. Acorn size also seems to be a good indicator for above average growth I've noticed. Has anyone else noticed that?
I've noticed that, which makes sense since a larger acorn has more energy to throw at a growing seedling.

Of course genetics also play a factor to coincide with acorn size.

Top Bottom