Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ALERT: Branstand on Sportsmans Notebook

tslc

PMA Member
I caught the last of the show just to hear Terry Branstad say we need to allow more out of state deer hunters. I was on the fence about him for raising our sale tax in the past now I know I will not vote for him.

I dont think Branstad was saying we need to open the state for over the counter tags for crazy our of staters. I think he was wanting to market our hunting opportunites to out of stateres to help our rurarl economies. Without out of state hunters coming in for pheasant season, we need to use or deeer herd and turkey population to compensate. Many local businesses rely on out of state hunters to make the payroll, or just make ends meet. I am all for marketing our deer hunting more and helping local motels and restaurants survive and keep people employed. I am opposed to over the counter out of state deer licenses. I have a call into his office to clarifyu his position!!!

I dont think Branstad was saying we need to open the state for over the counter tags for crazy our of staters. I think he was wanting to market our hunting opportunites to out of stateres to help our rurarl economies. Without out of state hunters coming in for pheasant season, we need to use or deeer herd and turkey population to compensate. Many local businesses rely on out of state hunters to make the payroll, or just make ends meet. I am all for marketing our deer hunting more and helping local motels and restaurants survive and keep people employed. I am opposed to over the counter out of state deer licenses. I have a call into his office to clarifyu his position!!!

If you would please let us know what they say.

Last edited:
instead of claiming you WON'T vote for him based on a single issue, perhaps you should make an attempt to contact them and remind him that he needs to keep Iowans FIRST!

http://governorbranstad2010.com/contact-us/

Send them a quick email. Respectfully let them know why you feel the way you do and have your friends do the same. I don't like hearing that he would support more NR's, but unfortunately, there are far more issues that are just as important, if not more than deer hunting, which is why I have a Branstad sign in my yard....

As a state, we need this change, moving forward depends on it. HOWEVER, if enough of us remind him that we represent the Sportsman's Vote and that he needs to act with US in mind, he might take the correct stand on this issue.

There is still time to have an impact as a whole! it doesnt take much, spend the 5 minutes and let him know how you feel! PLEASE!!! I feel it safe to say, he will be our next Gov., so it is imperative that he hears this stuff now!

I just sent an email and all of you should too!

I'm fine with more out of state hunters........but.....I'd like to see them pay double what they are now.

I'm fine with more out of state hunters........but.....I'd like to see them pay double what they are now.
I'm not! And so for the right price tag it's fine to increase the number of NR tags? And after a 5 to 10 yr. influx of larger numbers of NR's taking more deer; will it be ok to lower the tag prices to keep the NR's coming to Iowa? At what cost, and in what state will many of us look to have a quality whitetail hunt once we've opened our state up?

I disagree as well. Price is not too bad right now, but its definitly higher than anywhere else.

I've often wondered what it would be like if they raised the quota from 6000 to 8000. Not a huge jump, but would be quite a bit more money for DNR.

The only reason I don't want to see the jump that I mentioned before is, where would they stop if they raised it to 8000 one year, would it double the next?

Branstad drives me crazy, and I'm NOT even a democrat!!! A bunch of people had worked years ago when he was governor to get a dove bill pass...they got it all the way through then he vetoed it!!! GRRRRR

Branstad drives me crazy, and I'm NOT even a democrat!!! A bunch of people had worked years ago when he was governor to get a dove bill pass...they got it all the way through then he vetoed it!!! GRRRRR

I was at a town-hall meeting with him recently and he said "I will sign a dove bill"

so that shouldn't be a worry.... if it gets laid on his desk, it will get passed!

Tom Vilsack voted to veto the dove bill in 2000, brandstad was out of office. Brandstad worked to get one to his desk every year he was in office and, according to when I asked him last month, will again!!

I was alive and well when Branstad vetoed the bill as well when he was governor, and like I said this is NOOO Culver endorsement, just a statement to say Brandstad drove me nuts with that stuff. Iowa had a lot more hunting momentum at the time...pheasant numbers were high and so were the out of state hunters, but there was also very little leasing that took place at that time.

Out of state hunters drive me up the wall as well, but rest assured Gov. Brandstad did not veto a dove bill. I can certifiably garronteeeee that did not happen. If you can find me an article or entry in legislative journal that says otherwise I will mail you a 20 bass pro gift card. Scouts honor...

instead of claiming you WON'T vote for him based on a single issue, perhaps you should make an attempt to contact them and remind him that he needs to keep Iowans FIRST!

Send them a quick email. Respectfully let them know why you feel the way you do and have your friends do the same. I don't like hearing that he would support more NR's, but unfortunately, there are far more issues that are just as important, if not more than deer hunting, which is why I have a Branstad sign in my yard....

As a state, we need this change, moving forward depends on it. HOWEVER, if enough of us remind him that we represent the Sportsman's Vote and that he needs to act with US in mind, he might take the correct stand on this issue.

There is still time to have an impact as a whole! it doesnt take much, spend the 5 minutes and let him know how you feel! PLEASE!!! I feel it safe to say, he will be our next Gov., so it is imperative that he hears this stuff now!

I just sent an email and all of you should too!

I sent an e-mail as well. I encourage everyone to do so, it only takes a few minutes.

Brandstad is still a republican. My experience has taught me that republicans will vote where ever the money tells them to. That alone scares me! The fact that Brandstad would make a statement like increasing NR tags; scares me even more! I'm not endorsing Culver either, but a statement like that from Brandstad will certainly weigh heavy come election time.

Brandstad is still a republican. My experience has taught me that republicans will vote where ever the money tells them to. That alone scares me!

ahahahahaha, and the Liberals don't?????? Health Care, Stimulus, Cap and Trade.... the list gets MUCH longer...... :rolleyes:

Thats a huge Crock of %^&*

The fact that Brandstad would make a statement like increasing NR tags; scares me even more! I'm not endorsing Culver either, but a statement like that from Brandstad will certainly weigh heavy come election time.

So make a difference and send him an email..... getting on here and making a decision about your vote based on HEAR-SAY is foolish....

You might as well consider Branstad a shoe-in. Culver's hole is way too deep and I'd bet my last dollar he won't get re-elected, especially with a 30% something approval rating.... better get to work and let Branstad know!!!!

please.....

:way:

If anyone does call to see where he stands on this issue
please let us all know.(NR deer hunters).

Did anybody else here him say this on the Sportsman's Notebook?

I suppose I ought to chime in on this one since I am now a nonresident. I lived near Terry Branstad and trapped and bowhunted his relative's farms. I am now a Minnesota resident and it costs me almost $600 for a deer tag, plus I can only come back to hunt once every 3 years or so. The answer is not allowing more nonresident tags, but there must be some way to allow for those of us who have friends and family in Iowa, while not rewarding wealthy nonresidents who can buy up large tracts of land. Frankly, being an Iowan at heart, it concerns me that there are wealthy people and outfitters restricting a lot of land and making it tough for the average guy to find a place to hunt. When I grew up in Iowa, I could go knock on doors and find places to hunt. It's really tough to do that today and that is not good for the future of hunting. That's my primary concern. By the way, Terry Branstad was an excellent Governor and he was always the outdoorsman's friend. When I was on the board of directors of the Iowa Trapper's Assn, I always knew I had his ear and he was on our side.

Top Bottom