Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alfalfa

Drilling 2 acres of RR alfalfa on Saturday. Ground is prepared and lime has been added. Going to use Cereal Rye as a cover crop. 606NT Landpride Drill. How much rye should I add? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Drilling 2 acres of RR alfalfa on Saturday. Ground is prepared and lime has been added. Going to use Cereal Rye as a cover crop. 606NT Landpride Drill. How much rye should I add? Thanks in advance.

I've always used half rate on cereal grains when put in as a cover crop.

Just found out that corn was planted in the two acre area I was going to plant. Should I still plant it there? Or just store it? Does alfalfa seed go bad?

Just found out that corn was planted in the two acre area I was going to plant. Should I still plant it there? Or just store it? Does alfalfa seed go bad?

Alfalfa stores fine. Cool dry place.
What about the corn now? What’s situation?
I like oats over rye for cover crop in spring. Gets up much faster.

Alfalfa stores fine. Cool dry place.
What about the corn now? What’s situation?
I like oats over rye for cover crop in spring. Gets up much faster.
Corn is in. My neighbor planted the corn for me cause I was out of town. He ventured in the area I was planning on seeding it.

Not a big deal. Just hold off till next year.

Few Question : I planted RR Alfalfa last fall in my double tree mix.. I believe a little thick on the oats and rye , got really tall .. I mowed, I see a lot of Alfalfa but it's really small. Thinking I should add some P/K ? I am sure lack of rain is not helping . Next time I think I need to kill off the rye and oats early .. It's small Plot 1/2 Acre.. Going drill red clover this fall of it doesn't take off.. Thoughts !

Well I planted my first plot of Alfalfa last fall .. After working through a few mistakes it looks fantastic. it is out performing my white clover as that is planted on a high knob next to it . I for sure think Alfalfa is better with less moisture from what I am seeing . I have had a time getting clover to take off there and the alfalfa did the trick after I released it with a spray of round up and added some 19-19-19 .. Looks to be a better option at this point. So far it has not gotten unmanageable for me yet .. Deer have kept in check and I have mowed twice .. Lots of deers in it too !!

Well I planted my first plot of Alfalfa last fall .. After working through a few mistakes it looks fantastic. it is out performing my white clover as that is planted on a high knob next to it . I for sure think Alfalfa is better with less moisture from what I am seeing . I have had a time getting clover to take off there and the alfalfa did the trick after I released it with a spray of round up and added some 19-19-19 .. Looks to be a better option at this point. So far it has not gotten unmanageable for me yet .. Deer have kept in check and I have mowed twice .. Lots of deers in it too !!
How big of an area are deer taking care of? Always wonder about alfalfa plots that never get bailed.

How big of an area are deer taking care of? Always wonder about alfalfa plots that never get bailed.

It a small strip about .4 of a acre , Ill keep you posted on what happens like I mentioned first year growth so I don't know what to expect honestly ... I have an acre plot I liked to try but wondering same as you. Ill post some pic's next month .

70a223b8af237031a5e8f4fb0dd837ee.jpg

It's 110 yards long and 50 feet wide strip .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Round Up Ready? I'm been considering alfalfa on the same size plot to simplify food plotting on my "away" farm. It's on a ridge top where clover looked good.....until it didn't due to dry conditions.

Can anyone recommend where to buy? I’m thinking about trying some RR seed this fall.
I purchased mine from Seed ranch. I have purchased Egyptian Wheat from them for years and never had a issue. I purchased the Ameristand verity.

Alfalfa doing awesome !!!
af706056fe4732f9f64ea4df6daa31c3.jpg

Nothing but fertilized !! First year . Piles of deer keeping it mowed . I just drilled another acre on other section of farm that's a high hilly plot , struggled with clover in both . Alfalfa is flourishing . Lesson learned for me . Clover lower , wetter soils and alfalfa on higher dry soils seems to be my take on my place !!!

Any of you guys get aphids in your alfalfa? Around here they have to spray every year of the aphids hammer it.

Top Bottom