Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

How long after germination of brassicas should a person spray with clethodim and crop oil? Thanks

I'd skip the crop oil and just go with the clethodim. Wait till your brassicas leaf out and almost form a canopy unless your getting a big flush of grasses already. I've got some johnson grass I'll have to watch close and might spray this week on one plot.

FYI- clethodim requires crop oil to work properly and effectively. I would avoid spraying on a super hot blazing day but I do that with any herbicides.
The idea behind spraying grasses on turnips & radish is similar to beans... U want to time it so the weeds have not started to dominate plants but u ideally would like to spray at a point where when the grass dies- the turnips & radish will be able to canopy over any new growth. Rule of thumb without seeing it and going off top of my head.... Maybe 2-3 weeks after germination. (So when u get 1st rain) - 2-3 weeks is ballpark just fine. I'd check them though and some grass problems are different & worse than others.

I'd skip the crop oil and just go with the clethodim. Wait till your brassicas leaf out and almost form a canopy unless your getting a big flush of grasses already. I've got some johnson grass I'll have to watch close and might spray this week on one plot.

Yep I was wrong on the crop oil. Thinking of something else. Always good to read the label over and over again.

Label says 6-8 oz/a in Brassicas. I tend to go on the heavy side..... like 10. You may be able to go higher....?

For clover the label says up to 16 oz/a.

Crop oil is 1% v/v

I always over do Clethodim. Naughty. I know. 20 oz. I have "never" had my crop plant damaged period & this goes back to well over a decade of use on a lot of plots each yr. I am over label though. Had troubles with lighter rates in past. Just opinion but to be clear- I am over labeled rate for what I do.
Crop oil- I go according to label. Different crop oils are "hotter" than others. Do read the label. There's some u use at 1/2 rate of standard so do follow that label closely depending on what u have.

I like late pm. But splitting hairs. I don't like am just cause of dew which really won't have any impact or little. I just avoid having herbicides on plants when it's 100 degrees and sunny. That's all. I've cooked some plants before but really u can get away with most spraying times. Just to be safe- I'd avoid blazing & cooking hot days when sun full force.

I burned off two, 1 acre plots and seeded over the weekend. One plot I got a really good spray and kill over the last few weeks and a great burn with now bare soil; the other plot didn't kill all that well so not that great of a burn. This is just one shot of the burn. Could have just skipped the burn since it had been bailed and wasn’t very thick but I thought I’d have a better shot at scratching up the soil with it gone. It will be interesting to see which plot turns out better; the one that burned clean or the one with a bit more duff left behind.

picture.php

I didn’t get pictures outside of this since my phone is a little sketchy on battery life down at the farm… I don’t have the justification to buy farm equipment and with trouble lining up with the renters schedule, I had to make do with what I have and that is an ATV and a homemade spike drag. I threw this together after having some treated 2x6s, carriage bolts, a chain and some railroad spikes I picked up over a 10 min walk down the tracks. It weighs somewhere between 150-200# but could be heavier. It scratches the soil lightly but should work…wish I would have gotten some pictures of the worked ground. I dragged this redneck device around a couple times, spread seed and then dragged one more time. I choice to drag after seeding since the ground was pretty dry and packing it I didn’t think would really do anything. This is my first brassica plot and ended up a little heavy on the seeding…about 25-30% more than suggested. Overall it was a blast and I’m pretty tickled how this all ended up especially being cheap and with rain in the forecast. I wouldn’t bet the farm that it looks like a magazine food plot but you gotta start somewhere. After a couple weeks, I’ll put down some rye, wheat, peas in the bare spots?

picture.php

picture.php

How Much is too much rain for young brassica plants? It looks like we got about 3", these were planted on 8/8. I am assuming they are toast but looking for input.

How Much is too much rain for young brassica plants? It looks like we got about 3", these were planted on 8/8. I am assuming they are toast but looking for input.

Most likely you are fine. These were planted at the end of July a few days before the 4-5" monsoon. You may have a few bare spots, but nothing I would worry about.

picture.php

Weeds in the Brassicas?

Is clethodim something that anyone can spray?

And can I spray it on well started brassicas without damaging them?

Last edited:
Top Bottom