Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

Crimson Clover

In the fall of 2010 a plot was sown to winter rye and crimson clover (an annual clover) and it was allowed to completely mature (both crimson and rye) in 2011 and then tilled under in mid summer. Half was planted to brassicas and half to the winter rye combination mix all of which endured a very serious drought. Much of the red clover sown at the time did not survive the drought but interestingly enough....the crimson clover seed from the plants from the 2010 planting, even though tilled in 6-8" deep....came up and...survived!

Crimson1.jpg

I'm not implying that seed 6" down came up but because a tiller was used a certain amount of deed ended up near the surface and was deep enough that the seedlings were able to get enough soil moisture to survive, while the planted clovers near the surface did not.

Crimson2.jpg

When dry weather is a concern, planting seed slightly deeper can be helpful and crimson, if allowed to go to seed and then tilled in...is likely to return.... ;)

Here are pics of my small south plots with the winter rye and volunteer pt turnips and gh rashes being disced up. I looking forward to see how this plot produces compared to the plowed plot.

P1060635.jpg

P1060640.jpg

P1060629.jpg

P1060640.jpg

Mike

Up here in central MN, what is the latest one would want to plant the oat/berseem mix and still see the sou building benefits if it would be plowed down is July for brassicas and the other half in late August for then rye mix.

Up here in central MN, what is the latest one would want to plant the oat/berseem mix and still see the sou building benefits if it would be plowed down is July for brassicas and the other half in late August for then rye mix.

As mentioned plant roughly 4-7 days ahead of your usual last frost date if possible or use crimson rather then berseem clover because it is a little more cold tolerant. Even 60 days growth will yield benefits so even if you plant in mid May you will reap rewards...

April 29th, 2012

The soil tilth and productivity of soils where the rye/brassica rotation has been used for at least several years is nothing short of amazing! The combination of winter rye and clovers, be it red, white or annuals ,like crimson quickly turns hard, poor, unproductive soils into beautiful productive soil!

Ryencrimson1.jpg

Winter rye feeds deer all fall , winter and early spring while at the same time growing amazing root systems that scavenge nutrients and thwart weeds...as of yet I have not found a more productive combination for both deer and soils!

Ryencrimson2.jpg

As the soils become more productive the rye grows amazingly fast and provides early spring cover as deer feed on the clover and all the while producing tremendous biomass to help build soils.

Ryegrowth.jpg

Winter rye broadcast into standing fall crops like soybeans and corn provided winter feed long after the grain was consumed insuring that deer did not leave for greener pastures and now is providing soil cover and scavenging nutrients that otherwise might be leached away

Ryeinsoybeans.jpg

After nearly 5 years of using this rotation on one farm the difference is nothing short of amazing! We started with hard, poor clay subsoil that had been in pasture for decades with no fertilizer ever added and turned it into soil that anyone could envy!

Tilth1.jpg

Now high in organic matter, it held moisture during last summers drought and produced huge turnips

Tilth2.jpg

Once hardpan clay, the rotation of winter rye and brassicas that include Groundhog forage radish has loosened the hard soils

Tilth3.jpg

Tilth4.jpg

Some soils are so hard to start with that I can broadcast oats and clover and cultipack once to cover but this soil is so loose and fluffy I need to pack it after the oats before sowing clovers for fear of burying them several inches deep

Tilth5.jpg

Some of course can not see the reason for improving soils and set there sights only on a fall food source and that is folly that will eventually come back to haunt them. They can not provide year around food sources which causes deer to leave and adapts them to leaving and poor abused soils will not drain during wet weather nor hold moisture during droughts which increases the odds of failure and the probability of deer being forced to go to the neighbors to feed.

Don't make that mistake and don't be misled by expensive ads nor swayed by the doomsayers who know little about managing whitetails nor their land...

Tilth6.jpg

The landowners who hire me, trust me to turn tired old sod

Sod1.jpg

that is nutrient starved and severely compacted

Sod2.jpg

and abused pastures

Sod3.jpg

that have not been tilled, fertilized or limed....ever

Sod4.jpg

Into whitetail feeding meccas with outstanding soils that can grow crops reliably regardless of what nature throws at us...and you can do the same !

Strip2-2.jpg

If you wish to be consistently successful, you must improve all facets of you habitat program by creating outstanding cover and natural browse and by providing year around food sources that feed both your deer and your soils....the choice is yours but the following mix is a rotation that will help you meet those goals...

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 80-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Austrian Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre
Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

Cereal Grains

Paul,
I must first admit that I am guilty of not soil testing yet. My cereal grains came in marginally last fall with the lack of rain we had. I have virtually no clover growing in my cereal grain plots. I suspect I still have a Ph problem. How often are you mowing your oats during the early spring/summer, prior to implementing the 40% brassicas in July followed by 40 % cereal grains again in Sept. My plots are all in the cereal grain mix (almost entirely oats) as I just started this plan last fall.

Thanks

You have options....you can mow anytime now or allow the rye to mature and then shred it. The only reason to mow it early is if you have very small equipment (such a as Swisher type mower) that can't handle the 5' high rye.

Couple questions with your rye/brassica strip rotation. Radish is a brassica? and if we plant it with the rye are we not planting brassica after brassica on the same strip?

And we know from experience it's easy to over plant turnips in particular and so we question the added 5# of radish along w/ the 2# of rape. The radish doesn't overly compete w/ the turnips and rape?

Aploligize if you've already answered these questions earlier, I've just jumped in.

Couple questions with your rye/brassica strip rotation. Radish is a brassica? and if we plant it with the rye are we not planting brassica after brassica on the same strip?

And we know from experience it's easy to over plant turnips in particular and so we question the added 5# of radish along w/ the 2# of rape. The radish doesn't overly compete w/ the turnips and rape?

Aploligize if you've already answered these questions earlier, I've just jumped in.

Good questions that are often asked but always good to go over again.

Radish is a brassica that is true but planted in the fall with rye deer usually wipe it out while it is immature so it does not develop as it does when planted in the summer. Then...there is a significant time period before the field is re-panted to the brassica mix in July which breaks the disease/pest cycle.

The reason I am able to add an additional 5#'s of radish seed to the brassica mix is because again, deer tend to wipe it out . They self "thin" the forage radish by focusing almost entirely on the radish plants (while leaving the rape and turnips alone) until they are gone.

If one has very few deer you might back the planting rates down and experiment a little but note that I fertilize heavily to feed the brassica plants and in turn have heavy grazing that necessitates the addition of more seed.

There is no "one size fit's all" so the planting rates given in my threads are based on my experience on dozens of farms across SE Iowa. In all cases the brassicas grew well, were heavily grazed and all worked perfectly, however in an area with very few deer the landowner may experience something slightly different....;)

So I have a left over bag of Oats, what should I do with it. I know it is kind of late in the game to plant it for the spring. Should I keep it and wait for August and plant it, which won't last long once temps start to get cool in Oct-Nov.

OR

Plant now and just accept that it obviously won't yield very much compared to earlier planted oats.

So I have a left over bag of Oats, what should I do with it. I know it is kind of late in the game to plant it for the spring. Should I keep it and wait for August and plant it, which won't last long once temps start to get cool in Oct-Nov.

OR

Plant now and just accept that it obviously won't yield very much compared to earlier planted oats.

Either way is fine....I always use oats with my fall mix and they will last well into December...;)

Paul - I have a question related to rye...I planted a spot last summer where I overseeded rye in what was then a sparsely populated, due to drought conditions, bean field. The rye grew a little last fall, also due to lack of rain, but then it went flat crazy this spring. Looking at the field last weekend I saw that most of it is waist high or better! So far I have left most of it standing and I intend to plant brassicas there later this summer.

Strictly from a soil building point of view, am I better off to till it in sometime in the next month while it is still green and growing OR just let it mature and die and then till it in shortly before planting it to brassicas?

I was just going to let it ride and deal with it later this summer, but after seeing how much "greenage":grin: I have out there now AND imagining the root system that is present underground I began to think...

With my fairly heavy clay based soils would I be better off tilling it in now, while still green, to get the maximum soil building green tonnage OR waiting?

I have also thought that with the thick stand of rye that I may leave it out there for nesting/fawning cover, as it is quite thick and my sense is that it would get used for that too.

Any advice?? :D Thanks in advance!

Both are great options Dave, I usually prefer to disc it in while green but the root systems will be there regardless of which you chose so totally up to you.

It's often easier to disc in when it has matured and is in the form of "straw" but you gain a little more organic matter when it's green...probably not significant difference either way.

I just sprayed some of mine and no-tilled oats and clovers into it so I have some legumes growing before brassicas..:way:

5-11-2012No-tillintorye.jpg

Feed Oats

Pardon my ignorance, but could one use feed oats as a cheap source for a cover crop? A gentleman at my local coop said that would be an excellent choice for a cheap green manure/cover crop

Paul - I'm planting your 'Cereal Grain Combo' this fall and was wondering about what variety of oats you prefer in that mix. You state using spring oats but I didn't see that in the Welter catalog. Thanks in advance!

Paul - I'm planting your 'Cereal Grain Combo' this fall and was wondering about what variety of oats you prefer in that mix. You state using spring oats but I didn't see that in the Welter catalog. Thanks in advance!

"Spring oats" is not a variety but just a term for common oats planted in spring for August harvest. I prefer Jerry oats...commonly available and deer love them! :way:

Top Bottom