Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Re: Clover - mowing

My plans of haying my clover and alfalfa plots were scuttled by a Judge in Seattle sometime back (dang yuppies anyhow... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )

So I had to go ahead and mow including some I hadn't sprayed with Select that had foxtail 3 feet high... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Got out the big guns...

Brushcutter.jpg

and clipped it perhaps 8-10" or so...

ClippedClover-3.jpg

The Alice clover spring planting was thick and lush but starting to flower...

8-26Clover.jpg

Do you know that clover no longer fixes nitrogen once it flowers? Just another reason to clip it every so often, especially if it's Berseem plowdown clover...

My Berseem has been outstanding!

8-26Berseem.jpg

Had I known I would not be able to mow and bale this I would have sprayed it all and clipped earlier because this is what happens...

Mowings.jpg

Always a chance of some smothering if you let it get to tall before mowing.

On another note...

Reading back thru this thread you can see that I planted test plantings of Alice, Durana, KopuII,Jumbo Ladino, Imperial Clover Mix, and clover mixes by Biologic and Tecomate.

All of the name brand clovers failed with the exception of a couple very small spots where they had more moisture.

The Durana and Alice and other Welter varieties were unphazed and performed admirably!

You can take what you will from that "test"...but it didn't allow me to compare growing stands, deer usage etc. so I'm going to try some new plots always using Alice as the standard.

As always I want to stress that most seeds you purchase are fine quality seeds that will all produce well...it's the price that differs widely.

I planted side by side plots of Alice, WI Imperial clover, IC with chicory, IC with brassicas and Alfarack...all of this sandwiched between a stand of alfalfa and a plot of mature Alice clover.

I fertilized these plots heavily and I can moniter them with trail cams.

Perhaps in the spring I'll try some of the other brands again as well. So far Alice white clover and Durana white clover have out performed all others and have worked well for plenty of other food plotters.

Both of these clovers were developed by agronimists searching for clovers that could withstand drought and heavy grazing by cattle. There are always some who insist that "brand" companies have developed clover specifically for deer...which means what????

White clover is a high protein legume that has high TDN and CP no matter if a deer eats it or a cow. Believe what you will but NO ONE has any proof that ANY clover is better then Alice (for example) Do they think that a certain clover will grow bigger bucks, attract more deer, insure them a trophy compared to Alice, Durana, Patriot and others?????

Many companies compare there own white clover to other types of clovers (such as red clover) and not apples to apples.

Planting any one variety of clover (or any other seed) proves only that deer either like it or they don't...not that one is better then another.

So far I have found no difference in usage by deer regardless of which variety I planted. The only difference is in my costs of plantings. Remember when you buy a pure clover seed...you pay for pure clover seed!

Alice is roughly $4.50, Durana varies but some have found it as low as $3.50 a pound. Imperial Whitetail clover contains a very high percentage of berseem clover which is dirt cheap, you can't frost seed it and it lasts only one year. I love berseem clover but not at exorbitant prices!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

If I want berseem in my mix I can buy it for $1.65 a pound bringing my costs per acre to roughly $20 versus $75 plus shipping for Imperial clover from WI.

We just had some good rains on these newly planted plots so I'll keep you updated as to how they do and usage by deer. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Here is my clover and chicory from this past weekend in one of my two plots.

DSC05895.jpg

DSC05896.jpg

I could not cut it all summer due to it being in my buddy's CRP.
I sprayed it with some Select from Nanny in the middle of July.
I then cut it two weeks ago.
I notice it is heading out should I cut it again or will it be okay for this fall?

I think the whites are OK to leave alone at this point and with the cooler weather I wouldn't cut this far into September. Just my thoughts but see what DT or Ghost has to to say. Look great by the way!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I notice it is heading out should I cut it again or will it be okay for this fall? </div></div>

It should be fine but I'm going to clip the tops off of one clover plot and compare it to one cut earlier.

Will it affect usage or the plants themselves?

I'll let you know.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I like to let it go after about the 3rd week of August. Growth really slows down with the cooler weather and I want it as thick as it can be going into Winter.

Here is some HS premium clover blend I put in spring 07. I was wanting to get it started but now I fully understand the reason for planting in the fall. This doesn't look bad but I have worked it pretty hard to get it to look decent. I still need to take some select to it but overall I am ok with it. Picture was take last weekend. This is half of a 5 acre plot. The other 2.5 to 3 looks similar but has some grass as well.

cloverspring07.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I like to let it go after about the 3rd week of August. Growth really slows down with the cooler weather and I want it as thick as it can be going into Winter.

</div></div>

Perfect.
I was reading your mind Ghostie. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I did not know if it would get rank or not. I wanted it as palatable as possible.

Thanks for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I notice it is heading out should I cut it again or will it be okay for this fall? </div></div>

It should be fine but I'm going to clip the tops off of one clover plot and compare it to one cut earlier.

Will it affect usage or the plants themselves?

I'll let you know.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is some HS premium clover blend I put in spring 07. I was wanting to get it started but now I fully understand the reason for planting in the fall. This doesn't look bad but I have worked it pretty hard to get it to look decent. I still need to take some select to it but overall I am ok with it. Picture was take last weekend. This is half of a 5 acre plot. The other 2.5 to 3 looks similar but has some grass as well.

cloverspring07.jpg
</div></div>

Limb,
I used to plant all the time in the spring until Dbl. showed me the light. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I hated fighting all the weeds until I started doing it all mostly in the fall.

Nice looking plot you have there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to plant all the time in the spring until Dbl. showed me the light. </div></div>

Yep, I don't care what they say about him downtown, he's alright! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

What time of year do feel the clover is still solidly pulling deer into it?

One year I had a field full of Alice, Ladino, Berseem, Red and a bit of Alf-alfa right next to 10 acres of STANDING CORN. When I hunted it in late December, there were by far more deer in the clover, it was surprising. Wondering your perspectives on average effective dates though?

I had deer in my 1/2 acre plot on Januray 9th last year when it was sub zero. I know many say they quit using it at extreme cold but my deer must like it frosted /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I too had standing corn that I leave every fall right next to it.

Late muzzy we had the same thing. Deer were digging through the snow to get to it. Bedding in it ect... I was very surprised however it is planted in a natural wind break as well.

Last year I watched them paw thru the snow and ice to get to the clover.
The turnips were right next to it and they walked right on by.

Re: Clover - seedling I.D.

huntyak like many others wondered what "baby" clover looked like...how do we know if we have clover or weeds??

Now that he knows what to look for he wanted to share some pics of clover and rye planted August 24th.

Starts out looking like this

CloverSeedling.jpg

but then opens in to three leaves /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Cloverseedlingtrifoliate.jpg

Pretty soon they are poppin up everywhere!

Clover1-1.jpg

Alice white clover and rye in a semi-shaded area....looking good so far!

Aliceinshade.jpg

Thanks for sharing and helping to answer future questions as a new "plotter" anxiously awaits his "babies" to appear... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Re: Clover - seedling I.D.

Geez Paul, I thought you said your soil was poor. Looks like you droped a couple of nickles and it grew quarters. I'm guessin if you dropped a nail it would grow into a crow bar.

The 'Bonker

Do you know that clover no longer fixes nitrogen once it flowers? Just another reason to clip it every so often, especially if it's Berseem plowdown clover...

dbltree,
Does clover start to fix nitrogen again once mowed/clipped or does it quit for good?

Re: Clover - Setember

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does clover start to fix nitrogen again once mowed/clipped or does it quit for good? </div></div>

Yes...it will continue to fix nitrogen once it's clipped. It will regrow and attempt to flower again. It's an ongoing process...

Here's some clover seedlings at 2 weeks planted the first of September.

This is Imperial Whitetail Clover

IWCSeedlings.jpg

Planted side by side next to Alice White Clover for a test comparison.

AliceCloverseedlings.jpg

These clover plots are planted later then I prefer but white clover is better adapted to later planting then is red clover or alfalfa.

We'll keep an eye on these two plots with cams and see how they fare. Deer already love my mature Alice clover...will they love IWC more?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I spread fertilizer on half of a plot of Alice White Clover a few weeks back just to see if it would make any difference. I spread triple 13 and then some high nitrogen...

Would it make it greener, lusher, tastier???

I can't see a lick a difference so far.......I fertilized the right half and the left half has never had fertilizer or lime.

Alicetest.jpg

They say a fall application of nitrogen will make it...make it what? I guess taste better and be more attractive to deer but so far I can't visually see a difference and they have grazed it all evenly.

I did clip this plot the end of August and it looks fine with only a few stray flowers....

Some Alice seedlings 3 weeks old...

Aliceseedlings9-21.jpg

Spring planted Alice...

AliceWhiteClover9-21.jpg

Spring planted Berseem still going gangbusters!

Berseem9-21.jpg

A shot of some spring planted white clover sprayed with Select on the the right and unsprayed on the left...

Cloversprayedonright.jpg

With all the rain we have had and cooler temps the clover is really lush......

Lushclover.jpg

They have so much to eat right now that they are only nipping the tops on the clover. 4th cutting alfalfa and fall oats seem to be getting all the attention right now but every scenario is different. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Might be the camera OR probably my imagination BUT looks like the right side is slightly more "Lime Green" in color.

Now, when you spread fertilizer, does it take many weeks or possibly a month or more for it to really sink in and start getting absorbed?

Whether you can see it or not, I wonder if you did a statistical study- could you show a difference on what deer feed on between left and right side. Keep posted on whether you happen to notice a difference- some claim the "deer can tell" but I am just not sure of course. Great post!

Top Bottom