Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
How did you work the ground before you seeded? Did you lightly disc it?

If you have pretty bare ground showing, and a spent rye field from last fall would fit that bill, you do not need to work the ground. Just spread your clover seed over the bare, or mostly bare, ground right now.

The daytime thaw and the nighttime freeze cycle going on right now is PERFECT for seeding clover in particular. As long as your seed is making contact with the soil, no need to work the ground now.

Sky
Where did you get the ladino and do they have it in stock?

Just check with your local feed and seed store or try Welter seed online. I will say this, prices are substantially higher this year for white clovers. I purchased my white clover locally here in town.

For you guys that are frost seeding into existing clover plots.... How much 0-0-60 potash do you add and how often? I'm trying to extend my 4 year white clover plot by adding some red for this next season. Unless of course the white does well this year! Do you apply an annual amount of potash? I've read 400 lbs but that seems excessive?

I live 30 miles from Bedford. Just wanted to come pick some up.

Are you more west or east? If closer to Clarinda, I would buy from their local feed place. That co-op owns the one in Bedford, so everything comes from Clarinda. I can give you Kenny Graham's number. A 50lb bag of ladino comes in at $163 with tax.

Feel free to call or text me my number is: 712-899-1435.-Skyler

That will look good! We had ladino in one field this year, and it had deer in it pretty much all season long! Even late season! With exception of shotgun, when they were pretty spooky.
My other full time clover plot I put in last spring that wasn't frost seeded was AMAZING. I want to get 3 full time clover plots established and work on another 2-3 plots that I rotate each year. This deer farming stuff is pretty fun once you get started!

Shoutout to Paul for everything he did, he would be proud!

My other full time clover plot I put in last spring that wasn't frost seeded was AMAZING. I want to get 3 full time clover plots established and work on another 2-3 plots that I rotate each year. This deer farming stuff is pretty fun once you get started!

Shoutout to Paul for everything he did, he would be proud!

Foodplots and habitat work has became the same for me, thanks to all the info from Paul and Jesse. Ive came to enjoy establishing, maintaining, and watching the deer using my plots, trails, mineral licks, etc just as much as hunting itself !

Foodplots and habitat work has became the same for me, thanks to all the info from Paul and Jesse. Ive came to enjoy establishing, maintaining, and watching the deer using my plots, trails, mineral licks, etc just as much as hunting itself !

I could have written the same thing. ^^ :D

Just an FYI "commercial" for Jesse. Unless there has been a late breaking change that I am not aware of...Jesse will be one of the speakers at a Sportsmen Dinner this coming Saturday. (I would be going to it myself if I wasn't going to be out of town.)

I am pretty sure it is at church in Eldon, IA, but I can't remember right now which one. I know there is a flyer posted on the bulletin board of Whitetail Archery in Agency though. So if you really want to go, give Whitetail Archery a call to get the scoop. :D

I could have written the same thing. ^^ :D

Just an FYI "commercial" for Jesse. Unless there has been a late breaking change that I am not aware of...Jesse will be one of the speakers at a Sportsmen Dinner this coming Saturday. (I would be going to it myself if I wasn't going to be out of town.)

I am pretty sure it is at church in Eldon, IA, but I can't remember right now which one. I know there is a flyer posted on the bulletin board of Whitetail Archery in Agency though. So if you really want to go, give Whitetail Archery a call to get the scoop. :D

Do you have a phone number or any additional information?

Do you have a phone number or any additional information?

OK, I called someone else I know that will be there. (The guy that originally invited me to go.) The event is held at the Living Hope Bible Church in Eldon, IA. The address is: 201 W. Walnut. 641-652-3481.

There are several speakers lined up and it sounds like it begins as early as 4:00P. But if you were serious about going, I would call the church to get the details. Wild guess here, but IW's own Loneranger may be there too. His land is nearby and I suspect he may be planning on going too.

More commonly, I'll spray a mix of clethodim & crop oil (12-18 oz of clethodim per acre) for grasses. Butyrac (2,4D-B) for broadleaves (don't mix with clethodim, do seperate). You can go with lower doses of round-up as well.
Hey Skip, how much Potash do you add annually? You mentioned previously adding it in the fall so it can break down. I found Paul mentioned 200 lbs of 6-24-24 for maintenance, so should I add 40 lbs of 0-0-60 to a 1/2 acre to get the same amount of K?

Hey Skip, how much Potash do you add annually? You mentioned previously adding it in the fall so it can break down. I found Paul mentioned 200 lbs of 6-24-24 for maintenance, so should I add 40 lbs of 0-0-60 to a 1/2 acre to get the same amount of K?

Depends on your soil really. You likely don't need a heavy annual application if you've been doing it in the past. If you've baled the clover, sure, otherwise, it won't take as much. So, the real answer - depends on soil test. Reality- whatever you're willing to put down won't hurt. I'd do it now though, yes.

I haven't done much in the past 4 years besides mowing, so I figured I could build it up for a changeover this fall unless the whites are still looking really good, then I might see if I can get another good year. Thanks for the reply!

If you're "winging it", go to anywhere like menards and throw down 100-200 lbs of pelletized lime per acre while you're at it. cheap/easy.

This warm weather has things greening up really fast. Checked some white and red clover plots this weekend and they're both coming back to life. Filled with deer tracks and droppings
10384921_10100997586665503_259074646015911515_n.jpg

10421318_10100997586740353_2877557697902711022_n.jpg

Every year we find at least 1 shed in this white clover plot. Deer love this stuff
10995789_10100997817418073_1004230942794081861_n.jpg

Top Bottom