Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking about frost seeding some WI clover over this patch. The deer are rooting it up like hogs for the purple tops.

TimberspiritBrassicapic.jpg

</div></div>

You could easily frost seed clover on to that soil surface however you will be sorry when you need to mow and/or spray it!

It will be rougher then a cobb...otherwise it will work great

It's a good example of why I suggest tilling a brassica patch up before planting clover. They sure do make a mess digging those turnips up!

I'd also like to mention once again that WI clover may contain as much as 30% Berseem Clover which is an annual clover (it's not going to live year to year) and you can NOT frost seed it.

The white clovers in the WI mix will grow via frost seeding however your just throwing 30% of the seed/cost away

Have you ever tried Kura clover? The Ed Spin book from QDMA raves about it.

If it would quit raining I could get some more lime on!

Have you ever tried Kura clover? The Ed Spin book from QDMA raves about it.

I have not tried Kura clover yet but I have been intrigued by it for some time

The advantage to Kura is that once established it can virtually last forever since it spreads by rhizomes.

The disadvantage is that it is very slow and somewhat difficult to get established.

Deer hunters... like farmers just don't want to wait that long...we want clover and we want it now!

I think if one has a plot that is in a difficult place and you wanted to keep it in clover...forever, it might be worth trying.

I expect one would need to use herbicides because it cannot stand much competition. I would also plan on conventional tillage as shown earlier in this thread.

Note: "The seed must be inoculated with rhizobia specifically for kura clover before planting,"

Kura Clover

Kura in Iowa

Kura Clover in WI

Kura Clover in Kentucky

Don't frost seed

ISUE Kura Clover Info

Kura Clover Seed Source

Last edited:
My clover fields look they have been roto-tilled. The deer appear to have been scraping the ground with their hooves to expose even a 1/4" more stem for them then to snip off. My son, who remembers mowing that field this Summer when the weeds were pretty thick, could not believe it was the same place now.

In fact, the clover has been so closely cropped that I wonder if it would be wise to overseed during the late winter. How much abuse can the clover take and still come back?

I moved this ? over to the clover thread Dave...

I assume this is a new first year seeding...in which case they may quite possibly have done some damage.

A friend seeded alfalfa and oats for a neighbor (foodplot)in mid summer. He said the other day that the deer had literally pulled the alfalfa seedlings out by the roots!

Good grief...I thought I had it bad

In your case Dave it wouldn't hurt to frost seed some clover back over those areas...the seed won't cost that much versus being dissapointed if nothing survives the "onslought"

Otherwise you would have to re-till and start over if you find they "killed it".

I suspect the open mild winter has made it to easy for them where some snow cover/frozen ground might have protected it.

Last edited:
I think I will play it safe and overseed it.

Here's an idea... would it make any sense to mix a little alfalfa in with the clover? Say like 10%-20% alfalfa with 80% clover.

Thanks for the advice dtree. Maybe I will just head to SS and pick up some Ladino and wait till snow is in the forcast.

I think I will play it safe and overseed it.

Here's an idea... would it make any sense to mix a little alfalfa in with the clover? Say like 10%-20% alfalfa with 80% clover.

Mixing it would be ok normally but alfalfa doesn't frost seed very well. It needs much warmer temps to germinate and it's kinda pricey to waste it.

On the other hand if you wanted to try 5-10#'s it's gonna cost you something under 50 bucks and you might end up with some alfalfa in the mix.

Welters will usually sell it by the pound if you give them a call.

I'll cover it more in th alfalfa thread but it's more common to frost seed clover into a thinning alfalfa stand then vice versa.

If you try it...I offer "free inspection" the month of November...

Frost seed info

Last edited:
Checked with local feed store and he has alsike, ladino, and medium red clover seed on hand. Others can be ordered including white dutch. Any experience or thoughts on frost-seeding these? Guessing the medium red is just another red which isn't great.

Checked with local feed store and he has alsike, ladino, and medium red clover seed on hand. Others can be ordered including white dutch. Any experience or thoughts on frost-seeding these? Guessing the medium red is just another red which isn't great.

Yep...it's just a red clover, it's easy to frost seed but you'll have to mow it a lot more and it get's rank later on.

White and ladino clover is much shorter and easier to maintain not to mention "tastier" to deer

If I had to pick one clover it would be ladino which is a white clover developed for grazing.

Alsike won't hurt to mix with the white clovers.

If your buying it from a local co-op or feed store you'll want to buy some inoculant (it's "dirt" cheap )

Check the Welters link in this thread if they don't have it where you buy your seed.

Last edited:
I have a small area that my dad did some dozing along some fence lines this fall and I'm planning on planting it into clover. I usualy plant lidino and chicory mix. This area is all fenced and surrounded by timber so there is no way of mowing it after I frost seed it this winter. I'm going to plant apple and pear trees in there and fill in with clover. Any type that would be ok not mowed?

bottom line, if i asked you to pick one all around clover what would it be? Is their a specific mix you like? also, am i safe frost seeding around the first weekend in march? thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bottom line, if i asked you to pick one all around clover what would it be? Is their a specific mix you like? also, am i safe frost seeding around the first weekend in march? thanks </div></div>

If I only had one choice I would go with Alice White Clover

but since I do have other choices I would mix Kopu II White Clover 1/3, 1/3 Alice and 1/3 Jumbo Ladino White Clover .

That's the nice thing...we all have so many choices!

Lot's of good commercial mixes that will do great...just awful expensive IMO.

First of March should be perfect for frost seeding!

Frost Seeding Legumes

Frost Seeding pros n cons Frost Seeding

Late Winter Frost Seeding

Paul,
Good morning!!
Couple of questions for you.

We had a pond dug last fall. Pasture mix was put down after it was done. There was some but limited growth.

I was planning on frost seeding some clover like you suggested with Chicory.
I have not checked the PH yet.
Will the clover and Chicory work with the pasture mix. Also should I wait until I check the PH first.
Thanks for your help.

Will the clover and Chicory work with the pasture mix. Also should I wait until I check the PH first.

Clover is very easily frost seeded into pasture especially when it has been grazed close to the ground.

In your case I suspect the ground is already somewhat bare so both clover and chicory should frost seed well.

It would have been better to check and correct the PH because it takes lime so long to work but you can do it after the fact.

I have yet to have clover simply fail because of low PH it just doesn't thrive.

The forecast looks like warm days and cold nights...perfect for frost seeding. Just take a soil sample while your out there and get some lime or pelleted lime (if it's a small area) applied, if the test shows you need it.

Alice White Clover is pretty easy to frost seed and Alsike Clover is one that can stand a little more acid soil.

I don't care much for Red Clover for deer but it's also very easy to frost seed and works well where the soil has been disturbed as in the case of a pond or ditching.

Last edited:
Thanks Dbl.
I know I should of took the soil sample last fall. I walked around it a hundred times. I really did not even think about it.

I might have to do it after I frost seed it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alice White Clover is pretty easy to frost seed and Alsike Clover is one that can stand a little more acid soil. </div></div>

I was going to use the Jumbo Ladino and the Kopu II 1/2 and 1/2 with some chicory. Do you like the two you quoted here better?
Thanks for the info.

Risto...I had real good luck with the Alice White.

It was recommended to me because it can withstand heavy grazing pressure.

I plan to seed this week with some Jumbo Ladino and chicory. The weather this week looks perfect for frost seeding.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to use the Jumbo Ladino and the Kopu II 1/2 and 1/2 with some chicory

Those two are excellent as well and what I would use normally, the first two might just work a little better at low PH's...but the two you picked would be preferred deer forage IMO (for what that's worth)

Last edited:
It took me a bit to find it...but here's a pic I took last summer of a farmer friends pasture.

He frost seeds clover by mixing clover seed in with the fertilizer and spreading the mix on his cattle pasture in March.

You can see how well it came up even with all the competion from the grass

Frostseededcloverinpasture.jpg

OK Paul time for another one of my dumb questions.
Is the inoculant the same as fertilizer? If not what type of fertilizer should I mix with it before I frost seed it?

Top Bottom