Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
DBLTREE...CAN ONE FROST SEED SUCCESSFULLY OVER SAY A PLOT THAT HAS ALOT OF LEAVES OVER IT, SAY IN A HIDDEN TMBER PLOT? IT IS ONE THAT IS ALREADY ESTABLISHED. THANKS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntyak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DBLTREE...CAN ONE FROST SEED SUCCESSFULLY OVER SAY A PLOT THAT HAS ALOT OF LEAVES OVER IT, SAY IN A HIDDEN TMBER PLOT? IT IS ONE THAT IS ALREADY ESTABLISHED. THANKS. </div></div>
I know I am not a resident expert, but you need to have the clover seed get in contact with the soil. Once in contact with the soil, it needs sunlight. How can either of those take place if the ground is covered with leaf litter?

Answer is that it can't. Hence in the one of the above posts someone showed in some photos that they went through the effort of clearing trash on the soil surface (uneaten brasicas).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you need to have the clover seed get in contact with the soil. </div></div>

That' pretty much it in a nutshell...

I just encountered the same problem in a brassica plot that had not been eaten...it's covered with brassica leaves and no way is that seed going to make soil contact.

I scattering of leaves is one thing but if it's covered and matted down I would do as risto did and get it raked off or use a power leaf blower.

Power leaf Blowers aren't that expensive and it beats raking... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Otherwise your going to end up with very uneven germination.

I agree but I had an established plot I planted in the fall with just the beginnings of clover and good rye. I didn't want to tear up the soil with a rake. Just tryin to thicken it up and figured the baby seeds in time would "slip" down in between and stratify with freeze/thaw. Just a thought but maybe it was a waste. Time will tell as there is already clover there and guess I may never know if it worked as if it grows this spring it could just be a good 'second' year stand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I scattering of leaves is one thing but if it's covered and matted down I would do as risto did and get it raked off or use a power leaf blower.
</div></div>

FWIW, I did the leaf blower routine once on a small, leafy, inside the woods plot and feel as though it worked out well. I ran the leaf blower and also mowed a bit to mulch things up a bit and then frost seeded. The plot came up nice.

I have a small wooded plot with leaf cover issue and I have had some success with frost seeding there. Compensated with seeding extra heavy. Seemed to work pretty well.

Just got back from frost seeding about an acre of land. This is my first food plot, the acre had beans on it last year and the owner of the land did not harvest the beans just let the deer eat them. I did not rake or anything, I think that the seed will make good contact with soil, or should I be worried? I also did not get a chance to put down any fert must that be put down at the time of planting or can I come back later to put some down?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> think that the seed will make good contact with soil, or should I be worried? I also did not get a chance to put down any fert must that be put down at the time of planting or can I come back later to put some down? </div></div>

A soybean plot is perfect to frost seed into so no worries!

You can add fertilizer later in the spring, just be cautious not to run over it when it's wet, so you may need to wait til early summer even.

Heavy rain this time of year, after frost seeding, should be no worries. Rain should get the small seeds right down onto/into the soil. Won't be long until a few days of sub-freezing temps happen, and seeds will get worked into good position...

I have read on hear that clover needs to be cut down, at what height do you cut it to? 8" high, 10" high, or more like really long grass? could I use a push lawn mower at highest setting? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ayr_aca_cs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read on hear that clover needs to be cut down, at what height do you cut it to? 8" high, 10" high, or more like really long grass? could I use a push lawn mower at highest setting? Thanks </div></div>

I try to cut clover whenever it flowers but I clip it high rather then "mow" it like grass.

6-8" high is roughly just fine to keep clover fixing nitrogen and keep it from going to seed.

White clover isn't so critical but red clover gets real tall and rank if not kept clipped.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I seeded my clover last week, I was wondering when I should go back to check on the progress? How many weeks does it take to germinate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many weeks does it take to germinate? </div></div>
If we hang onto some warm weather to get the soil warmed up, it won't be long!

Usually by mid April my frost seeded clover is coming up... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

How many weeks does it take to germinate?

If we hang onto some warm weather to get the soil warmed up, it won't be long!

Usually by mid April my frost seeded clover is coming up...

It's April 1st and the red clover I frost seeded in early March is popping already!

S5002106.jpg

Even in the heavy dead brassica leaf cover it seems to be germinating

S5002106.jpg

Notice the tiny RC seedling coming up thru the leaf laying in the lower portion of this pic which is red clover seeded in an alfalfa field.

S5002108.jpg

This is clover I seeded last September also on April 1st and greening up!

S5002109.jpg

Looks good dbltree! I got word the other day that the frost seeded red clover is up on our place as well.

Sorry about the fuzzy pic but the hidden rye/clover plot is coming quite nicely. Can you tell I went a little overboard in seeding rate? :D

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I got started with spring planting last week with an early planting of oats, berseem clover and clover mix from AWH but got rained out before finishing.

I'm planting oats at 100-120#'s per acre, berseem at 12#'s and 6-8#'s of white and red clover consisting of the following:

Buck Brand Ladino Clover, DC990 Brand Red Clover, Haifa White Clover, White Dutch Clover, Puna Chicory, Small Burnett

Looks like a good mix but a little pricier then Alice so we'll see how it does.

I'm also going to be testing several barnd new clovers that at this point only have "code names" for Grassland Oregon and their High Sugar ryegrass.

I have never been a fan of ryegrass (not to be confused with field rye...rye is a cereal grain like wheat while ryegrass could be found growing in your lawn...;)) but I'm told deer and cattle really are attracted to the high sugar content so I need to find out for myself.

The HS ryegrass comes as a mix with several clovers and could possibly work well for small hard to get at spots (among others) so we'll see how this stacks up to other "plot crops" this year.

Grassland Oregon SucraSEED

Sweet Spot Seed Source

Looking to plant some white clover around my pond.

I have some Alice left over and will put that on but was wondering
what is recommended in case it rises much and gets wet for a little while.
I thought I read somewhere that Alsike likes wet feet and would work?
Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

Looking to plant some white clover around my pond.

I have some Alice left over and will put that on but was wondering
what is recommended in case it rises much and gets wet for a little while.
I thought I read somewhere that Alsike likes wet feet and would work?
Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure that it "likes" it but "tolerates" it....

Alsike Clover is a short-lived perennial that does well on low, poorly drained acid soil.

Alsike Clover seed

Top Bottom