Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coronavirus/Stock Market

Status
  • Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: Politics
@sep0667 unfortunately, most folks were already invested and road this inflation / recession train down, so their investments are worth roughly 70% what they were 10 months ago. Everything has gone down, so may as well stay in the investments they're in and slowly ride it back up. Pretty much a repeat of 2008.
exactly, everyone is down. You only take a loss if you sell when its down. Ride it out and you will be better than ever. Im saying right now is the best time to invest more or even increase your contribution amount. Everything is on a major sale right now.

Good companies make a difference. I have stock in General Mills, Valero Energy, Apple, UAN Fertilizer, Altria. For the most part I’m not down that much overall . Dividends have helped …

Many stocks have been crushed under Biden !

Last edited:
We are just buying it ata fire sale right now. I’m good as I don’t plan on retiring for another 8 years but I feel for the people who retired under Trump and now have to survive under this administration.

Guys, the stock market has definitely been a wild ride lately, especially with all the uncertainty around the coronavirus. It can be tempting to dump more money in when stocks are getting hammered, but it's important to do your research and make informed decisions.

The stock market can be a rollercoaster, especially since the uncertain times like the coronavirus outbreak. It's natural to consider investing more when stocks are taking a hit. However, it's important to do your research and consider the long-term implications. If you're looking for a trading platform, check out meta trading 4. It's a popular choice among traders and offers a range of features. Remember, investing involves risks, and it's essential to weigh the pros and cons before making any decisions. Stay informed, stay updated, and trust your instincts. Only invest what you can afford to lose.

Last edited:
In response to some of the references of the Biden administration being at fault for the stock market, that's not a directly correlated market indicator. It's more related to the Fed's movement to fight inflation which is in response in large part to COVID and supply chain issues. Biden's agenda did include a nearly $2T American Rescue Plan that many could argue contributed to the inflation woes, but annual inflation rates were already at their highest levels in a decade before Biden became President. Of course many factors play into this, but I wanted to provide some context (that many will choose to blatantly ignore I'm sure) to hopefully give reasoning to some that automatically take the route of making this topic a political one that aligns with their side of the isle.

Biden has been a complete disaster as a President and his stock market returns are below average .

Inflation was not high under Trump. Oil was much lower, because he pushed energy independence . Inflation across the board was low ... Just look at the charts.

The NASDAQ went up 8600 points under Trump (a record) . If you think that because of the FED, you are mistaken. Trump was the best business President in history (Reagan was probably a better overall President) but Trump was hands down #1!

The all time consumer confidence high and the small business confidence high were under Trump .

*note —he set the record despite having 6 months of businesses shut down during his 4 years as a President. Due to the China bioweapon!

The stock market was not a reflection of the Trump admin policies anymore than the more impressive job gains trend was a reflection of the Biden admin policies. It's predominately a factor of macro economic conditions brought on by other influences outside of any major admin policy.

Inflation is absolutely higher under Biden, no debating that, but again, macro economic conditions (i.e. Ukraine war) play a larger role than any single policy. Trump also made no major move that influenced our energy independence.

And Obama's stock market was better than Trump's. Was Obama a better businessman than Trump with that logic?

Most economists would agree a more accurate measure for economic performance is GDP. Guess which president had higher GDP growth?

I'm not trying to be pro-Biden here, I'm not his biggest fan; I'm just trying to say that before you break out any anti-(pick your president) rants as a reason for why your croutons are too salty or your wifi signal sucks....it's helpful to understand the full picture.

Obama had a better S&P 500 stock market return … by .2% in 8 years …

Trump smoked him on the NASDAQ (his average return is 24%)

The stock market started going up under Trump (you saw it) crazy good numbers . Without the Coronavirus he would have easily set the overall record .

Is the President the only factor, no .. but in the case with Trump (growth, lower taxes, 5 trade deals, low unemployment, lowest minority unemployment, corporate business confidence at all time highs—the booming NASDAQ (the push to invest in the USA—not China) It all led to the best economic metrics the US has had in 50 years (according to CNBC)!

Take a look at M2 (the measure of money supply) if you want to correlate cause and effect of stock market returns since 08. Massive amounts of money supply pumped into the financial system and artificially depressed interest rates helped expand inflate assets prices in all categories (paper assets, residential real estate, recreational land, farmland, etc). Public companies were borrowing cheap money to finance stock buybacks, effectively juicing their per share market value. When I was able to finance a non-income producing timber farm at a fixed rate of approx 3.5%, that made it clear to me that asset prices were going to get out of hand.

Inflation finally reared its head once clueless Joe tapped the breaks on energy production, the DC govt handed out 100s of billions to their citizens during covid (irregardless of whether their employment was impacted by shutdowns or not), factor in a war that impacted food supplies and now M2 is dropping like a rock.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Inflationary momentum started when Trump started cutting checks to households in response to COVID and cutting taxes for the wealthy. Biden continued putting money back in consumers pockets as well which didn't help (not saying these were the completely wrong moves because many Americans were in desperate times). Britain & Germany were and are also witnessing inflation movements so it's not relegated to single administrative policy.

By 'tapping the breaks on energy production' you mean shifting towards renewable energy, that was long overdue. Trying to standup a failing coal industry is bad for everyone in the long-term. I'd rather my great grandkids have a somewhat habitable environment for any short-term disruption that it may cause.

It's relational. If the attribution of our recent inflation is allocating $$ back to citizens for relief that started under Trump. Inflation % won't reflect that until a longer trailing period. As I mentioned earlier, Biden did similar actions which carried this forward. Also as mentioned earlier, GDP is a more accurate measurement of economic success for a number of reasons (not the least of which inflation is controlled by the independent Fed) in which Trump had the first GDP contraction since 2009. As I stated earlier, not necessarily a knock on his policies as COVID certainly had a huge factor in that.

@jgamet—-Nope, you are wrong. The oil shutdown caused the inflation. Higher gas, higher transportation costs, supply chain i issues. Food shot up after that .

Also I would like your opinion on who brought cocaine to the White House ?
Inflation was caused predominantly by the insane money printing blamed by covid. Far more a factor than fuel prices which also did have an affect.

I took nearly all my money out of the market and have it invested in CD's. I'll take the guarenteed 5.3% return and wait for a downturn (hoping).

Biden shut down the keystone pipeline and all pipeline work stopped. Oil industry stopped all investment because biden doesn't support it. US was energy independent under trump, now we're not and everyone paid the price at the pump and inflation.

Trump started the cash flow during covid, but that's when the economy was "shut down" and a lot of people weren't working. Biden kept pumping the money out years after most everyone was back to work.

The fed is supposed to be independent, but if you look at where they donate election money, it's to the democrats.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Inflation was caused predominantly by the insane money printing blamed by covid. Far more a factor than fuel prices which also did have an affect.

I took nearly all my money out of the market and have it invested in CD's. I'll take the guarenteed 5.3% return and wait for a downturn (hoping).
The fed has been printing money since 2008 with quantitative easing. The difference with covid is people continued to get paid without working, so no one wanted to work, which meant lack of workers, which meant lack of supply, which meant more demand.

The fed has been printing money since 2008 with quantitative easing. The difference with covid is people continued to get paid without working, so no one wanted to work, which meant lack of workers, which meant lack of supply, which meant more demand.

Tons of data to look at in regard to the spending uptick that started in 2020. It's gigantic. "Stimulus", PPP, etc

The Keystone pipeline was shut down for a number of reasons; I wouldn't say that impacted inflation. OPEC controls the price of oil more than any other entity but somehow Biden gets the larger blame for fluctuating global oil prices? We're also in a green transition that has to be done; I can understand some pull back in investment by O&G because of that.

The Keystone pipeline was shut down for a number of reasons; I wouldn't say that impacted inflation. OPEC controls the price of oil more than any other entity but somehow Biden gets the larger blame for fluctuating global oil prices? We're also in a green transition that has to be done; I can understand some pull back in investment by O&G because of that.
Biden had no impact :rolleyes:
Oil is going away then ? So my neighbor just bought a $150,000 pontoon with a very fuel efficient 4 stroke engine.
One of my farmer friends just bought a $600,000 combine.

These will be replaced when by electric pontoons and combines ? When and how ?

Your party is also pushing to get rid of beef? You support that ?

Status
  • Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: Politics
Top Bottom