Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote dogs and Private Land Deer Hunting.

I am a landowner and a serious deer hunter. I take a tremendous amount of pride in my property and spend countless amount of time and energy in habitat improvement and providing good hunting for my family. I do not own the deer that pass through my property or spend time on my land. I believe all hunters have the right to enjoy hunting as I do. My question to other hunters is, I am confused by what rights I have as a landowner. I do not want coyote dogs on my land. I have dogs running my property sometimes 4-5 days on some weeks and never go a week without dogs running my land. During bow season I have dogs constantly running and barking all over my property, and have deer running all over my timber. The enjoyment of sitting on stand while dogs are barking and running my timber has ruined countless days of my bowhunting. I have been told by coyote dog hunters their dogs can't read signs. I have been told they can't help that their dogs end up on my land because they released them 1 mile away and they just end up on my land. I have also had dogs hung up on my property and the coyote hunters went on my land to retrieve their dogs. I was told the law reads that they have a right to retrieve their property (which their dogs are) if they are on my land. I am confused as to what rights an actual property owner has. It really seems this is a serious situation that is totally unfair. Would really like to hear opinions of other hunters that have been faced with similar situations.

What does your county conservation officer say about this issue? If you cannot have peace and enjoyment on this farm, it could be time to sell.

Definitely talk to your local game warden/conservation officer. It sounds like they're abusing that regulation. If it's a consistent thing they're just allowing them to run wherever they want and hunt any ground. Document it and take pictures. Put up no trespassing signs. This has been a big conversation online lately and is really just sounds like most want the lay of the land and to hunt with their dogs. I'm not in favor of shooting people's dogs but at what point do you really draw the line if you've warned them multiple times?

I would call the warden! Don’t tolerate dogs on your land. It will wreck it !

Last edited:
I am a landowner and a serious deer hunter. I take a tremendous amount of pride in my property and spend countless amount of time and energy in habitat improvement and providing good hunting for my family. I do not own the deer that pass through my property or spend time on my land. I believe all hunters have the right to enjoy hunting as I do. My question to other hunters is, I am confused by what rights I have as a landowner. I do not want coyote dogs on my land. I have dogs running my property sometimes 4-5 days on some weeks and never go a week without dogs running my land. During bow season I have dogs constantly running and barking all over my property, and have deer running all over my timber. The enjoyment of sitting on stand while dogs are barking and running my timber has ruined countless days of my bowhunting. I have been told by coyote dog hunters their dogs can't read signs. I have been told they can't help that their dogs end up on my land because they released them 1 mile away and they just end up on my land. I have also had dogs hung up on my property and the coyote hunters went on my land to retrieve their dogs. I was told the law reads that they have a right to retrieve their property (which their dogs are) if they are on my land. I am confused as to what rights an actual property owner has. It really seems this is a serious situation that is totally unfair. Would really like to hear opinions of other hunters that have been faced with similar situations.
I have been on both sides of the fence on this issue. Hunters using dogs for any wild game do have the wright to retrieve their dogs from other peoples land , and must leave any weapons at the property line while retrieving the dogs in my state. The land owner must place the required NO TRESPASSING signs and required paint or other requirements by the state in order to make it illegal for other people to come on the property. One needs to think more like some other property owners. We really never own the land as we still have to pay the government property tax for said land and if we do not the government will sell the taxes at auction and after so long those that bought the taxes can foreclose on the land and take ownership of it, if the taxes and intrest are not paid in a certian amount of time. This is the way I understand the law after talking to several Lawyers, and conservation personal in my state. Best luck in getting a big deer as I have the same problem as you describe, but I still get a deer bow hunting if I see one I want. Most dog hunters hunt on the weekends or at night for coons and coyotes. The squirrel and bird hunters are mostly weekend hunters as well
As long as the land has what the deer want and need , they will stay mostly in thier home range which is only a radis of a mile or so from my observation over the last 40 years. Best hunting to all..

Dogs are a real problem that needs to he addressed. Hunting or not they run all over and people do nothing about it. Posts constantly about dogs missing online. In our county there is no leash law and we have been told if they are causing damage you have the right to shoot. This isn't the answer. People need to be held responsible for reoccurring issues with dogs running others properties. No way you can hunt with dogs on an 80 and not expect them to get on other properties. It's BS

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Those that think they should shoot the dogs might want to talk to a lawyer about what could happen if they were to shoot someones dog. I have had this happen to one of my hunting dogs , and the person that shot the dog was sued and lost the case. It only cost him over 10,000 dollars plus the other lawyers fees. Not a happy camper when all said and done.

Those that think they should shoot the dogs might want to talk to a lawyer about what could happen if they were to shoot someones dog. I have had this happen to one of my hunting dogs , and the person that shot the dog was sued and lost the case. It only cost him over 10,000 dollars plus the other lawyers fees. Not a happy camper when all said and done.
Exactly my point. All that due to a dog owner likely being irresponsible. The rules need changing. A law stating a dog causing damage or danger to livestock or property can be shot is to ambiguous. Dogs miles from home on a regular basis are a product of the dogs owner being disrespectful and irresponsible. Warnings should be issued and penalties should be levied

Stupid there are ignorant aholes like that ruining for it for everybody. If it was happening to me during season I would be freaking out and raising hell. Few years ago when the dog bill came out and there was such an uproar there were a few very active dog guy’s across the state contacting others that they knew or heard of hunting recklessly to basically tell them to nock it the hell off and hunt respectfully or this bill is going to come back and screw us. With today’s technology there are plenty of ways to control the dogs and make a good effort to stop them. Sometimes accidents happen and they can get out of pocket but those situations should be few a far between. Hopefully your CO can do something about it

If you know the coyote hunters casually let them know you have taken up trapping and are a huge fan of snares and conibear trail sets. Keep a few traps and snares in your truck to show them.

I grew up in a family that raised sheep and dogs running got shot without a second thought. The coyote hunters in my area have always been respectful, and I appreciate them thinning out the coyotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you know the coyote hunters casually let them know you have taken up trapping and are a huge fan of snares and conibear trail sets. Keep a few traps and snares in your truck to show them.

I grew up in a family that raised sheep and dogs running got shot without a second thought. The coyote hunters in my area have always been respectful, and I appreciate them thinning out the coyotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did this last year because there were 3 dogs running the public year round and came thru our farm regularly. I went over to talk to them and let them know we had guys trapping and that we had the dogs on camera regularly to make him aware. He was furious and extremely rude and angry. Basically said he wasn't responsible for the dogs but of they turned up missing he would then put out the effort to make my life miserable. I told him I was just making him aware and to have a good day. Warden said he could go talk to him but ultimately couldn't enforce anything. Dogs on public without a leash during nesting is not allowed as farm as I remember from when I had a dog last.

IMO, like so many things in this life...a few knuckleheads can ruin it for everyone. I personally think that there is room for coyote hunting with dogs and deer hunting in the same vicinity to coexist under some circumstances. It is definitely bad for the deer for dogs to be running around in the timber with any frequency, but...an occasional hound, or two, or three, that is on a track and vocal...don't seem to me to stir things up very much.

I have watched deer stand still and "track" a trailing hound(s) and go on high alert only to then relax in a few minutes when the threat has passed. I have also watched multiple deer run for their lives so to speak when a couple/three loose dogs come sniffing through the timber. Very disparate reactions, but apparently related to whether the deer were surprised, or not, and how close the dogs got to them.

Our farm is located in an area where there are at least two separate pretty active dog groups. For the most part, the deer guys and the dog guys are able to get along. The dog guys rarely run their dogs during deer season and when they do come through, it is a quick in and out. The real dog problems come when adjacent neighbors don't control their "pets" and these beasts kind of roam all over with frequency, IMO. I feel like the "trade off" for is that we do not have a high coyote population.

If the dog groups have well trained hounds, as in not deer chasers, and they restrict their activity to after deer season then there can be some mutual benefit I think. (BTW, this is not what I understand the OP to be experiencing.) The "my dogs can't read" and "screw you" groups should be aggressively shut down IMO, they are what is wrecking it for many others.

If you do go the SSS route, be absolutely sure that you adhere to the last "S"...that is, don't tell anyone, just get 'er done.

Buddy I hunt and work with has a neighbor directly across from one of his farms that seems to always have a pile of dogs on their acreage. Rescues them or something. We are always working in the shed and around grain bins, etc. at one time they had pitbulls and couple other yard yappers that were always crossing the road and raising hell (barking) while we were there. Sheriff was called and they were warned. We were told every time the dogs came across the road to take pictures and they would get fined. They put in electric fence and it pretty much solved it but I wonder why the owners of these coyote dogs couldn’t be told the same thing and get fined if pictures were taken and it was proven. Again I’m a hound guy always have been and I know sometimes it unavoidable but if it’s continually happing it’s negligence and I think a CO/sheriff could at least threaten this. No difference from the yard yappers to hounds in my opinion. Negligent owners both cases.

Can you explain the scenario? I would never shoot a dog ever, I don’t believe it should be an option.

However, I strongly support landowner rights and would encourage fines for dog owners who let their dogs run and chase deer on someone else’s property.

Why did someone shoot your dog ?

It’s all about the owners, and how much respect they have for the landowners. The majority if not all of the guys around here run GPS on their dogs and make an effort to stop them before they cross into property that they are not cared for. Once in a while, they get through but at least the effort is made. I don’t know of any of them that hunt during bow season, seems kind of early.

Did you let your dogs roam unattended? And without a leash?

If so, I don't empathize with you.

In my neighborhood I have some old school locals who say nothing when it comes to dogs. In the past we’ve had a few dog issues that simply got taken care of. Not saying I agree with the method but it works itself out with no conversation.

Last edited:
Did you let your dogs roam unattended? And without a leash?

If so, I don't empathize with you.
My dogs were trailing a coon and treed it in a fence row accross from a mans house about 10:30PM. I was on my way to get the dog when I heard a gunshot near where my dog was. It was coon season and the dog was not on the persons property at any time. When I asked the man why he shot the dog , he said that it was barking and he did not like it. I belong to a coon hunters club and raise and train the dogs for hunting and to show them at shows. The dog was doing what he was trained to do and I was over a half mile away and on my way to get the dog and coon. When a good dog gets on the trail of a coon , he will go as far as needed to tree the coon. The price of a good coon hide was over 65.00 dollars at that time, and with all the dog food, vet bills, and tags that I had to buy I only had about 8 weeks of hunting to cover some of the expensis.

Over a half mile away? Granted we have smaller farms over here in IL but that stuff doesn't fly anymore. Dogs aren't allowed on our farm.

Tough one. Been there!!! Few side notes…
1) i weigh it all out in big picture cause I want coyotes killed bad!!!!! But leaves me to…
2) if it’s done outside of deer season - not a huge deal. During season - no go!!!
3) if EVERYONES farm is done & it’s after deer season - not a huge deal as everyone’s gets pushed equally.

So…. I’ve gone to these groups & discussed the deer season non-sense. They agreed and stopped. What u describe is some entitled brats giving u attitude…. I would have a really hard time putting up with that crap. Heck- I told one group a long time ago…. Guys, I got a buddy with 20-30 snare sets & 20 foot holds in there. There’s your warning.
I talked to a group in December about 5 miles from me. Friendly chat. Asked them if they get their butts chewed? “oh ya”. I told em… constructive advice…. Wait til after deer season & limit it to like 1 time a week & I bet u get a lot less flack. & they would. There has to be a balance out there combined with respect. There’s a lot of guys that want coyotes killed but don’t want their hunting season killed at same time due to a bunch of idiots. Common sense could prevail here.

Top Bottom