Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ditch hunters...hmmm

dedgeez said:
Hunting by legal means is just fine, and I don't know if that's what people are getting at here! Why don't you explain yourself a bit and help is understand what you mean by ditch hunting for deer?

I mean if you shoot a deer while he is in the ditch.

I don't understand how they get the deer into the ditch?

We've seen them standing in the ditch setting up on a drive of someone elses... That was the last time we ever did a drive. So in that situation they relied on someone else to move the deer into the ditch for them... at a full run I might add. So they had about 0.1 seconds to get a shot as the deer was "in" the ditch, their only legal shot. But of course they shot across the fence into the land they weren't supposed to hunt.

I can also see people setting up in ditches near private land and then sending in a person or two to push out the private ground they don't have permission to, we've experienced that as well, those guys were ticketed.

Maybe I'm thinking into this too much and the ditch hunters have all legal rights to hunt the land on the other side of the fence and can shoot across the fence into that land legally... but if they don't I'm not sure how they expect to get the deer into the ditch to shoot them? Unless they plan on shooting across the fence?

If they do have the legal right to the land on the other side of the fence and are taking the shots across the fence then the ditch hunting can be done legally... but then safety (and legal issues) come into play when they start shooting at deer down the gravel roads... seems this ditch hunting thing takes a lot of self control to not take dangerous/illegal shots. Sadly, most of the people we've experienced hunting from ditches didn't have enough self control.

Last edited:
I mean if you shoot a deer while he is in the ditch.

So you just drive around until you see a deer in the ditch and then hop out and shoot at him? Of are you actually setting up in ditch next to someones property? I don't see to many deer that just stand in the ditch.

Last edited:
dedgeez said:
So you just drive around until you see a deer in the ditch and then hop out and shoot at him? Of are you actually setting up in ditch next to someones property? I don't see to many deer that just stand in the ditch.

I'm not the one that started the post here so I don't know. I'm just stating that its leagal to shoot a deer while he is in the ditch. I don't hunt this way so I can't tell you how people that hunt this way do it. But I have seen deer bedded down in some thick ditches so I can see where it is possible to sneak up on one and maybe get a shot.

Everyone needs to relax, sheesh. What is with all the pissing matches on here lately? As far as we all know we are all hunters after the same "trophy" (in quotes because people categorize it differently), just in different ways. If they want to do it their own way, and it's legal, who are you to judge how they do it? They're opportunistic? Saying you will light the ditch on fire and shoot at them if they are by your land is as bad as all the uneducated lawbreakers. I'm not here to start fights, or stop them, but people need to chill out.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I have actually seen a kid hang a stand in a road ditch on a major deer crossing and hunt out of it. My friend owns the timber the deer were coming out of and he just laughed about it.

hawkjosh22 said:
Everyone needs to relax, sheesh. What is with all the pissing matches on here lately? As far as we all know we are all hunters after the same "trophy" (in quotes because people categorize it differently), just in different ways. If they want to do it their own way, and it's legal, who are you to judge how they do it? They're opportunistic? Saying you will light the ditch on fire and shoot at them if they are by your land is as bad as all the uneducated lawbreakers. I'm not here to start fights, or stop them, but people need to chill out.

Thank you.

I know I pay property taxes to the center of the road. So while I'd never do anyone physical harm while "hunting" my ditches the local DNR would definitely get a call and I would sure make their hunt extremely difficult if they did not ask permission first.

Hunt ditches or roads, even freeways

I actually saw a stand within 15 feet of the interstate the other day. Seriously? How would that be a fun hunt. Everyone would laugh or honk at you while you are in the stand, and a deer would have to cross the interstate for you to get a shot. Not exactly at one with nature!

I think it's that time of the month for the deer hunters...that time being either you have your deer and this has been another great season...or the rut is screwy, the weather is screwy, the moon is screwy, or some guy is in a ditch...all saying the same thing...I don't have my deer and I'm starting to forget everything I love about being a bowhunter!!!

In all crazy seriousness to this post...I have seem some almost neglected dirt roads with some old abandoned electric poles on them with some major deer crossings between two hot areas, and it has definately crossed my mind as to what it would be like to use a climber on one of those poles. I will guarantee someone that in the right set up stopping a big deer in the ditch would be as easy as stopping him in your shooting lane. I've seen a lot of ditches bigger than my shooting lanes!

hawkjosh22 said:

I was thinking the same thing, I think everyone is cranky from not getting enough sleep.:)

Sorry if I crossed the line a little with my last couple posts. It's just this time of the year I spend more time keeping guys on my fence honest than actually hunting. I get along great with most of my neighbors and the guys that hunt on them. I have no problem posting pictures or shareing information with guys hunting in our area, but its the ones that have access to hundreds of acres of great ground, but all their stands are on my fence looking in with nothing on their side that burn my butt. The same guys that have no problem taking a 50+ yard shot and because of Iowas right of recovery law are always wandering around looking for the latest buck they have crippled. When I ask that they at least let me know if they have to look for one, so I can help or at least know what happened, I get the same response, "Its perfectly legal, I dont have to tell you nothing'". So those words set me off about now.The same guys last spring before they started shedhunting, I put a few antlers out 50+ yards off the fence to test them, and they were gone after they pulled out. I did not need a camera at risk to find out how honest they were. I have never had a problem with anyone on this site from posting my pictures, just the guys that pull that, its perfectly legal crap. I have found that with the wimpy Iowa tresspassing laws the only way to get any respect for your fence line is to put the fear for their life in them.Actually I have very little road frontage so the ditch hunting is not much of an issue for me, its just the guys that use the "its legal" untill nobody is looking, that set me off.

I have shot hundreds of crows in the ditches at ames LOL. Oh I miss college!! Nothing like racing in front of the flock with the ole white saturn in the snow. then running a hundred yards up the ditch laying on your back and turning on the crow caller. Just had to make sure you weren't on the telephone pole side.

Top Bottom