Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DWGH Home Farm Projects Thread

Crp, L shaped foodplots on top fields. Only i dont have 6-800 acres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deep woods, I was kinda asking IBH the same question and appreciated his insights/response but I’ll ask you the same....you are burning off crp to replace it with switch. Something I’ve been considering as well but not sure it will be worth the time and effort IF, IF from a bedding and holding power standpoint it’s not going to make much of a difference like IBH suggests (as well as the advantage of crp offering much more in the way of forbs & browse). What are the pros and cons of turning your crp field in to a switch field in your eyes?

Deep woods, I was kinda asking IBH the same question and appreciated his insights/response but I’ll ask you the same....you are burning off crp to replace it with switch. Something I’ve been considering as well but not sure it will be worth the time and effort IF, IF from a bedding and holding power standpoint it’s not going to make much of a difference like IBH suggests (as well as the advantage of crp offering much more in the way of forbs & browse). What are the pros and cons of turning your crp field in to a switch field in your eyes?

It’s currently crap fescue and young tree sprouts (zero whitetail cover). I want to increase the value of the cover on the farm. I have to clean up the trees for re-enrollment anyways.

It’s currently crap fescue and young tree sprouts (zero whitetail cover). I want to increase the value of the cover on the farm. I have to clean up the trees for re-enrollment anyways.

Gotcha. If it was a solid stand of NWSG/crp like I have (I need to educate myself on exactly what is in mine, I know there is big blue, Indian grass, etc...) do you think you’d still be converting it or would you leave it be you think?

Gotcha. If it was a solid stand of NWSG/crp like I have (I need to educate myself on exactly what is in mine, I know there is big blue, Indian grass, etc...) do you think you’d still be converting it or would you leave it be you think?

If i had good stand of Indian, big blue , switch native combo i would 100% leave it alone

f926e3ce341c68ed3a2c3bd55537c620.jpg

Make a quick cruise around the area i burned and found a decent little shed.
Burn turned out pretty good, I just have a few areas of sprouts that i dont want to drill over. Should i hit these with the brush hog and follow up with a broadleaf killer to accompany roundup/atrizine when things green up? Again, im going to be drilling switch here in a few weeks once weather allows.

I got a couple of spots of Blue stem and Indian that I basically use to get in and out of stands. I burnt it last year would you suggest burning every year? It definitely came back much better this year after I burnt it.

Cut the trees worth having along my ditch on the new CRP farm. First 3 loads totaled up about $8,560
.28 bf on cottonwood
.32 bf is n the other pallet lumber (hackberry. Pinoak, locust, hickory etc)
Several logs made 300+ bf
Should have 5-6 more loads yet. This farm is 85+% crp so any timber $ i get is a bonus.
The log on the loader forks is 54’ long
fcbd71e41dfb24ef01cb8e887b4d93d2.jpg

1bf6255837b847939bf940a21f4b692b.jpg

52698507b0b7143bc91305c1ebd0d788.jpg

Got a full day in Saturday. My buddy brought over his big skidsteer and tree pulverizer. We went ham on them for 7-8 hours with that and my brush hog.
The 15 acre switchgrass section is ready to rock n roll as soon as it dries up a bit.
I also burned the 19 acre east field that I’ll work on killing out fescue this spring/summer.
Found a nice shed in my travels, though looks to be a year or two old.
https://youtu.be/b9eF-LVvFIM
1b6e80c98d017c69b239d7b601edaa0b.jpg

Sunday I got some good walking in, unfortunately only yielded a couple dead heads. Both were a couple years old. Sure wish the bigger one was around still, though good to see those genetics are there.
8ff30d5d69e87835ddd2031720b3a838.jpg

38bf52f856fedeb46393098563915691.jpg

Top Bottom