Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Friend's of Iowa didn't go away!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Not trying to bring up all the contraversial stuff, well- this one isn't as contraversial on here at least.

MAN, I have seen a lot from them lately, I think their seasons are ending and they are really ramping up to re-make Iowa hunting, change the laws that have been on the books for decades and make sure their interests are served.

**Did anyone else hear that they sent flyers to all NR permit applicants? How would they have gotten that list if so?

Now's the time to get your IBA membership, discuss this, make others aware and not fall asleep on this topic!!!! Anything else we can do? IBA defending us against this potential tragedy I assume. Folks, this is big!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now's the time to get your IBA membership, discuss this, make others aware and not fall asleep on this topic!!!! </div></div>

or pretend it will all just go away without a fight... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Sligh you may want to explain to some
whom they are. I know but others may not.

Just a suggestion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sligh you may want to explain to some
whom they are. I know but others may not.

Just a suggestion.

</div></div>

Who are they?

I can't prove it but I think the IDNR sells/gives our names to various groups. My 13 year old son has received a few items since drawing a tag last year. Why would the FOI and a couple of outfitters send him a post card? Had to be the IDNR.

I guess I'll provide some insight but most already know. It is my guess than Mickey Hellickson is one of the more influencial organizers of this group. Mr. Hellickson is a native of Humbolt, IA. He is a wildlife biologist for the King Ranch in so. Texas and I believe also consults other landowners in Texas regarding deer management issues. He and his brother Jason (a resident of Iowa) are involved in a couple large leases in the Creston-Osceola area. It is my understanding that these leases have mainly NR members. I know Jason through his position with a large insurance agency in Iowa.

Anyone knowing more details please feel free to correct anything I have stated.

Friends of Iowa is a group that are trying to change the law so NR landowners can get buck tags every year and if you come here and buy land you are guaranteed buck tags. They are wealthy and getting very aggressive on getting their agenda passed (big time lawyers and lobbyists). (side effects- giant outfitting increases, leased land everywhere (I can explain how), NR buying up much or most of land (the 5-7% of ia land that's timber), giant increases in land prices, severely decreased access, giant tracts of land that likely won't get enough does taken, Iowa hunting as you know it- GONE. If you like Illinois, that's a sneak peak). http://www.friendsofiowa.com

My strong opinion and what I believe to be fact:
Vast majority of their support, founding, members, etc come from folks like REALTORS who want land prices to go up, folks who make money of out-of-staters, outfitters who want more $ from guiding, some NR folks that already own land here (yes I think they want to kill a buck every year BUT also want land prices to go up in many cases) or those with rich out of state buddies, etc. Not all BUT that's what I think is most the support. Their motive involves $ and wanting to change the laws that have been on the books for decades (what's made Iowa, well Iowa and what's made it great).

The part that caught my attention is, I hear debates on here on varieties of topics and on other sites all the time that I can see BOTH SIDES and both sides are being honest, transparent and make excellent points with good motives. When I read http://www.Friendsofiowa.com I can't believe what I am reading, I just shake my head almost the whole time (even when I am trying to have an open mind). The way they put things and testimonials, etc just makes me sick. In my opinion, they come off like shisters (spelling?) or the race peddlers you see in the news, stuff like them being discrimated against, sob stories that you just know are a show, how states like Illinois are so wonderful, how Iowa is going down the crapper, etc. It comes across so in-sincere and you can see right through it!!! You'll find 5 dozen examples of pure garbage (and I tried to read it with an open mind!!!) So many of their facts are wrong (iowa and B&C book bucks, etc, etc, etc,), so misleading and they seem like a group that will spin any argument anyway they have to so that their motives (fueled almost entirely by greed in my opinion) get satisfied. They come across like shister politicians or lawyers (just like how they got so CLEVER with their name- give me a break!!!!!) and they will destroy what makes iowa great. That's my opinion and strong belief AND how I perceived it when I've read it over and over. I guess I won't explain it anymore, read it yourself, you'll know what I mean, it's just awful and makes you want to gag it's so tacky and COULD BE such a TRAGEDY if these folks get their way!!!!

They will GREATLY AFFECT EVERYONE ON THIS SITE!!!!!!!! So, the regular guy wants to know, "what can I do"? Would y'all start by saying join IBA????? I know I did, put my small amount of money where my mouth is and made people who are REALLY the friends of iowa know about this group. Spread the word, join IBA and others speak up what the "regular guys" like me can do?!?!?!?

get a list of your legislator's email addys and phone numbers and keep it handy. you will need it. legislators always complain that they rarely hear from hunters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> To find your legislator http://www.legis.state.ia.us/FindLeg/

Once you find your legislator use these links for their email address

Senate email link
http://www.legis.state.ia.us/aspx/Legislators/SenateEmail.aspx

House email link
http://www.legis.state.ia.us/aspx/Legislators/HouseEmail.aspx

DNR Information

Director Richard Leopold
515-281-5385

Deputy Director Liz Christiansen
515-281-3388

Wallace Building - Customer Service
515-281-5918

TIP Phone #
800-532-2020

This link will give you complete DNR roster
http://www.iowadnr.gov/files/dnrroster.pdf

This link for Natural Resource Commission
http://www.iowadnr.com/nrc/files/nrcmembers.pdf </div></div>

Did ya notice they removed the original list of board members?

I guess they didn't want to make it to obvious the board members would benefit a little more than a dead deer on their wall every year. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I Googled them a while back and found some talk on a few Realitor sites.
To them it's just a matter of creating the market so they can suck Iowa dry just like they did in Illinois.....

"Line your walls and wallets." Should be their true mission statement.

as a non resident of Iowa i did get one of those flyers....i watched it burn in my burn barrel so nobody else would get ahold of it...i love Iowa and wish i could hunt every year there but i will sacrifice to keep Iowa what it is....keep up the good work guys

Because of the freedom of information act, all lists of license buyers in Iowa are public information. You can get any list you want, there is a small charge for reproduction and mailing of the list in most states, but it is public information.

I have bought the list of fishing license holders a couple times and trapper's license holders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Friends of Iowa is a group that are trying to change the law so NR landowners can get buck tags every year and if you come here and buy land you are guaranteed buck tags. They are wealthy and getting very aggressive on getting their agenda passed (big time lawyers and lobbyists). (side effects- giant outfitting increases, leased land everywhere (I can explain how), NR buying up much or most of land (the 5-7% of ia land that's timber), giant increases in land prices, severely decreased access, giant tracts of land that likely won't get enough does taken, Iowa hunting as you know it- GONE. If you like Illinois, that's a sneak peak). http://www.friendsofiowa.com

My strong opinion and what I believe to be fact:
Vast majority of their support, founding, members, etc come from folks like REALTORS who want land prices to go up, folks who make money of out-of-staters, outfitters who want more $ from guiding, some NR folks that already own land here (yes I think they want to kill a buck every year BUT also want land prices to go up in many cases) or those with rich out of state buddies, etc. Not all BUT that's what I think is most the support. Their motive involves $ and wanting to change the laws that have been on the books for decades (what's made Iowa, well Iowa and what's made it great).

The part that caught my attention is, I hear debates on here on varieties of topics and on other sites all the time that I can see BOTH SIDES and both sides are being honest, transparent and make excellent points with good motives. When I read http://www.Friendsofiowa.com I can't believe what I am reading, I just shake my head almost the whole time (even when I am trying to have an open mind). The way they put things and testimonials, etc just makes me sick. In my opinion, they come off like shisters (spelling?) or the race peddlers you see in the news, stuff like them being discrimated against, sob stories that you just know are a show, how states like Illinois are so wonderful, how Iowa is going down the crapper, etc. It comes across so in-sincere and you can see right through it!!! You'll find 5 dozen examples of pure garbage (and I tried to read it with an open mind!!!) So many of their facts are wrong (iowa and B&C book bucks, etc, etc, etc,), so misleading and they seem like a group that will spin any argument anyway they have to so that their motives (fueled almost entirely by greed in my opinion) get satisfied. They come across like shister politicians or lawyers (just like how they got so CLEVER with their name- give me a break!!!!!) and they will destroy what makes iowa great. That's my opinion and strong belief AND how I perceived it when I've read it over and over. I guess I won't explain it anymore, read it yourself, you'll know what I mean, it's just awful and makes you want to gag it's so tacky and COULD BE such a TRAGEDY if these folks get their way!!!!

They will GREATLY AFFECT EVERYONE ON THIS SITE!!!!!!!! So, the regular guy wants to know, "what can I do"? Would y'all start by saying join IBA????? I know I did, put my small amount of money where my mouth is and made people who are REALLY the friends of iowa know about this group. Spread the word, join IBA and others speak up what the "regular guys" like me can do?!?!?!? </div></div>Whats wrong with that Sligh? According to some on this site it is just some hard working hunters like you and I just trying to make a living. It's called business! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

I read some of the testimonials on their site and they were ridiculous. Pushing how Iowa is so overrun with deer,,and if they only can get out here to help. I was going to reply at the spot they provided,,but then I thought maybe not.? Will write my legislators again though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fatboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Whats wrong with that Sligh? According to some on this site it is just some hard working hunters like you and I just trying to make a living. It's called business! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif </div></div>

we the stronger man... be the stronger man....

Can't do it...can't do it.....

If some people on this site had their way, they and their small group of friends would be the only ones allowed. There will be complaining no matter who hunts this state. Half the guys here would do anything they could to get the resident tags reduced as long as it didn't effect them!!!

P.S. I do a ton to help stop NR tags. I am a large supporter of the IBA and will continue to do so! Hell I support enough that I even have a deer print I bought on the auction at Fall Festival after a drink too many and asked my wife where it came from! Turns out I paid top dollar!!

Keep fighting the good fight! Keep calling and emailing! One voice can be a loud voice when backed by thousands!

I am with StringLeech. I loved the time I spent in IA, probably the best 8 years of my life and wish that I coudl return every year to have a crack at an IA whitetail. However, if drawing a tag once every 3 years means keeping the deer hunting how it is in the state then I am willing to sacrifice. Just lets those 120" 2.5 year olds that I passed this year grow to 180" 5.5yr olds by the time I can return /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I will continue to support IA like I did when I was a resident. I know that when the time comes for me to return and hunt it will be a quality hunt because of the currrent wildlife management practices in place.

Kratz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkratz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know that when the time comes for me to return and hunt it will be a quality hunt because of the currrent wildlife management practices in place.
</div></div>

And because of your treestand hook ups back in the old stomping grounds!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Top Bottom