Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gun hunting ethics question......

My son and a friend hunted his 1st gun season today. He has hunted pretty much everything since a very young age. Bow hunted deer only until today. Anyway he sat on stand in southern ia. today and around 10:00 has a monster buck come right to him. Shoots the deer and the deer goes about 10 yds. onto an adjoining property. Sees the deer bedded and dying. Decided to let it die and backed off where he can watch it. A couple minutes pass and he hears shooting and slugs zooming and deer running. Spots a hunter who starts shooting at his downed deer like 5 times! He tells the party that he was watching it and letting it expire and they don't give a rats butt and start gutting it right away. He even told them to look at the blood trail as to where he shot it at and they don't even take a look. What the heck is going on here. Are gun hunters this bad?
Can some one tell me what he did wrong? He's very upset about it. I wish I wasn't 3 1/2 hrs. away.

Should have called the conservation officer/sheriff is the only advice I can give.

I about had the reverse happen today. Watched a wounded buck coming at me off the neighbors. I wanted to put it out of it's misery and make sure it didn't elude them. I was worried if I shot it they would say, "Good job, your deer!"(I had this happen once before). It was a small buck, not something I had planned on shooting. Luckily, it went down and stayed down and they followed the blood trail to it.

Odd that people will quickly give away a little buck but would trip their Grandmother to get to a big buck first. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Thats southern Iowa. Everyone knows someone so they can hunt every property, even if the person they know doesn't own it or have any connection to the property.

Its great. Today was a refresher on why I do not shotgun hunt.

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif nanny had a taste today > Thats why I just bow hunt . Sorry for your son prob just isnt right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Today was a refresher on why I do not shotgun hunt. </div></div>

I enjoy going with my son...otherwise I would rather not participate.

I was in a stand near the road when I fella drove his ATV down the road, backed it into the ditch and prepared to "hunt" my place from the road.

Eventually he saw my blaze orange or my son's blind marked in the same manner and decided he better leave.

I guess that's the only bad thing about not going is not knowing what is going on when I'm not there...... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Seems like it brings out the worst in some people and every year all kinds of upsetting stories arise during shotgun seasons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to shotgun season. Pretty much why I quit doing it right there. </div></div>

Same here. There will be no shortage of a-holes in the timber the next few weeks. Don't get me wrong, but I think many know where I'm coming from.

A few bad apples ruin the whole damn bunch. Plenty of great shotgun hunters out there, too bad the only stories you hear of are horror stories.

Bummer for your son.

By and large I consider shotgun season to be amateur week. I realize it's a somewhat unfair blanket statement cause there's some good guys out there for the right reasons but there's a ton of once a year guys that don't have the respect for other hunters, the game they're hunting and the land they're on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By and large I consider shotgun season to be amateur week. I realize it's a somewhat unfair blanket statement cause there's some good guys out there for the right reasons but there's a ton of once a year guys that don't have the respect for other hunters, the game they're hunting and the land they're on. </div></div>

I think that is pretty well said. I am with dbltree though, if I had ground in IA, I would be in the tree a bunch during shotgun season just for patrole purposes.

Kratz

Every one certainly has the right to choose what they want to participate in and at what level as long as it is legal. What I don't care for is some of the blanket statements about shotgun seasons and hunters. This fall I have read several stories about these same type of things with bow hunters. I remember one about a teenager shooting his first deer with a bow, a nice buck. The buck ran off onto a neighbors land and the boy and father couldn't follow it that night and decided to wait until morning. The next morning they found where another bow hunter on that property had found the dead deer that night while he was walking out, dressed it, tagged it, and hauled it home. Even after being contacted by several sources, the low life refused to give up the deer. There was another on just this morning about a guy shooting a big buck while on a drive. He field dressed and tagged it and continued on with the drive. Then when he went back to retrieve his deer he found it with the head cut off, with the head and his tag gone. Some people even blamed the hunter, saying it was his own fault because he didn't stop the drive and take the deer back to his truck. Where have we gotten to?

I also read lots of similar stories about bow hunters tracking their bucks and finding them with the heads cut off. There were also stories about trespassing, and hunting from others stands and lots of stolen stands, so there are a lot of disrespectful bow hunters as well.

The biggest difference between bow season and shotgun seasons, as far as ethics, in my opinion is just the numbers and the time frame involved. There are around 40,000 bow hunters spread out all over the state for more than 2 months before gun season. There are about 250,000 gun hunters pushed into 12 days in December, so it is only natural that there are more "JERK" stories during the gun seasons. I am not trying to indite any hunters, either bow or gun hunters, only the jerks and neither group has a exclusive on them. A unethical jerk is an unethical jerk no mater what weapon he chooses to hunt with. He might not be an illegal jerk, but many are, but he certainly is an unethical jerk.

I hear ya bowmaker, But shotgun season to me is still like a bunch of looters out cruising the woods, shooting running deer, nobody knowing who shot what, drivers in the line of fire, and for the most part I know there are alot that do it safe, but most of these people hunt one weekend a year, and I doubt many evan shoot thier guns before the season. I guess if you shotgun hunt and you get a deer you dont want to lose then you better dig a foxhole and pull your deer into it untill the shooting stops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By and large I consider shotgun season to be amateur week. I realize it's a somewhat unfair blanket statement cause there's some good guys out there for the right reasons but there's a ton of once a year guys that don't have the respect for other hunters, the game they're hunting and the land they're on.</div></div>

I strongly agree..

On Saturday morning, a buddy and I went patrolling down south on some properties that he hunts and saw quite a bit of orange. We managed to catch up with one group as they were sitting outside their "camp" and walked up to them to see if they had shot anything. To say they were amateurs would be an overstatement - these guys had no clue.

This group had shot one huge buck that would have easily went over 160 as a ten pointer. Which they claimed was also only a 2 year old by showing us the bottom front teeth on this buck.
slap.gif
We then began to ask all the routine questions about it.

"Whoa who shot this?" as I pointed to a shot that landed right on the shoulder. One of their smarter more appropriately dressed hunters answered, "Well, I made that shot."

A perfect quartering to shot that punched right through the front section blew out lungs, liver, and exited through the guts. The deer only went 30 yards after he had hit it /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif. But this is when my buddy and I almost threw up.

Another kid (seemed a little inbred if you asked me) said, "Yeah but 2 bad. He dont getta claim that der buck cuz my pal hit him first and in our group da rules alwaze been first woondin shot gets da deers. Its been dat way for thirdy sum years and thats da way it has bun and always will be. Too bad all we had to trak was da fecal madder. There was a lot of fecal madder comin from him."
notallthere.gif
O my god.

"Oh really? Where did your buddy hit him at exactly?"

He pulls the deer over and shows my buddy and I a scratch on its leg, right between the dew claws and the hoof. The hit was so questionable as to if it was even caused by a slug!! There was no blood coming from it (or fecal matter /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif) and it was hardly noticeable. A flesh wound, if that. The hunter who had put the VITAL shot on the deer was absolutely depressed
grumble.gif
. We had some special words for him.

"Call the CO! He will make it right!!"

He said he couldn't though since he knew if he did that he would never be able to hunt on these guys' property ever again.

"Who cares! Find something else to bowhunt!"

That made our stomachs hurt damn near the whole day. The saddest part of the story is the hunter who really did KILL that deer had thousands of trail camera photos of it during the summer. He was the only one who bow hunted, scouted, and ran trail cameras on that property and now his buck was going to ride home in the back some guy's pickup that didn't even have a clue about deer hunting. Its sad to think that buck is in his hands only because he scraped its foot!?!?! It pissed me off!

The only thing I know though, is if I had made that shot on that buck it wouldn't have been going anywhere accept on MY wall. Sorry to that unfortunate hunter and to that buck for more than likely going to the back of someone's garage to collect dust. I have a picture of it on my phone and he also showed us a bunch of the trail photos of it but I don't think I am going to post it. Lets just say - it was BIG.

I'm not blaming it on every shotgunner in Iowa, because I KNOW that most every other group would have had enough common sense to realize what is right in this situation. But ethics wise, unquestionably, this case was insane.

Top Bottom