Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Here's My Solution to the Problems Raccoons Cause

We use both Duke and Z-traps. The Z-traps are nice because the trigger is 2-way and made in Iowa. But they have this weird disk on the stake that is a pain to shove into the ground. Still not sure what it’s purpose.

Both work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The disk helps stabilize the trap I believe.

Probably start trapping raccoons today. Caught another woodchuck Thursday. Shot a family of raccoons Thursday night. Seen many raccoons crossing the road at dusk. So far the raccoons haven’t broke into the chicken coop.

Pretty sure my dog proofs are Wolf Creek Diablos…. Cheaper and they have a door on the bottom you can open and close to empty bait and other things out easier with. They catch coons just as well as the other DPs I used.

Could be. My experience is that it makes them pretty tough to push into frozen ground in the winter. But, hey, now that we can trap them all year long…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's the spirit. Spring, before they den up, and before hens start nesting, is the time to hammer them.

Could be. My experience is that it makes them pretty tough to push into frozen ground in the winter. But, hey, now that we can trap them all year long…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A lot of guys I know don’t use dog proofs when the ground is frozen hard. If the trap doesn’t come out of the ground, you lose all swiveling in the trap and chains and will have wring outs.

I run duke & z trap. I’ll run a pile of each & often a 1 of each in both spots. As of TODAY- I’m gonna say duke catches more than z trap. I thought it would be other way around. My GUESS is - the z trap is harder to trigger. Often times they are not triggered. So- I have to choose to set the trap really close to one of the 2 edges - push or pull - which makes it essentially a 1 direction trap. If I set it in the middle for push/pull - they usually don’t get triggered. I’m far from trap expert but I’ve caught a gazillion coons in these now & im not as impressed with z traps as I thought I would be.

I'm all for trapping them, wish that I lived on my property so i could be there and run traps year round. What are you doing with them all?? Gotta be some rank ditches!

I'm all for trapping them, wish that I lived on my property so i could be there and run traps year round. What are you doing with them all?? Gotta be some rank ditches!
Pretty sure you can be fined for discarding in ditches

Ideally, how often do these traps need to be checked? What's the maximum number of days, you could let them ride?

Top Bottom