Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HSF 556

ElkHunter

Life Member
House sub committee voted against 556. No increase of non res tag from the House and the Senate has stated No increase.
No movement on SF 2021, most likely will be pigeon holed the 1st week of March.

The legislators I have spoke with have heard a decent response from Iowa sportsmen on this issue. For those of you who are taking the time to get this done, I personally THANK YOU. You are being heard and have made a difference.

GOODIE GOODIE the whitetail are all yours! They kept any more of that dirty out of state revenue from getting into Iowa. I bet if they charge $310 for residents to hunt, you’d be screaming to let more NR's in to keep the price down.

Somebody do the math for me, 12,000 NR licenses at 60% kill rate will do what to the deer herd?...............getting kind of quiet in here. That’s it take your toys and go home!

I’ve deer hunted with a group in Iowa for 12 years and only missed one year, because we hadn’t figured out the silly Iowa loop hole for getting a license every year. We’ll just keep coming and buying your groceries, gas, beer and over priced licenses. We’ll hunt with are farmer friends and take them and their families out for a big Iowa prime rib dinner and tell hunting stories.

I love coming to your state every year. I enjoy the hunting, the land and those that aren’t so selfish with the Iowa resources. The rest of you keep fighting the fight

Earflap

Refer to my other post on the issue Earflap...Tell me one thing earflap and be honest...why is Michigan not noted for quality bucks on a regular basis?????

That is what us Iowans are trying to protect...btw...I buy groceries every week....plus gas..tons of beer, etc etc.

Glad to see the way the legislators looked at the issue
waytogo.gif

waytogo.gif

Btw Earflap, if your going to mock our (resident) position at least try to understand what our position is. It's not the deer 12,000 NR's would shoot, but where they were going to shoot them. ACCESS is the primary concern.

Thanks for your input earflap. I appreciate your honesty and whole heartedly thank for justifying our persistance to get the "loopholes" closed up. Keep bragging about how you work the system. It does nothing but give us more reason to keep up the fight. If your alleged 60% kill is correct, then the extra tags would serve very little purpose in the management of our herd. As for the revenue created by the extra tags, there are many other ways to create those funds and still keep land access good for everyone, both res. and non. res. alike.

You guys keep working on the NR loop holes and the NR license numbers. While you’re doing that your local residents are lining up 30 to 40 strong on your back roads pushing whole sections. Your "if it’s brown it’s down" deer herd management surly has down nothing to do with the numbers or quality of the herd. You might want to check behind the bushes and ditches after the season and see what didn’t warrant the long walk from the edge of the road to check for blood.

I understand that it is also about hunting access, where we hunt; we have gone from 1200 to 400 acres. A professional bow hunter has bought or leased nearly 6000 acres around us. So we pay more and more to hunt Iowa and so far we’ll keep paying. If hunting for free is your issue then I think not enough public hunting land is your problem. Maybe you can get your state to fix that too.

You’re going to have a hard time convincing anybody that 8000 NR hunters are the root of all evil.

EARFLAP!

PS

I still love you Iowa fellers. That’s why we keep coming back.

Ha ha ha...somebody from Michigan telling another state how to manage a deer herd....ha ha ha. I am gonna laugh all day about that one.
grin.gif

If we are doing things so wrong, why are folks like you lining up to come here?

[ QUOTE ]

I understand that it is also about hunting access, where we hunt; we have gone from 1200 to 400 acres. A professional bow hunter has bought or leased nearly 6000 acres around us. So we pay more and more to hunt Iowa and so far we’ll keep paying.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling your going end up "cutting your own throat" on this issue Earflap....
I am very thankful for all those that took the time to let their voice be heard. I'm hopeful as sportsmen we can all continue to have a strong voice that will be heard both by the DNR and our legislators.

Everyone needs to keep contacting their legislators. There's still some bills that need our voices. I agree with dbltree, the sportsmen of this state are being heard and we are making a difference.

Earflap, I think your starting a battle here you know you won't win.
doah.gif
Good Luck......

i am an iowa resident and i have followed this resident vs. non resident debate for a long time and i think it just misses the point and is very short sighted. the vocal iowa hunters focus on trying to keep non residents out when the greater problems are getting more land for hunting and securing a quality buck population for the future. part of the problem is the iowa dnr, which just basically tries to protect their turf and get more money for themselves. why, for instance, does the dnr not engage in land leasing for hunters as kansas, nebraska, the dakotas all do? buying land for public hunting can't really accomplish much considering high prices and low funds, whereas leasing large blocks is fairly cheap and can be paid for by license fees. another example of dnr cluelessness was the rifle hunt in late jan. which mainly just killed alot of bucks, either buttons or ones which had shed their antlers.
bow hunters in iowa have it good with all the rut to themselves, but they fail to recognize the random slaughter of quality deer that takes place during the shotgun seasons as the deer driving party hunters of iowa with unlimited licenses shoot up the countryside killing everything that has antlers and frequently trespassing or alienating landowners with their tactics. most of the party hunters pride themselves on killing bucks only. this has very little to do with sport or sportsmanship or even hunting -it is more a form of food gathering.
the good private hunting land in iowa will continue to be bought or leased by hunters, either resident or non resident. depriving the state of non resident hunter's money does not help and allowing the buck slaughter in december to continue is mindless.

Nodriver, is this what you had in mind? Looks like we've won the HSF556 now lets go after HS735. Below is the explanation for this bill. What's everyone's opinion of 735?

<font color="blue"> </font> HS735

3 29 This bill appropriates funds to the conservation practices
3 30 revolving loan fund and to the public hunting, parks, and
3 31 trails program fund created in the bill.
3 32 The bill appropriates .5 percent of sales and use tax
3 33 receipts for a 10=year period from July 1, 2005, and ending
3 34 June 30, 2015, into the conservation practices revolving loan
3 35 fund created in Code section 161A.71 to be used for the
4 1 purpose of establishing new permanent soil and water
4 2 conservation practices on private land.
4 3 The bill requires the department of natural resources to
4 4 establish the public hunting, parks, and trails program and
4 5 fund and appropriates revenue arising from the sales and use
4 6 tax to fund the program. The bill appropriates 1.5 percent of
4 7 sales and use tax receipts for the 10=year period from July 1,
4 8 2005, and ending June 30, 2015, and 2 percent thereafter to
4 9 fund the program.
4 10 <font color="blue"> </font> , undertake projects involving vertical infrastructure
4 13 in public parks, and to undertake projects for recreation
4 14 trails development. The bill provides that funds appropriated
4 15 for the program shall be evenly divided and expended by the
4 16 department to undertake the three stated purposes of the
4 17 program. <font color="blue"> </font>
4 27 The bill requires the department to undertake projects
4 28 involving existing and new vertical infrastructure in existing
4 29 and new parks.
4 30 The bill also requires the department to undertake projects
4 31 involving the acquisition, development, promotion, and
4 32 management of recreation trails throughout the state, but not
4 33 involving the purchase of rights=of=way to recreation trails.
4 34 The bill creates a public hunting, parks, and trails
4 35 program advisory board consisting of six public members who
5 1 represent three agricultural groups and three conservation,
5 2 habitat, and wildlife groups and who are appointed by the
5 3 director of the department of natural resources. The bill
5 4 provides that appointments to the advisory board are for three
5 5 years and that the board shall meet once annually in July for
5 6 the purpose of reviewing the projects undertaken in the
5 7 previous year to determine what public benefits have been
5 8 accomplished by the program. The bill also provides that the
5 9 advisory board shall prepare and deliver an annual report of
5 10 the board's findings to the general assembly on or before
5 11 December 15 of each year. <font color="blue"> </font>

Silvertip did you get that moose with your Iowa resident moose license..........BRIGHT BOY!

They should make you the president of the Iowa deer herd!

Is anybody seeing a pattern here?

Do the math my friend, 10,500 total for both buck and doe were lined up and didn’t get a license. I understand that might be a pretty big number for you.

Michigan had 41,637 apply for an Elk license, 155 were successful ………….and how long was your line? We also have 1.7 million deer and nobody waits in line. The difference is Michigan has a few trees for them to hide behind. There might be a couple racks hiding in them trees somewhere. It’s almost like hunting to find them thou.

DEE DA DEE!!!!!

Nodriver, you take it from here.

Anybody else hear that hammer hit that nail right on the head?.........He's the kind of Iowa resident that I have hunted with for the past 12 years.

Nodriver there is a prime rib dinner with your name on it in south central Iowa next season. Meet us at the Hard Water on Dec. 1.

EARFLAP!

Comments like these make me want to see the DNR just limit the number to 5000 or so and list the NR tags on eBay. Let the market decide what tags are worth and preserve the access for residents.
The biggest problem with the internet is even if you win the argument, you look like an idiot.

No earflap, I didn't use my iowa tag. Nor did I search out a loophole to get it. I bought that tag in B.C. The other thing I didn't do was tell the residents of B.C., or residents of any state or province for that matter how they should run and control there own resources. BTW, my degree in wildlife biology might make me eligeable for the job bud.
grin.gif

Then as a biologist it must tear you up when you see the huge groups of locals driving deer with vehicles and massacring the deer as they run across the roads. For a long time I thought they were trying to run over all of us NR’s. It looked like the Iowa version of a bad Mad Max movie.

I agree you guys should be able to take care of your own herd, but when I hear all the time spent worrying about a whopping 4% of the hunters in Iowa, I think you’re a little miss-guided. You really think that 4% of the hunters are buy or leasing up all your hunting land?

I have never paid for hunting land and I legally buy a Iowa deer license every year.
My point is and has been your issues if there are any are not the NR’s. Look with-in and work your way out.

Come on I know it hurts, but I can tell inside your thinking I might be right. Its ok you can say it out loud………Bud.

Earflap

earflap,
I'm gone to chime in now.I am a nr and I am ok with the way the dnr does things in Iowa.If I were you I would cut this off while I was behind.Its this kinda talk that makes people in iowa think all nr are wingnuts.I for one don't want to get thrown in with that bunch of apples.When your a guest, act like a guest is my motto.
doug
frown.gif

Earflap, go and ask a resident of western IL who used to hunt the ground he farmed or helped maintain, how he feels about increasing NR tags and virtually guaranteeing a tag every year. It spells lots and lots of outfitters and the further commercialization of our great deer. It also more importantly means that his hunting rights on that huting property have seized because an outfitter virtually leases or owns every big timber or prime hunting ground in IL or a very wealthy man has it.

I can personally tell you when an outfitter gets ground he doesn't try to control the herd therefore increasing the deer population.
Right now the way it is is just fine because residents are controlling the deer herds which the numbers will show this year and our quality of deer wont be whored out to the highest bidder. which will happen if the tags increased.

Here is a question for you. What happens if the guys you hunt with during shotgun season all of sudden tell you we leased out or sold our ground to an outfitter and we're left with a couple of small drws to push and the only way you can hunt the ground you currently are hunting is to pay that outfitter? What happens to us residents will happern to u as well mark my words.

Top Bottom