Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunt report / Rut report

Had a super good looking bobcat come through an hour ago. Just had a doe at 34 yards being pushed by a little forky. I missed the doe. She was a little edgy from being chased and ducked my arrow. Drats!

Doe at 8 am, soon as the sun came out around 1030 three bucks all came into the CRP from different directions.. one 3.5 ten broken up, had the look of love in his eyes..

Am hunt had a couple small bucks roaming before 8. Neighbors hunted their crp starting right at 8 and pushed a bunch of does and another little guy onto the property I was hunting.

Pm hunt saw probably 10 deer, two young bucks and a nice 9 or 10 that I'm not sure I know. I'd guess he's 3. The young bucks weren't doing anything, but the older one was pushing a doe a little bit. Fun hunt!

Had a fun evening hunt on SE Iowa. Had 3 small fork horns hangin around most of the afternoon, and several does work in, drew back on one 2 different times but they kept getting run off by the forkie, he lucky I only have one buck tag or he would be on the grill tonight...will be back at it bright and early in the morning...really not ready to freeze my balls off...

Bumped a buck and doe bedded under my stand on the walk in. All I seen was a frame but looked decent. Sat till dark, 2 does with fawn and lone confused button buck.

West central Iowa

Am hunt, 8 does all within bow range. But they must have seen me trimming shooting lanes this summer. Seemed like they knew where they were. Heard one buck beating up a cedar tree.
PM hunt was a fun one. Took my 7yr old out for the first time. In a ground blind on a food plot. First doe at 3:30, and around 9more the rest of the night. Some were acting spooky. Found out why at 5:45. My son spotted a bobcat staring at us 40 yards away! He was so excited! Then to top that a doe came past at 3 feet! Too close to draw, but my son's eyes were as big as saucers. No bucks but still a fun night.
West Central Iowa

I put in 26 hours of stand time since Thursday. Seen 12 bucks and 29 does with just the normal immature small bucks harassing does.
At 8:30 Friday I was woken up by a couple 110 ish locking horns 60 yds behind me and they were going at it. The loser ran off snorting up a storm.
I hunted at my friends house Saturday and always see lots of deer. The PM hunt was the best for myself. Covered up in deer the last hour. A solid 140 buck working a scrape at 25 yards with the little bucks chasing does in the field, he just watched them then later he headed into the deep woods.
The best is still yet to come.

Last edited:
A little slow so far this weekend. Lots of doe and fawns feeding but only a 2 year old 8 doing any pushing. Spotted a 3 year old ten on the move around 10 yesterday. I thought we would see some good brassica action after the hard freeze but they were not really on them at all.

1 doe being followed by a 6 point. He was grunting a little but not pushing her real hard. He came back a coupl hours later about the same time a spike showed up, they locked together and just pushed each other a little. Took a break to get lunch and warm up... will be back out this afternoon until dark.. just isn’t quite time for all day sits yet.

A little slow so far this weekend. Lots of doe and fawns feeding but only a 2 year old 8 doing any pushing. Spotted a 3 year old ten on the move around 10 yesterday. I thought we would see some good brassica action after the hard freeze but they were not really on them at all.

Tell me about it...I sat over probably our best brassica stand this year and saw limited action. A doe, which I missed, a little buck following her and then later another doe at a distance. They were all just passing through too, not feeding on the tender plants. Go figure.

Tell me about it...I sat over probably our best brassica stand this year and saw limited action. A doe, which I missed, a little buck following her and then later another doe at a distance. They were all just passing through too, not feeding on the tender plants. Go figure.
Sat by a different brassica plot tonight and had better action. Several does feeding while young bucks harassed them. I was hunting this spot for a specific buck and he showed up but managed to avoid giving me a shot. He's an old buck with a mediocre rack but I'd like to wrap a tag on him .

Sat by a different brassica plot tonight and had better action. Several does feeding while young bucks harassed them. I was hunting this spot for a specific buck and he showed up but managed to avoid giving me a shot. He's an old buck with a mediocre rack but I'd like to wrap a tag on him .
Saw 10+ different bucks this weekend but nothing older than 3.5. Just not quite ready here. SE Iowa.

Last two days have been hot the first and last two hours. Young bucks chasing does this morning and does were everywhere. I decided to check the wind and let go a handful of milkweed early this morning. Watched it sail into the CRP field behind me where nothing ever comes from. Perfect I thought, until I saw a shooter right in line with my drifting milkweed. Lol. C'mon man!

Never fails

Passed some nice 3 year olds this weekend, still most morning cruising. Here's a crappy screen shot of the best one I seenScreenshot_20171028-204109-768x1365.jpg

I had normal feeding activity this weekend with the exception of 2yr olds running around like they were completely insane. Living through my buddy who has the week off as I wait for my vacay to start

I had normal feeding activity this weekend with the exception of 2yr olds running around like they were completely insane. Living through my buddy who has the week off as I wait for my vacay to start

My son hunted yesterday and the AM sit produced some activity, but nothing earth shaking. He did see a nice 4 year old 10 pointer, otherwise...general, miscellaneous does/fawns and young bucks. Last evening was slow, maybe a dozen does/fawns out to feed before dark. Nothing noteworthy in terms of bucks. The best days lie ahead though.

Top Bottom