Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Deer Contraceptive

jrjr23

I looked all over this wensite before I posted this because I thought it would be here. If it is and I missed it please remove this:

DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa wildlife experts are looking into a new deer contraceptive that could curb the state's multimillion-dollar-a-year overpopulation problem.

The new, single-dose birth control vaccine would neutralize sex hormones in the famously fertile and polygamous animals. It would result in infertility in both males and females.
"It's not something you want anyone or everyone to use," said Dale Garner, wildlife bureau chief at the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. "We want to make sure it's not used willy-nilly in the state."
In order to do that, there's a bill before the state Legislature aimed at regulating wildlife contraceptives. The proposed legislation would also restrict the use of growth hormones in deer, as well as drugs for sedating animals or treating them for disease.
The contraceptive vaccine, called GonaCon, is being developed by researchers at the National Wildlife Research Center, a branch of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in March, said Gail Keirn, a spokeswoman for the research center.
The EPA wouldn't likely approve the drug until early 2008, making it the first wildlife contraceptive available for nonresearch purposes.
Researchers say the vaccine, a protein, shouldn't be dangerous for people to eat meat from a vaccinated deer. However, Garner worries about what could happen if people are accidentally injected with the drug.
"What if some people in a neighborhood get a deer down ... and it's kicking or takes a side step or a roll and some guy or lady gets injected in the rear end?" he said. "Or if somebody's shooting a dart gun at deer in a park, and it misses an animal and hits a person? Or if a kid picks up an unspent dart and the injection goes off?"
Use of wildlife contraception in Iowa is not a common practice, so far, said Chad Machart, president of the Iowa Whitetail Deer Association. Other vaccines have seemed impractical because they required singling out females for an injection, then finding the same animals again later for a booster shot.
Garner said it could cost anywhere from $300 to $1,000 to capture and inject each deer with the vaccine, adding that its effect lasts only two years

I might not go so far as to say it will never happen. The liberals in Iowa City have been waiting for such a drug and they WILL pay for it (with my tax dollars
mad.gif
). They have already been paying for sharpshooters.

I don't think contraception will work in the long run. Too many variables.

I guess there goes the "natural, organic, no hormones, no drugs" protein source venison enjoys.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
it could cost anywhere from $300 to $1,000 to capture and inject each deer with the vaccine, adding that its effect lasts only two years

[/ QUOTE ]

bigshock.gif
Doesn't sound as practical as letting bowhunters take care of the problem in urban areas.

Of course as mentioned the folks in IC most likely wouldn't bat an eye...
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I guess there goes the "natural, organic, no hormones, no drugs" protein source venison enjoys.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing you guys were. The meat I value so much and put on the table for the wife and kids is now tainted with hormones injections???
confused.gif

A much cheaper method would be to teach the female deer to 'just say no'. They could call the program 'No Does'.

Ya, this is a great idea...

Then, after you administer the shot, you brand them with a big "S" (Sterile) on their butt
with the date so you can do it again in two years.
smirk.gif

Ya, and then, you could brand the people that came up with the idea with a big "S" on their butt for STUPID!
grin.gif

In hindsight, who can blame these guys. Some idiot PETA member probably them millions of dollars to come up with this crap.

Good points about a dumb idea guys.

I grew up very close to Iowa City and spent a summer working for the Iowa DNR (Hawkeye Wildlife Area in Swisher)and I have two things to add to the discussion about what is going on over there.
First, and I'm not trying to make any kind of political stance, but it's not necessarily the liberals in Iowa City that are coming up with these dumb ideas, it's more about the greedy money hungry developers expanding the city into the only remaining wooded areas around the town. If you put your house, and your garden where the deer live and decide to displace a large herd of deer near the largest interstate in the nation you're undoubtedly going to have problems.

2nd, The Iowa DNR let the public down with the people they allowed to be called "sharp-shooters"...I have first hand knowledge of the results from the sharp-shooters success report leading up to 2002. There were twice as many bucks shot as does. The sharp-shooters were trophy hunters and IDNR didn't do enough to penalize them. Kind of a waste if you ask me. I've seen and held several of the racks that came from the urban hunts.

I would love to be standing there and whack every doe they just sterilized and say, "You spent thousands of dollars so these deer wouldn't breed for two years, and I spent 12 dollars a pop and I guarantee you they won't breed"
grin.gif
That is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.
confused.gif

GOOD IDEA!!! US NON-RESIDENTS WILL PAY FOR IT THROUGH THE NON-RESIDENT STERILE DOE BREEDING PROBLEM!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it could cost anywhere from $300 to $1,000 to capture and inject each deer with the vaccine, adding that its effect lasts only two years

[/ QUOTE ]

bigshock.gif
Doesn't sound as practical as letting bowhunters take care of the problem in urban areas.

Of course as mentioned the folks in IC most likely wouldn't bat an eye...
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Wouldn't condoms be cheaper?

Top Bottom