Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Just to stir the pot a little

This is the exact thing I was talking about in another post. This is why if you run across one in Iowa, take it out. Everyone of the lions killed here in Iowa are 1 1/2 year to 2 year olds. They are young animals that aren't very experianced hunters. They will take an easy kill if they can, whether that be the neighbors dogs and cats or the little boy/girl playing in our back yards. The only other thing I have to say is " Here kitty, Here Kitty"
biggun.gif

I think comparing the situation out west with Iowa is ridiculous. You have much higher numbers of animals and people using the same areas so there's bound to be more contact/conflict. Many new suburban areas, Boulder, CO for example, back right up to mountain lion range so why should people be surprised when the cats strike out.
With all the deer here in Iowa, I personally don't mind sharing a few with the cats. Given their solitary ways and the relatively low numbers of people out and about in the field here, I don't think they'll ever be a problem.
You guys can do whatever you want, but if I ever get the chance to see one, I'll let it walk. Might improve my hunting observation skills knowing they're out there!

Threebeards

I know we can beat this topic to death with both sides of the fence, but it sure does make you stop and think. When I'm walking to my stand in the dark, fully camoflauged, walking quietly as can be......wouldn't you think the mountain lion might assume some of us hunters are a critter, like a deer or something? I agree there were a lot of people in that area of california, but, look at what they were doing. They were biking, talking, not camoflauged! It's only a matter of time before a hunter is made into a breakfast scooby snack. Just my opinion. I don't know if I would shoot one or not. Better be a damn good shot, that is all I can say. I hear they climb trees exceptionally well.
grin.gif

The difference out west is that these animals have literally thousands of square miles of uninhabited wilderness to operate in. In Iowa I can come across a town every 8-12 miles, or a farm house in just about any section, from any border in the state. Population density is not the factor, it's population spread and infiltration of natural habitat that makes our state much more volatile.

Hey Jeff5611 what are you scared of? A little cat(meow meow) haha just wanted to bust you a little. Good luck shed hunting hope to see some pics soon.
30571-green1.gif

Never did like cats much myself. When I was in college in CO a jogger was killed and almost completely eaten by a cougar on a well used trail on a mesa adjacent to town. Conservation is a great idea until somebody gets their face chewed off, and I kinda think somebody in Iowa will get it in the next few years, God forbid. At the expense of sounding like I'm from south of hwy 34, if I see a kitty it's gettin a .270 in the noggin. Better them then one of us.

Baxter...meow meow meow meoBOOM!
rambo.gif

I can already see next year's contest "Rollin in the Kitties"
rambo.gif

I don't know about the rest of you but I like to think I'm the hunter not the hunted. In this state there isn't a forest big enough for myself and a mountain lion. If our paths ever cross somebody is gonna die and it ain't gonna be me.

California is a messed up state just due to the large number of bunny huggers living there. It is all about the cute animal until someone gets chewed up. They should have left the managment of the wildlife up to the professionals rather than the politicians. Maybe this will change thier point of view but it is not likely. (I am making the assumption they still have a ban on harvesting lions)

[ QUOTE ]
I think comparing the situation out west with Iowa is ridiculous. You have much higher numbers of animals and people using the same areas so there's bound to be more contact/conflict. Many new suburban areas, Boulder, CO for example, back right up to mountain lion range so why should people be surprised when the cats strike out.
With all the deer here in Iowa, I personally don't mind sharing a few with the cats. Given their solitary ways and the relatively low numbers of people out and about in the field here, I don't think they'll ever be a problem.
You guys can do whatever you want, but if I ever get the chance to see one, I'll let it walk. Might improve my hunting observation skills knowing they're out there!

Threebeards

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be kidding me. This is a wild animal we're talking about. It isn't going to matter whether it's in California or Iowa....if a human comes in contact with one and it's hungry or feels threatened in ANY WAY, the result will not be good. The law doesn't forbid killing these animals in Iowa and it doesn't consider them a protected class. In other words they are a pest that can be eliminated at your discretion. My discretion is to kill them like any other pest. When the DNR determines them to be "endangered" or "protected", then I'll feel differently but until then I'll leave it to the experts.

....if a human comes in contact with one and it's hungry or feels threatened in ANY WAY, the result will not be good.

So does this mean we should shoot every kind of dog that's big enough to pose a threat to small children. I'd be willing to bet there's a larger number of cases of dog attacks in Iowa every year than there is mountain lion attacks. I think you guys might be blowing this out of proportion a little?
CRITR

If the dog is running loose and comes on my property and appears threatening in any way.....it will be a carcass. That's a fairly ridiculous comparison anyway since dogs are considered domesticated animals. How many people do you know that have mountain lions for pets bub?

[ QUOTE ]
At the expense of sounding like I'm from south of hwy 34, if I see a kitty it's gettin a .270 in the noggin. Better them then one of us.
quote]

Whats wrong with being from south of 34?

How many people to deer kill each year going through car windows. I wonder how many people are affected by lyme disease which deer are a major vector. Lets just get rid of all the deer! The number one cause of species extinction is habitat encroachment. We need to learn to share this world with all of god creatures not just those that benefit us personally.

After reading Chuck Adams book, Life at Full Draw, the mountain Lion was one of the hardest critters to harvest, it took him four different hunts if I remember correctly. If one walks by my stand I will (attempt to) kill it. I feel it would be a great mount to add to the trophy room. Some people pay good money for guided lion hunts out west, if it's legal which it is, take one for free off your Iowa farm. My 2 cents.

[ QUOTE ]
How many people to deer kill each year going through car windows. I wonder how many people are affected by lyme disease which deer are a major vector. Lets just get rid of all the deer! The number one cause of species extinction is habitat encroachment. We need to learn to share this world with all of god creatures not just those that benefit us personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think the quotas on how many deer you can harvest have risen year after year for the past 10 years? I think you answered your own question. In addition to the number of tags you can legally obtain for normal hunting seasons in this state you can hunt in "special" zones and take even more deer where they are particularly thick. Just ask Liv4rut.

This all goes back to my point.....the DNR makes the laws regarding game in this state. The current status of the mountain lion is unprotected. They are proven to be a threat to livestock and human beings. Why would you let one walk away if you had an opportunity to get rid of it. If the population of these animals grows in this state we will have a significant problem. I'm guessing that's why the DNR has deemed it fine to exterminate them.

Mountain Lion are wild animals at the top of the food chain. We are the ultimate preditor at the top of the food chain. But I don't feel we should be so selfish to think there is only room for us. What about the lions in africa should they all be hunted to extinction. Should we get rid of all the bear in Minasota becuse thay pose a threat. I agree that the DNR sould be the people making the laws to protect wildlife and people. I hope in the furture legislation is passed to protect the mountain lion in Iowa. Be fore this state was settled by the masses there were elk,wolfs,bear, bobcats, Prairie Chickens. As the human population begins to grow what other species do we need to eradicate.
If we look at the data i'm sure we would find in California deer account for more deaths than mountain lions. Why not get rid of ALL deer. I get the feeling that no one feels there is room in this state for lions and they should not be protected. Why don't we just open the season on deer. Do they need protection? If so for what reasons. Recreation, Biodiversity, the all mighty dollar and human selfishness.
Lions deserve just as much protection as the deer. Some day I would like to harvest a lion (or have my daughter harvest a lion). But I want to do it when lion are considerd a sustanable resorce in this state.

Does any one see my point of view???
confused.gif

Yes, Tineseeker, I do. That was the point I was trying to make earlier.There's a much higher population of cats out west competing for limited resources in an ever-shrinking habitat (why do you think they're showing up in Iowa). When in such regular close proximity to people and limited natural prey, it's no wonder they grab an occasional jogger or mountain biker.
The number of cats in Iowa has to be extremely small since the few who are seen seemed to get shot. You combine those small numbers with plentiful natural prey, their solitary nature and a natural desire to avoid most contact with humans and the risk is pretty small. I'm not a bunny hugger but it seems silly to kill something that's not posing an imminent threat to me. I think it's cool that an animal that once roamed Iowa is making a return -- even on a small scale.

Living in Ames, I consider anything in Black and Gold a pest ... that give me a license to eliminate 'em?
flame.jpg

[That's for Hawkeye Fan, not you Tineseeker!!!]

Threebeards

Top Bottom