Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Midwest Habitat- 2023 Happenings

All day burn from Sunday in a 6-minute video. Drone footage starts at about 2 min. I'm just learning how to make videos, so the editing is not the greatest! Video is of a 15 acre section of the burn.

This is a field that we are converting from brome to native grasses. The brome was fall sprayed which is the best time to terminate cool season grasses. The fire got rid of a decade worth of thatch so we can have the best success possible on the new planting of natives.

Last edited:
All day burn from Sunday in a 6-minute video. Drone footage starts at about 2 min. I'm just learning how to make videos, so the editing is not the greatest! Video is of a 15 acre section of the burn.

This is a field that we are converting from brome to native grasses. The brome was fall sprayed which is the best time to terminate cool season grasses. The fire got rid of a decade worth of thatch so we can have the best success possible on the new planting of natives.

Great job! Love the video, you'll be a pro!

Rob I cant believe you got all that burnt with out burning up a truck or the neighbors cabin! LOL

Converting about a mile of ditches to switchgrass. The goal is a little bit of screening and pheasant hunting. This was summer mowed and fall sprayed before frost seeding this weekend.

20230318_153349.jpg

Converting about a mile of ditches to switchgrass. The goal is a little bit of screening and pheasant hunting. This was summer mowed and fall sprayed before frost seeding this weekend.

View attachment 124683
Did you need permission from the county to do that? I wouldn't have guessed that to be legal.
Another thought, with ditches being public hunting, is there any concern you might attract bird hunters?

Did you need permission from the county to do that? I wouldn't have guessed that to be legal.
Another thought, with ditches being public hunting, is there any concern you might attract bird hunters?
Never had an issue. Done multiple times. It is undoubtedly better when complete.

Burn every few years and the county doesn't have to maintain trees, etc.

(For the record, you own to the middle of the road)

Last edited:
I’d love to do that in Minnesota, but one of my farms borders a highway. ..The highway department would not allow it. They cut almost every ditch for hay

Gravel township roads might be a different story ?Not sure on that ?

I’d love to do that in Minnesota, but one of my farms borders a highway. ..The highway department would not allow it. They cut almost every ditch for hay

Gravel township roads might be a different story ?Not sure on that ?
Yeah this is in middle of nowhere. 10 cars a day... maybe.

Never had an issue. Done multiple times. It is undoubtedly better when complete.

Burn every few years and the county doesn't have to maintain trees, etc.

(For the record, you own to the middle of the road)
That wouldn’t work up in my area- any tall grass gets mowed off and all utilities have the use of the entire ROW. Heck, even cattails they now have long boom mowers they mow those off too.

Top Bottom