Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Military... considering retiring in IA

Welcome! Nice area.

Thank you. I have heard it’s nice. Surprisingly I haven’t been there...been to all the counties surrounding it but never been to Madison County. Going off my wife’s opinion from her visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted by tremperje
Show…
Welcome to Iowa.
Thanks for your service. Enjoy your retirement. I don't know the hunting around there but Most central to eastern, top to bottom has good hunting. I am in East Central iowa and i have had the opportunity for a 150+ dear every year for the past 10. Just take a bit of time to find the right spots. Good luck

Some good fishing both open and hard water if you need something else to do when hunting season is closed!
Welcome and I also thank you for your service.

• Deleted by daniel93077
Show…
Two seasons since I retired from the Air Force and moved to Iowa. I don't even have pictures of the biggest ones I have seen. No regrets!

I

In WA state, with a lot of hard work... I can virtually guarantee that I will have at least a few 160-200 inch deer to pursue on any given year.
You cannot even guarantee that on the best properties in Iowa, or anywhere. Do you know how rare 200" bucks are?

You cannot even guarantee that on the best properties in Iowa, or anywhere. Do you know how rare 200" bucks are?
He gave a range, he did not specify a 200" every year, yes, true 200" are quite rare. However, his range is very reasonable in my experience. Even in our down years there are at least a couple/few over 160" to consider and in our up years...well, we once had pics/sightings of 9 different bucks that were 155"+, with a couple of those right at, or north of, 190".

Not all of those spent the majority of their time on us, but we wouldn't have their pic(s) if they didn't come on our place some. The biggest "problem" in those times...you start seeing A LOT of broken racks...just too many brutes around for there not to be some breakage going on. :)

FWIW, I know of other neighborhoods that are even stronger than that year in and year out.

He gave a range, he did not specify a 200" every year, yes, true 200" are quite rare. However, his range is very reasonable in my experience. Even in our down years there are at least a couple/few over 160" to consider and in our up years...well, we once had pics/sightings of 9 different bucks that were 155"+, with a couple of those right at, or north of, 190".

Not all of those spent the majority of their time on us, but we wouldn't have their pic(s) if they didn't come on our place some. The biggest "problem" in those times...you start seeing A LOT of broken racks...just too many brutes around for there not to be some breakage going on. :)

FWIW, I know of other neighborhoods that are even stronger than that year in and year out.
I have only been here a couple years but like you mentioned finding a 160+ definitely hasn’t been a problem.

Indiana is the place to be, Iowa is over.
Definitely they're killing a lot of giants. I think the one buck rule make a huge difference and lots of private land. The Iowa numbers as well as some other states are most likely lower due to most hunters don't enter them.

Definitely they're killing a lot of giants. I think the one buck rule make a huge difference and lots of private land. The Iowa numbers as well as some other states are most likely lower due to most hunters don't enter them.
True. ^^ I don't know enough to say what the number really is...but very few of the big boys I know of that have been taken over the last several years are registered anywhere. I would guess maybe only 10%-20% get officially recorded?? Whatever the real number is though...the "stats" are way low to what is actually happening in my experience.

I too think the "one buck rule" could really make a difference here in Iowa FWIW.

Agreed on the 1 buck rule. I think that would make a huge difference for Iowa. But I will also say it will be real interesting to see Indiana's numbers take a big decline in a year or two with riffles being legal. I'm betting the use of riffles and the increase in B&C deer go hand in hand and I would also bet there will be a major drop off after a few years of riffles and a decline in the age structure again.

Top Bottom