Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Millet

Fulldrw

I have been thinking about trying to add a little something to my small plot that i'm going to be putting in this spring that would appeal to turkeys. I don't hunt turkeys but i have been seeing quite a few on my property and was hopping to provide them with soemthing to eat. I am going to plant a clover and chicory mix for the deer this spring, do you think that one pass with the broadcast spreader around the border of the plot planting millet would be appealing to the turkeys? Also can you even broadcast plant millet? Thanks.

Turkeys will benefit greatly just from the clover planting. They need those kind of openings in or near timber to take their broods to feed. Clover provides the flowers that attract insects that the poults feed on. Clover will be just high enough to hide the poults but allow the hen to look for danger.
In early spring the toms will strut in the clover where they can be seen. Clover is a "win win" if near timber. I used to help the NWTF plant such openings in trails and openings created by loggers and it was amazing how much they used the clover.
I think you will find that small birds will strip the millet when it matures. Turkeys are unlikely to use it much until winter and it will be long gone. You can broadcast it easily with a broadcast spreader if you decide to try some.

that Millet would help turkeys but I would think that clover and chicory would attract them, all the bugs that would be there for them to eat would keep them happy!

You can broadcat millet. One of my neighbours tried it out last spring for cattle feed. he broadcast 160 acres of it then harrowed it. It worked just fine.

What about planting sorghum around the outside edge will that benefit the turkeys any? Also can you plant that with a broadcast spreader? Thanks for the replies

smile.gif

How about this Millet?

bren_sweet%20mullet.jpg

I've done sunflowers,sesame, millet, sorghum, and egyptian wheat looking for a really good turkey plot. Sesame and millet never made it past the fall with doves and such. Seems like the turkeys really used the egyptian wheat and sorghum. Corn and beans were good too but deer completely wiped them out.

I know this is an old post, but......

My wife and I were down the hill at Krouls Farm getting sweet corn. They also have bedding plants, flowers, ornamentals, etc etc. My wife saw "Ornamental Millet" and fell in love with it. She reasearched it and found a place that sells it for about a freakin dime a freakin seed. Yup, you read it right, ten cents a seed.

There is a spot about 12'x50' infront (south) of my persimmons that she has her eye on and I'm sure she is gonna wanna plant this dime a seed stuff out there.

I need to talk her out of it. One, because I'm afraid it will shade the persimmons, two, because I think the deer will eat it as soon as it comes up and three, IT'S TEN CENTS A FRAKIN SEED.

Some of you have planted Millet, please tell me its like deer candy and it would be a huge waste of time, effort and MONEY.

On the other hand, its a great lookin plant with neat colors and a seed head that is nice, BUT....

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
Some of you have planted Millet, please tell me its like deer candy and it would be a huge waste of time, effort and MONEY.

The 'Bonker

[/ QUOTE ]

Bonker...you have a house full of cats
you don't like cats...
so
just plant the millet
the deer will most likely eat the millet
and then have your persimmon trees for dessert
grin.gif

I haven't planted millet for years but back when I did the deer didn't bother it.
Nowadays my deer are like goats...they eat everything in sight...
smirk.gif

Let us know if the deer like really expensive colorful millet...
grin.gif

Bonks- So go buy her some "millet seed" (wink, wink), just get the checkbook and write a check for a big number. Use the balance for some man stuff. Once the "millet" grows and the deer eat it off, you can say "well that's about enough of that" and not have to worry about it til next year.

The same neighbour I spoke of earlier in this post seeded 80 acres of millet again this year. In the evenings there is not a single deer in it, they are all across the road either n the alfalfa or field peas.
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The same neighbour I spoke of earlier in this post seeded 80 acres of millet again this year. In the evenings there is not a single deer in it, they are all across the road either n the alfalfa or field peas.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU AIN'T HELPIN.

My momma always said if ya got nuthin good ta say keep yer trap shut.

Crap. Can't fib to her. Looks like I'll be a poor gentelman millett farmer.

I blame it on the cats. Damn things.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
Here you go!

Bonker mix

[/ QUOTE ]

30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif

Just think Bonker...if you would have bought/sold those 'packers, you would have made enough to buy kitty litter and 10 cent a seed millet!!

I like the catnip idea...nothing like watching a "drunk" cat....
grin.gif
The only thing better is watching them getting run over by a truck (did I mention I don't like cats??
smirk.gif
)

Well, at .4 cents/seed, that 4/10s of a cent/seed I could afford to plant it. Only problem is if drunk cats act like drunk humans I'll be up to my neck in fornacating cats. The aim, and I do mean aim, is population control, not expansion.

The other concern is with all of the Mt.Lion sightings last thing I need is a buncha drunk bullies hanging aroung the 'nip plot and beatin up on the local toms. Say, I wonder what a Mt. Lion/barn cat mix would look like? You know what happens at closing time.....

“Meowwow” (Hey babe, come here often?)

“Meowreow” (No, I’m new in town and I heard from the other pussies hangin in the barn that this was a good place for some ‘nip)

“Gurr” (Beat it ya little twerp. She’d rather spend her time with a big guy like me than a scrawny tabby like you.)

“SSSSHHEECHHHHH” ( OK, I’m leaving but I gotta put on show on for the ladies so I’m gonna arch my back, puff up my fur and hiss at ya a couple of times before I run off. Who invited you here anyway?)

“Gurr” (If ya know whats good for ya stay away from this ‘nip plot, I’m now the boss. And by the way, the Iowa DNR invited me. They shot me in the butt out in Montana with some great drugs, put me in a box and paid for my transportation here. Sounds kinda like the WHA doesn’t it?)

“Mmmeeeowww” (You’re so big and strong. Handsome too!)

“Gurr” (I like the way you wear your fur)

“Meeooowwwow” (You say the nicest things)

“Gurr” (Have another snort of ‘nip)

“Meeyowl” ( I really shouldn’t, I’ve snorted quite a bit already and I’m fellin a little lightheaded)

“Gurr” (Ah come on, one more little snort won’t kill ya)

“Meerowl” (OK,{giggle giggle}But I get a little crazy when I’ve nipped too much)

“Gurr” (I’ll make sure you get back to the barn OK)

“MeeHAKHAKHAKHAKgreleck” (I’m so sorry, too much nip and I hak up fur balls, can you take me home I’m all nipped out)

“Gurr” (Sure, but I won’t respect you in the morning)

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
I thought these types were extinct?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cats or millet?

Cats-I wish.

Millet-that would explain the ten cents a freakin seed.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom