Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

mock rub/scrape trees

Wow, this has to be one of the most interesting reads I have found on the interweb in a while!! Wish I would have found this thread/site about 2-3 weeks ago.

Oh, I am new here, neat site by the way. Can't wait for Bow Opener!

I just got back from wyoming bowhunting antelope with my son Colton. Looks like the bucks are really scrapeing now and starting to rub more. Last year the first week of october they began to tear them up. I am going to put in more bigger trees this week by the old ones and in my partially picked cornfields. I bet they hammer the new trees right away.
We'll see.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

These last 2 are the flying deer pics I always like.

picture.php

picture.php

So where's the one you are targeting? :grin:

We all know you have a giant tied up for tomorrow. That old lazy eyed deer needs to die this year :drink2:

Thats a good question. The one-eyed buck my youngest son wants with his youth tag, has not been on the cameras since sept 4th, which is normal for him. He should show up any day. The best bucks I have glassed over the summer are still living in the big crop field areas, so I am just waiting for them to go into their fall pattern,and everyone around me getting the crops out and turning their cattle on the stalks.. I just had a real heavy 5x5 with big bladed forked g-2s move back in and work the trees but all the pictures suck so far. My 16 year old Colton is bowhunting the old buck in the 9th and 10th picture this weekend. He has missed that buck 3 times over the years with his bow, he is pretty sure the buck is a ghost, but he's gonna try anyway. So this weekend I will be going back and forth with the boys sitting behind the camera. My 9 year old Corben is out of school sick today but looks pretty good now, so we are heading to the blind soon.

Well I put in a few new trees and replaced a couple month old ones that had dried out on thursday. They tore into them the first night, even though I must of left a ton of human scent on them as warm as it was. A month ago all they were interested in was playing with the branches, now they are way more serious about rubbing and scent marking. I would suggest putting some fresh green trees in now. They really like the fresh bark and smell. I'm still waiting on the big boys to move back in, but when they do, they should check in at the sign posts to let it be known they are back.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Yeah this year I put most in about a month earlier than usual to see what they would do. With the lack of rain, dry soil and hot weather they dried up pretty quick. Alot of years if the ground is wet enough I have had them start spouting under the rub the next spring. Now that the bucks are rubbing alot more anything put in now will be used the rest of the season.

Lots of activity around the old tree! Nothing big, but always fun to pull that card.

picture.php

Bunch of these critters running around this year.

picture.php

Size comparison for you guys. The first pick is a dink 1 year old and the last 2 pics are of 'Andre'. He is a huge bodied 5 year old that just has never produced much of a rack. Cool picks of him though.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Over the last 10 days the bucks have really started hammering the trees.The new trees I put in 2 weeks ago are really getting hit and some of the ones from early sept are also being used, but not rubbed as much as the fresh ones. Seems location is everything. The ones in the clover, brassicas and corn are getting the most attention.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This is a real old timer that we have been trying get for a few years. A real mean dude, but really showing his age.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This is the buck my son Corben shot last sunday. He showed back up a week ago and was hitting my trees in four different fields, 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart daily.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This tree I put in 2 weeks ago, 150 yards from my house in whats left of the old cattle pens, next to an automatic water tank I keep going for the deer. Most of my small timber waterholes are dry now so alot of deer are watering in the tank, they really like it during the winter. It has been in clover for 3 years and getting a little weedy, so aug. 1st I mowed it to the ground and broadcast turnips, rape and radishes before the only wet period we had. It really grew well in the soil that had cattle in it for 65 years up untill 15 years ago. Now its just a great place to watch deer from the house. Alot of different bucks are useing it at night. The tree is so beat up allready I was going to replace it, but the bucks love it. Corbens buck was comeing in everynight, as well as the old 5x5 Hook buck Colton is bowhunting. Fridays his last football game so he will be able to bowhunt more than once a week now.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sorry If I am getting picture heavy but it was hard enough narrowing it down to these from the last 10 days. As soon as Corben shot his buck on sunday the one eyed buck came back, but is giving me crappy pictures so far. The trees are really helping keep track of whats going on right now. Anyone else having any luck?

You have a truely amazing set up and I am always amazed at the quality and amount of bucks you share on here. I bet come jan. and feb. the deer flock to that waterer, aweswome idea to leave it.

Top Bottom