Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Native Warm Season Grass

Your CRP may be going in or coming out- good video with a few key points i agree with. One being the burning ....

So question to above point re fire.... say you have a native stand thats 6' tall and thick. I think zero chance you can plant into it because that's just SOOO much residue. Better to bail or fire?

So question to above point re fire.... say you have a native stand thats 6' tall and thick. I think zero chance you can plant into it because that's just SOOO much residue. Better to bail or fire?
I don’t think that’s the case with only choosing those 2 choices- IMO. It can be rolled over to mat it down - very much like a thick stand of winter rye. U could disc & cultipack it too..... enough to break it up & get it flat. Good no till cutters or cutters with row cleaners. Or even strip til. Several options. IMO - those are not the only 2 options.
& last “not ideal but would work”.... u could plant beans into standing natives. Spray & spray. The new growth would not get high. The old growth would stand & slowly crumble throughout year,... would act as a mulch. It could smother some seed but not bad. Plant at higher rates.
So bottom line, IMO- I’d rather do mechanical method over losing all that OM & fertility - both of which leave with burn & bale.
IF I had to chose between bale or burn- I’d do burn. Get the soil hotter & leave more fertility than baling would. Easier to kill regrowth on burn IMO as well. Baling better if u wanted to feed cattle the hay.

Few updates. This year I planted this field late & with how dry- it germinated late. It’ll be fine. Showing difference between plateau herbicide vs non-plateau.
also- starting the 2nd grow season on stuff planted last year.

If I’m going to plant natives and or switch next spring, i need to be spraying fescue here say about 3 weeks? Still super hot i know but want to make sure I have good plan when time comes.
TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NUKE IT!!!!!! Mow now if u can. Later- Put the hammer to it….. heavy Gly, ams, oil…. Could add 2,4-d.
Since u have a good bit of cool season growing season left…. If u gonna do switch….. add a bit of atrazine or simazine. If it’s other natives…. At least 2-6 oz of imazapic (plateau, journey, panoramic) per acre.

NUKE IT!!!!!! Mow now if u can. Later- Put the hammer to it….. heavy Gly, ams, oil…. Could add 2,4-d.
Since u have a good bit of cool season growing season left…. If u gonna do switch….. add a bit of atrazine or simazine. If it’s other natives…. At least 2-6 oz of imazapic (plateau, journey, panoramic) per acre.

Had neighbor hay this area couple weeks ago so its clean as a whistle and ready to smoke
Haven’t decided just yet if i’ll do switch or indian/bbs

Few updates. This year I planted this field late & with how dry- it germinated late. It’ll be fine. Showing difference between plateau herbicide vs non-plateau.
also- starting the 2nd grow season on stuff planted last year.

Any update on your second season CRP of natives? Is it head high by sept?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty interesting finding this kind of situation.

This pasture had cows in it for as long as I've known up until 2 or 3 years ago. As such, the grass was always trampled and native vegetation non existent. Upon changing ownership the cows were removed and the land has sat idle. Native grasses can now be seen throughout including Big Bluestem, Little Bluestem, Indian grass, and some variety of switchgrass. If only it were to be burned.... it would explode. Cedars need dealt with as well. Obviously remnant grasses.... super neat to me.

Screenshot_20220314-202620_Gallery.jpg

I sprayed a brome buffer strip with roundup just after the second hard frost of the season this fall. It looks sickly and not doing well. I am renting a native grass drill from the local NRCS office this spring and going to drill in a NWSG mix. Date unknown. I plan to spray with roundup and Plateau around May 1st. Does that sound about right? Plateau at the label rate and gly at 3 qt/acre. Any adjustments you can see?

Top Bottom