Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need your help/opinion.

W

wjs

Hi!

The DNR will be going to a new Electronic Licensing System next year. The new system will be very similar to what Missouri currently uses. With the new system licenses and tags will all be printed on one printer. Because of this all licenses and tags will be printed on sticky backed paper. The quality of the printer is much better and the printing does not rub off or fade like the current thermal printing. The old contract expires after this year and the old equipment will no longer be an option.

Missouri currently uses a 6 inch tag. Our current tag is 8 inches in length. It will cost an extra 4 cents to stay with the 8 inch tag. With the 6 inch tag you would likely have to slit the hock and fold the tag around the Achilles tendon to keep the tag from coming off if you tag it on the leg. Antlered bucks would still need to be tagged on the antlers. I would like your feedback on this decision. It will probably help if you actually cut out a 6 by 3 strip of paper to compare it to the current 8 by 3 inch tag.

One confounding factor is that since all licenses and tags are printed on the same paper stock then people who purchase just a hunting or fishing license will have a license that is a couple of inches longer than needed.

I would like your opinion. Should we go to the smaller tag? Or should we stay with the same size tag and pay the extra 4 cents in cost. This will amount to approximately $56,000 annually if we have about 1.4 million transactions each year as we do now.

I need your response fairly soon. The staff is having a meeting on Friday at 2pm to try to make the final decision. You are the ones who will pay the bill so I want to know your preferences Thanks in advance for your thoughts and discussion!

(ps. I have edited this since the original post to try to make what I am asking more clear)

Re: Need you help/opinion.

I like the idea because they would fit better in a guys wallet.

For size reference it would be the size of a dollar bill (6in X 2.5) so roughly a half inch larger.

I was thinking this year as I was trying to get all of my tags in my wallet it would be nice if they made these things a little smaller. I think it is a good idea.

Smaller works for me as well. I always had plenty of tag to go around leg/antler this year and as you mention, a person could always slit the hock.

Glad to see that you hope to get away from the "fading" tags. I was writing on them with a Sharpie so that I could more easily read what season/county they were for. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

wallet sized tags would definelty be a plus!!

I use to do programming for a local greenhouse. Designed software to let them print their own pot tags that went in the plants and slip on tags that went around trees. Almost like zip ties. The sticky tags are fine.

Works for me.

wjs, I've heard a rumor that the DNR plans to increase antlerless tag cost, could you start a new post and address this if it is true?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wjs, I've heard a rumor that the DNR plans to increase antlerless tag cost, could you start a new post and address this if it is true? </div></div>

maybe they shouldnt raise liscense fees and tag fees if they can save $56,000 on smaller paper....

that would be nice if you ask me

I like the idea of smaller tags.

Don't like the idea of what I am understanding from your post. You say all tags & lic. will be printed on one printer. Are all tag & lic. going to be mailed to us? If so how would this be a cost benefit? Is it all done online? if so what about those w/o internet?
Or am I just mis-understanding you?

I think he means its all the same style of printer..so it would work at all locations to buy tags...

I think waht he means is your hunting license is printed on one pritner at the ELSI and the tags are printed on another. Remember when you get a tag not only do you get the tag but that other licenes that is printed on the green border and imbeded seal papery kinda stuff. So now both will be printed on one printer at the point of sale.

What concerns me is the sticky back. If my licenes that I carry in my wallet year round has a sticky back to it it could cause a mess, where as my tags are in my pack, usually in the cold so I don't worry much about that.

Size does matter, in this case smaller is better.

The 'Bonker

Every state agency is having to cut $$$. This may be a simple start without having to make drastic changes.

Every state agency is having to cut $$$. This may be a simple start without having to make drastic changes.

Just to clarify. The licenses will be available at the same locations and in the same manner. However the equipment will be upgraded/changed. Currently your licenses are printed on tyvek paper which can be torn off at any length. The system that Missouri uses prints all licenses and tags on the same material. This means that every tag or license will either be 6 inches or 8 inches depending upon the decision.

My concerns were that a smaller size tag for deer would not be well received by our hunters since the smaller tag will likely require you to do more work/change the way you tag your deer. So far you are saying that it will not be a problem. I need more feed back on this part of the discussion.

The costs of the licenses will likely be passed directly on to the hunter and anglers as part of your license fee. Currently that is 50 cents. It will likely go up 50 to 75 cents to pay for the new system. I really don’t want to get into the cost discussion too deeply at this time or with this thread. I need your thoughts on the size issue. Thanks for all those that have responded. The more responses I have the easier the decision will be tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> as I was trying to get all of my tags in my wallet </div></div>

You know Limb...if you would let the "moths" outta that wallet, you might have room for tags! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Smaller tags sound good to me Willie! I have been doing the same thing as jnrbronc...writing on them with a felt pen because it's very difficult to see county/antlerless/etc.

I hope that part could be improved.

I suspect any cost savings would only help offset the sharp rise in other costs that just like our households, our DNR must also deal with.

Kudos for looking for reasonable ways to make things better and save a few bucks at the same time /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

No problem with smaller tag.

Size of deer I shoot, will still have plenty of room to wrap around antler or leg. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Tags get much more expensive it will be cheaper to buy a beef and shoot it. More meat in the freezer. Size on tags smallers better.

Any place you can save that kind of money...do it. I think I too would like the size better. Seems like I end up carrying them longer than most people do, so it might really help me out.
lol.gif

Top Bottom