Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New bill SF 2047

Fishbonker

Life Member
I missed this bill's introduction.

http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Cool-ICE/default.asp?Category=billinfo&Service=Billbook&hbill=SF2047

At first read I'm OK with it, but I'm sure there is more here than meets the eye.

There has been a lot of rhetoric over the years about non residents coming home to hunt with family. This bill would go a long way to establish the person wanting to hunt is a past resident and "perhaps" family.

The question that I have is do these three day licenses then enable the licensee to buy OTC deer and turkey tags thereby skirting the NR draw system?

Pheasants, small game, fur bearers and waterfowl OK, OTC deer and turkey, no way. I'd need to see an amendment to the bill outlining the limitations to what they could hunt before I'd be in favor.

I get a daily PDF of bills introduced the day before. Some of these are 400 pages long. This bill was introduced on the 23rd. I missed it. The ICA did not. This is why I belong to several organizations and do my own homework as well. Between everybody watching and doing their own homework, nothing should get in under the radar.

I don't know. Does it include a deer hunting license? Either you're a NR or you are not. Why should being born in Iowa, then leaving, enable someone to skirt the draw? I understand the family thing but this opens a whole new can of worms. Arguably, some NRLO's would have an argument regarding "contribution" to the state via taxes, utilities, etc. that Iowa born NR's would not have. I'm up in the air with it if it includes deer hunting.

Last edited:
I don't know. Does it include a deer hunting license? Either you're a NR or you are not. Why should being born in Iowa, then leaving, enable someone to skirt the draw? I understand the family thing but this opens a whole new can of worms. Arguably, some NRLO's would have an argument regarding "contribution" to the state via taxes, utilities, etc. that Iowa born NR's would not have. I'm up in the air with it if it includes deer hunting.

Why would owning ground here allow someone to skirt the draw?

"Either you're a NR or you are not." Thank you SOOOO much for that!! :D:D

Why would owning ground here allow someone to skirt the draw? "Either you're a NR or you are not." Thank you SOOOO much for that!! :D:D
your are welcome. Point is why should a nr who was born in Iowa, not live there anymore, receive preferential treatment over a nrlo who contributes some? Let's address my entire statement and not paraphrase what's advantageous to you.

I think it is a good bill. If you grow up in Iowa and want to come back to hunt near your home town, or on the family farm, for gosh sake, let them. No state worries about R and NR more than Iowa.

We have nonresidents on our lake association and not one of our members has even thought/crossed our mind that they are outsiders. They are all looked upon as members of our lake association, they contribute to discussion, pay dues, and feel a part of our lake and our state.

your are welcome. Point is why should a nr who was born in Iowa, not live there anymore, receive preferential treatment over a nrlo who contributes some? Let's address my entire statement and not paraphrase what's advantageous to you.

Because I agree with you that its a bad idea. Either you are a NR, or you are not. No preferential treatment, period. That's not advantageous to either of us, but fair.

Love your assumption that the Iowan that has moved away does not contribute in any way. Any chance that some of them come back and help put crops in and take them out on the family farm? Or, are you just making assumptions that are advantageous to you?

Either way, makes no difference. Its a bad idea. We need to remember that you are either a NR, or you are not. So simple and fair. :)

I think it is a good bill. If you grow up in Iowa and want to come back to hunt near your home town, or on the family farm, for gosh sake, let them. No state worries about R and NR more than Iowa.

We have nonresidents on our lake association and not one of our members has even thought/crossed our mind that they are outsiders. They are all looked upon as members of our lake association, they contribute to discussion, pay dues, and feel a part of our lake and our state.

No comparison.

No comparison.

Oh my gosh, here we go again. Fletch, I can state my opinion. I am comparing your state's attitude toward NR (protectionism). Not the entire state, mostly guys on this site, I actually have never met anyone in person while in Iowa that feel the same way as you Fletch.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, here we go again. Fletch, I can state my opinion. I am comparing your state's attitude toward NR (protectionism). Not the entire state, mostly guys on this site, I actually have never met anyone in person while in Iowa that feel the same way as you Fletch.

Protectionism is a great word. Sometimes things are in need of protecting. Our states deer herd is one. I think now more than ever. I doubt you can disagree with that.

I don't know many deer hunters in Iowa that don't see the need to limit or "protect" what we have here.

I was just pointing out that sitting on a lake association really has little or nothing to do with the subject at hand. Just my opinion and I stated it just as you were allowed to state yours. Apples to oranges.

Protectionism is a great word. Sometimes things are in need of protecting. Our states deer herd is one. I think now more than ever. I doubt you can disagree with that.

I don't know many deer hunters in Iowa that don't see the need to limit or "protect" what we have here.

I was just pointing out that sitting on a lake association really has little or nothing to do with the subject at hand. Just my opinion and I stated it just as you were allowed to state yours. Apples to oranges.

Protect yes!! Obsess is what you are doing. Just be reasonable on what is protected and remember that you go out of state and hunt in enemy territory!!

Protect yes!! Obsess is what you are doing. Just be reasonable on what is protected and remember that you go out of state and hunt in enemy territory!!

Hardwood

Just ignore this guy from now on. LITERALLY I know its tough, but we are just giving him what he wants by stooping to his level. Time to rid ourselves of this pest!

Hardwood

Just ignore this guy from now on. LITERALLY I know its tough, but we are just giving him what he wants by stooping to his level. Time to rid ourselves of this pest!

I know, it's so ironic he says...protect this... you can't get tags here that...then he goes and hunts and fishes in other states and takes their game!!

Classic

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I know, it's so ironic he says...protect this... you can't get tags here that...then he goes and hunts and fishes in other states and takes their game!!

Classic

Again, another one that wants to wave the NR martyr flag. Please stop ignoring the fact that I have never once considered NR's to be "enemies". I have and always will welcome them to come hunt Iowa. I understand that there is good reason for them to want to hunt here. Again, as I have said many times and you martyr's continue to ignore, I simply don't feel that NRLO's should be allowed any preferential treatment for tags. It would be detrimental to true resident hunters and farmers. Period.

Again you guys want to "gang-up" and wave the NR oppression flag and try to scream the loudest playing bully. It has become redundant and obvious to anyone here what you are doing. I respectfully ask one last time that you not put words in my mouth like "enemy" or, "you cant get tags here!". Its just childish and erodes any credibility you might otherwise lend to the discussion. They are things I have NEVER said and never will.

I put in to lotteries for tags in other states, but I don't obsess on websites there trying to change the regulations. I just wait until my name is drawn and go enjoy the hunt. Look in the mirror.

I guess I don't really see the point of this bill. If it is just for small game and waterfowl and does not allow a former R to circumvent the draw for a deer tag what's the point? IF they want to offer a short term NR license at a reduced rate why not offer it to every NR? I don't see the point in muddying the water with different classifications of NR.

I guess I don't really see the point of this bill. If it is just for small game and waterfowl and does not allow a former R to circumvent the draw for a deer tag what's the point? IF they want to offer a short term NR license at a reduced rate why not offer it to every NR? I don't see the point in muddying the water with different classifications of NR.

mplane---Good point, while some of us argue on here, we can all look in the regulation book and see that all this is available already. Small game and waterfowl and are available already to NR at a decent price?

The only part I will say is give the guy or gal who grew up in Iowa--- maybe graduated from high school here and then comes home from school or from his job to hunt---let him hunt. I'm not from Iowa, but I would hate it if my original home state (didn't let me hunt or fish) every year.

mplane---Good point, while some of us argue on here, we can all look in the regulation book and see that all this is available already. Small game and waterfowl and are available already to NR at a decent price?

The only part I will say is give the guy or gal who grew up in Iowa--- maybe graduated from high school here and then comes home from school or from his job to hunt---let him hunt. I'm not from Iowa, but I would hate it if my original home state (didn't let me hunt or fish) every year.

It's probably the only reason that I still live here. Its a choice we all can make.

I grew up in MN and moved to Iowa. #1 reason was because of the deer hunting. The ONLY reason Iowa is so good is because it is restricted! Just like private land is usually better than public,and why slot limit lakes have better fishing! I feel for people that grew up and moved away but those are choices they made. They can draw a tag just like the rest of the non residents.

Top Bottom