Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New bill SF 2047

Apples and oranges .

It's always apples and oranges.

I can't bow hunt my farm that I own for 3 or more years, not even for a doe and you can shoot 3 bucks in one year.

Don't give me the limited resource line....good try

It's always apples and oranges.

I can't bow hunt my farm that I own for 3 or more years, not even for a doe and you can shoot 3 bucks in one year.

Don't give me the limited resource line....good try

We know, we have heard many times how unfair it is. Kind of silly to own ground here if you like to hunt. Good investment though.

Pick up a muzzleloader and you can probably hunt more years than not. So, I guess you CAN hunt your farm if you really want to. One of my NRLO buddies drew a muzzy tag several years in a row in one of the toughest draw zones. Killed some nice deer too. So, to argue that you cant hunt your own ground really does not hold water. You can hunt. But, maybe that's just apples to oranges.

No state worries about R and NR more than Iowa.

We have nonresidents on our lake association and not one of our members has even thought/crossed our mind that they are outsiders. They are all looked upon as members of our lake association, they contribute to discussion, pay dues, and feel a part of our lake and our state.

Disagree about Iowa being the only state that worries about it. When I was looking at NM Elk tags and their draw system a NR does not even get preference points for a draw. Odds are very slim of drawing ever. I think a lot of states view it this way in the hunting world.

I grew up in MN and moved to Iowa. #1 reason was because of the deer hunting. The ONLY reason Iowa is so good is because it is restricted! Just like private land is usually better than public,and why slot limit lakes have better fishing! I feel for people that grew up and moved away but those are choices they made. They can draw a tag just like the rest of the non residents.

Excellent Post. I couldn't agree more.
My boy keeps talking about moving to the Minneapolis area for work.
I mentioned to him I will hate not being able to hunt with you every three
years but that is his "CHOICE" with our current law.

deer

Disagree about Iowa being the only state that worries about it. When I was looking at NM Elk tags and their draw system a NR does not even get preference points for a draw. Odds are very slim of drawing ever. I think a lot of states view it this way in the hunting world.

Risto--Respect your opinion as always. Let's compare deer to deer, I get the old "apples to oranges" every time I bring up Minnesota's fishing to deer hunting, a bigger stretch is comparing deer to elk.

Minneapolis

Excellent Post. I couldn't agree more.
My boy keeps talking about moving to the Minneapolis area for work.
I mentioned to him I will hate not being able to hunt with you every three
years but that is his "CHOICE" with our current law.

If they move to Minneapolis, tell them to live in the far edge suburbs. Minneapolis is a great city to go watch a Vikings game/show/event/etc... BUT...

I don't think they will like living inside the metro, unless they like Democrats and major traffic... if they enjoy the outdoors, better off to commute a ways.

And yes, I really don't agree that former Iowa residents are not able to hunt with their family (the exception being the party hunting shotgun cross tag deal). But if you guys are for that, more power to you!!

Let's compare deer to deer, I get the old "apples to oranges" every time I bring up Minnesota's fishing to deer hunting, a bigger stretch is comparing deer to elk.

Not sure I see it that way, as comparing fishing to hunting is a much wider gap that hunting to hunting. Is there a state that limits the NR fisherman or a state where the NR fisherman has to draw?

Not sure I see it that way, as comparing fishing to hunting is a much wider gap that hunting to hunting. Is there a state that limits the NR fisherman or a state where the NR fisherman has to draw?

Alaska.

There are very few elk overall compared to deer.

Alaska.

There are very few elk overall compared to deer.

Good point. There are plenty of deer for most to hunt in their home state. But, if they want an opportunity for something special, like a trophy moose, elk, or deer, they have to wait their turn because its a very limited resource. The idea that there are actually plenty of deer to hunt in almost every state kind of undermines the argument that Iowa needs to loosen its limits on tags. Nearly all hunters can enjoy deer hunting wherever they are.

As very wise man once said, "you are either a NR, or you are NOT a NR." I think that seems to work the best for everyone involved.

Risto--Respect your opinion as always. Let's compare deer to deer, I get the old "apples to oranges" every time I bring up Minnesota's fishing to deer hunting, a bigger stretch is comparing deer to elk.

Hardwood we can agree to disagree here.

I am really looking at hunting to hunting and the way the states use the natural resource for generating money and how it is limited based on the want for someone to do it. Yes there are less Elk than deer but that is what that state has that someone else wants and the residents usually get first crack which I am okay with and NR pay more. (I do not like) but I am okay with.
Like I stated before I have to buy a license in AZ. to even get a chance to draw or a preference point for Elk. Do I like it '"no" but for that one chance to hunt there for their great hunting and with AZHunter I will pay the price. Just my opinion.

If they move to Minneapolis, tell them to live in the far edge suburbs. Minneapolis is a great city to go watch a Vikings game/show/event/etc... BUT...

I don't think they will like living inside the metro, unless they like Democrats and major traffic... if they enjoy the outdoors, better off to commute a ways.

Thank you for the information. If he lands a job there I will let him know.

And yes, I really don't agree that former Iowa residents are not able to hunt with their family (the exception being the party hunting shotgun cross tag deal). But if you guys are for that, more power to you!!

I think it would be a mess to let NR family that used to live here now hunt here. Even though it would be nice he will make that decision to be a NR by moving and all his rights as a Resident would be gone IMO. He would now have his rights in the other state as a resident.
He can't have it both ways IMO.

Hardwood11 I'm having a batch of NRLO T-shirts made up with the O a bull's-eye right over your heart. I'll put you down for one!:)

No, deer and elk are both bovine. Meaning they are in the same family, unlike deer and fish...

Hardwood11 I'm having a batch of NRLO T-shirts made up with the O a bull's-eye right over your heart. I'll put you down for one!:)

Even though not a single person here has said they do not welcome NR hunters, you continue to push this resident vs nonresident battle. Even though it is imaginary. Seriously, why? Why do you continue to do that? Do you even know why or has it just become such a bad habit that you cant stop? Its really tired.

:D
I'll take one

How about a picture of my food plots on the back of the shirt, with a sign donation to Iowa wildlife

:D
I'll take one

How about a picture of my food plots on the back of the shirt, with a sign donation to Iowa wildlife

Look at ME! I'm such a martyr!!

I think you should all get T-shirts that say, "IWS" and stand around in the corner together.

Whose fault is it for you to spend money on ground and food plots and then hold out for bow tags when you could likely get a gun tag and hunt your farm most years? Better get those shirts boys.......just have a big IWS printed on the front and back. It will serve double-duty. Iowa Whitetail Supporter.....AND.....I'm With Stupid. :D

Even though not a single person here has said they do not welcome NR hunters, you continue to push this resident vs nonresident battle. Even though it is imaginary. Seriously, why? Why do you continue to do that? Do you even know why or has it just become such a bad habit that you cant stop? Its really tired.

Just trying to make a little extra $$$$ so I can afford one of them NR licenses!:D:D

Top Bottom