Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Now that necked cartridges are lawful (min .35 - max .5) what will everyone be hunting with this year?

No disrespect intended, but I don't think you're really making any solid arguments against an Iowa hunting using a .30-30.

1. Your first reason is about deer drives being dangerous. If you think deer drives are dangerous (and they're not something I'd ever participate in myself), you should be trying to restrict deer drives themselves, not my ability to hunt with a .30-30.

2. Your second reason is that the deer herd would be degraded because more deer would be killed. More deer are killed with compound bows than traditional bows. So what? If we need to limit the number of tags available for season / method of take, we can do that instead of relying on arbitrary caliber restrictions. My neighbors can now hunt deer in Iowa with a 50 BMG but I can't use a .30-30.

3. Your third point seems to be that Iowa is managed better than other states. Iowa does well, but so do other states. How are do you define and qualify what makes Iowa "managed well" and the other states you named (MO / WI / MN ) not managed well? Number of deer harvested? Trophy quality?

4. Your fourth point is quite a stretch if I am interpreting it the way you intend it. You're saying the .30-30 should be restricted because people will buy up more land to insulate themselves from people who hunt with .30-30s? That's an interesting theory.

5. Your fifth point seems to be a a concern about deer drives and rifle hunting in proximity to residences. Again, this is not an argument for restricting the .30-30. If you think Iowa hunters need more safety education so that they're not shooting at residences, then you should advocate for that. If you think deer drives are inherently dangerous and can never be done safely, advocate for restricting those.

You've yet to list a single compelling reason that an Iowa hunter should not be allowed to harvest a deer during shotgun season with a .30-30.

As for your series of questions, I'll happily answer them but they really don't have anything to do with the topic at hand.

1. I have no problem with rifles in turkey season within ethical caliber range, which for turkeys would be limited to rimfires.

2. If they replaced archery season in Iowa with slingshot season, you'd have the same "4 months, 7 seasons, 7+ weapons categories, 6% timber" -- but you wouldn't have your preferred method of take. But that wouldn't be a problem, right? You'd be just fine with that is what you're saying?

3. What does the access to the land have to do with .30-30s? Or any method of take? The land issue is what it is no matter what you hunt with.

4. How do you define "liberal regulations" or "hurt access"? I'd say the arbitrary, big government regulations restricting average hunters from hunting with their caliber of choice (within the ethical range) are hurtful.
4th point isn’t a stretch at all, the more liberal the laws become the more land will be bought to insulate areas from it. All the farms around mine are owned by deer hunters and every farm that comes up for sale gets bought so to control the hunting. Really no need for rifles anyway, it’s hard enough for a deer to make to maturity with everybody sitting over box blinds and food plots. If you can’t kill deer with the laws that are already in place you suck at hunting and should maybe take up golf or something.

50 BMG's are illegal to use in Iowa...
It is a .510 caliber cartridge
YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!! I just dropped off $10,000 deposit (minimum total of $25k before my decor & artistic art designs on it) this afternoon on a custom made “.50” BMG!!! Ordered my night vision military grade scope for $12,000 - no refunds. Custom ballistic tip handloads. & it’s a .510!?!??? :eek::oops::rolleyes::p
WELL…. What u guys think about pitching in to hire a Lobby group to legalize ALL RIFLES for “Turkey season”?!?! Maybe coon hunting??? Grass carp shooting??? Come on guys…. One heck of a gun & I wanna follow my grand-dad’s legacy & take things down with this .50 BMG!! ;)

I've been waiting for the waterfowling regs to change. I might have to start lobbying so that I can take out Grandpa's Punt Gun
Good call!!! This is my grandpa & great grandpa waterfowl hunting. We’ve never been very good at shooting so we always shot them off the water when they landed.
Since I’m no good with regular shotguns & flying birds- really wish the state would change the regulations so I can follow my family heritage of shooting ducks off the water with huge guns, cannons, etc. Just like grandpa. Also thought it would be neat to rifle them off the water at like 400 yards What a blast!!!
2E55C3E4-0B7E-4456-842C-83CB61D69C03.jpeg

Skipping bullets across the water. Is that where you got your name? ;)
My dad & grandpa both did that so figured I’d follow the heritage & they named me accordingly. I did rifle some geese a few years back & hit a water skiing boat. Little embarrassing but heck of a lot of fun.

I am working up a load for my 375 H&H using 279 grain Hammer bullets. I am excited!
I’ve got my bow pretty dialed in & I feel comfy to 30 yards. I’m excited as well.
The recoil on a .375 h&h is actually not that bad. IMO (probably recoil figures on this) less than my old .300 RUM.
I personally hope my neighbors & the state land by me doesn’t have .375 H&H’s being used for deer season but I guess thanks to the IFC… they are legal now.
Good luck, be safe.
Are you an archery hunter as well or just gun?

I’ve got my bow pretty dialed in & I feel comfy to 30 yards. I’m excited as well.
The recoil on a .375 h&h is actually not that bad. IMO (probably recoil figures on this) less than my old .300 RUM.
I personally hope my neighbors & the state land by me doesn’t have .375 H&H’s being used for deer season but I guess thanks to the IFC… they are legal now.
Good luck, be safe.
Are you an archery hunter as well or just gun?

Yes, I bow hunt as well. I enjoy bow hunting more than rifle hunting. I run a Bowtech that is getting a little long in the tooth but still does the trick.

Hope this wasn't you Arec (or Nathan). So happy you got those rifles added so we can mow down those deer (or brothers, sisters, friends, parents, neighbors, neighbors house,...). But, hey, it is all about the opportunity to shoot more deer.

DNR article in accidents

I am so sorry for those who lost loved ones or have serious injuries. But, I expect more of this now that we have rifles in Iowa.

Hope this wasn't you Arec (or Nathan). So happy you got those rifles added so we can mow down those deer (or brothers, sisters, friends, parents, neighbors, neighbors house,...). But, hey, it is all about the opportunity to shoot more deer.

DNR article in accidents

I am so sorry for those who lost loved ones or have serious injuries. But, I expect more of this now that we have rifles in Iowa.
I dont see anywhere saying rifles in the article? Mentions hit buy a slug? Dont get me wrong im not a big fan of high capacity mags on deer drives . But its the style of hunting and ones doing it not the weapon.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I dont see anywhere saying rifles in the article? Mentions hit buy a slug? Dont get me wrong im not a big fan of high capacity mags on deer drives . But its the style of hunting and ones doing it not the weapon.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Pretty tough to blame rifles on this one. It sucks, but this kind of thing has been going on for a long time. Seems most years somebody gets killed driving deer. We used to do it a long time ago and had a lot of fun, but was just too dangerous. I know a guy from Wisconsin that had his dad bleed out in the truck beside him driving to the hospital. He was hit in the leg from another person in their group. I wish stuff like this never happened, but it happens you often.

Pretty tough to blame rifles on this one. It sucks, but this kind of thing has been going on for a long time. Seems most years somebody gets killed driving deer. We used to do it a long time ago and had a lot of fun, but was just too dangerous. I know a guy from Wisconsin that had his dad bleed out in the truck beside him driving to the hospital. He was hit in the leg from another person in their group. I wish stuff like this never happened, but it happens you often.
Only 1 mentions slugs. That leads me to believe the others were not slugs. I agree it has to do with the style of hunting, but do you really believe this style of hunting isn't more dangerous now that rifles are involved?

Only 1 mentions slugs. That leads me to believe the others were not slugs. I agree it has to do with the style of hunting, but do you really believe this style of hunting isn't more dangerous now that rifles are involved?
I would say the magazine capacities can make it more dangerous. When shooting at running deer they may pay attention to the background on the first couple shots, but after that desperation sets in. When they get desperate to hit the running deer, they get careless. That is when bad things happen. I assume most of these incidents are fairly close range(300 yards or less) unless they are happening further out, I don't think rifle or shotgun makes that big of a difference. Both projectiles do devastating damage. Just look at what they do to a deer.

DNR article in accidents

This has absolutely zero to do with the type of weapon and everything to do with somebody not knowing their target and what's beyond it, plain and simple. It's incredibly frustrating to keep seeing this argument pop up. It's almost as farcical as the "people will now be shooting deer out to a mile", as if guys shooting modern muzzleloaders can't shoot them accurately past 500 yards these days.

This has absolutely zero to do with the type of weapon and everything to do with somebody not knowing their target and what's beyond it, plain and simple. It's incredibly frustrating to keep seeing this argument pop up. It's almost as farcical as the "people will now be shooting deer out to a mile", as if guys shooting modern muzzleloaders can't shoot them accurately past 500 yards these days.

I get the first part about people taking risky shots, but I doubt the long range ML people are shooting at running deer. Apples and oranges, at least in my experience with ML’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the first part about people taking risky shots, but I doubt the long range ML people are shooting at running deer. Apples and oranges, at least in my experience with ML’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I meant as two separate issues when talking about new calibers getting introduced. Some people think it means more people end up getting hurt, while others think everyone is going to get a 375 Cheytac and start pounding bucks from the next county.

Top Bottom