Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Now that necked cartridges are lawful (min .35 - max .5) what will everyone be hunting with this year?

No way will I want to take my kids to the woods when there are deer drives with guys shooting at running deer with rifles.
Taking the kids? I don't want to be out there. I shotgun hunted Shimek State Forest in 1984 and had shotgun slugs hitting limbs above my head. That ended my public ground gun hunting. I can't imagine what it is like with straight wall AR guns now being legal, let alone "necked" cartridges. For those who lobbied for this, enjoy.

I also am a member of the IFC and GOA.

I’m very much against what the IFC does in iowa with lobbying & garbage they throw at Deer Hunters. They stepped way out of their lane. I like 2nd amendment but that group lost a huge segment of hunters with what garbage they pulled on the people.

The slippery slope was the move from shotgun to revolver cartridges to custom straight wall built for rifles to necked and eventually to nearly any center-fire. We are sliding there fast.

My top reasons to not allow center-fire:
Safety
DNR should set method of take to manage the herd, not the legislature
Fair chase

Method of take is not a factor, nor is safety. Someone can recklessly kill with a shotgun slug or .45-70 just as easily as with a .30-30.

Proper management of deer herd is achieved by tuning the following knobs:

1. The number of deer allowed to be harvested.

2. Which deer are allowed to be harvested.

3. Where those deer are allowed to be harvested.

4. When the harvest may occur.

The method the hunter uses to conduct the harvest is irrelevant to herd health.

Reactions: OMB
Method of take is not a factor, nor is safety. Someone can recklessly kill with a shotgun slug or .45-70 just as easily as with a .30-30.

IFC pulled “political garbage” at its finest with that last round of corrupt, special interest, intentionally vague worded garbage legislation.
Having more RIFLES in iowa is not going to help one thing. It’s not going to help: access, balanced deer herd, safety, etc. The dwindling access folks have (partially due to crazy regulations from SPECIAL INTERESTS) will further degrade with these foolish additions we DONT NEED.
More AR’s with more mags on gun drives- tempting further shots or groups with long range rifles (like a .375 h&h) helps no one & inherently creates some more safety issues. Why we haven’t had rifles in iowa until IFC got involved. More running deer, further shots, in parties - on smaller parcels (folks losing access) is definition of foolish.

With a state with 6% timber, 7 deer seasons, 7+ weapon choices & 4 month hunting season - IFC is way out of their lane & went against our state & sportsmen.

IFC is Shameful. No merits to the slimy lobbying they do other than their own self interests & disregard for sportsman. Organization is a shame based on all of this crap they pulled.
sorry im bit repetitive & harsh but im “saying it how it is” or how vast # of hunters feel. Shameful…. Slick dirty politics at its finest!!!!

the SLIME of IFC will be proven when they pull the BS they said they wouldn’t (we know they lied & this will prove it) when pressure comes out to legalize all rifles. Be ready - they don’t care if they lie & cheat & pull this garbage in broad daylight.

*apologize for being overly blunt. & not directed at Arec- directed at IFC & Politicians! I’m pissed. This group has me steaming. & that does not happen often. WE, most hunters & conservative sportsmen, have had it with this crap.

Sportsmen need to organize & fight this. Same type of groups & special interests will use the same playbook to get crossbows during archery. So predictable. Sad sell outs.

we

That’s just not accurate. Simple math

Deer is 300 yards away, dead with rifle. Deer is 150 yards away dead with shotgun

Enclosed blind is 300 yards from the creek, buck sneaks along creek, survives with shotgun, he’s dead with rifle. It matters, I’ve seen it in MN.

Wait wait wait , weren’t half the people on this thread the guys 2-3 years ago saying straight walls were great to get the kid introduced cause 12s and 20 gauges kicked too hard ? And we tried to tell them otherwise ? All the professional box blind hunters need their 8 year old to hold a 160 for Instagram on there 600 acre farm shot from 300 yards away I guess .

You guys worried about them getting shot 300 yards away from the blind , you ever turn on VHF radio on in western Iowa during shotgun season on ? Full fledge coyote hunting deer . The AR variants will like the new cartridges - spray and pray .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
we

That’s just not accurate. Simple math

Deer is 300 yards away, dead with rifle. Deer is 150 yards away dead with shotgun

Enclosed blind is 300 yards from the creek, buck sneaks along creek, survives with shotgun, he’s dead with rifle. It matters, I’ve seen it in MN.

In your scenario, why are we issuing tags that shouldn’t be filled?

Arec… so you are saying “I am a meat hunter” Thats all that matters?

I’m past the spike buck stage, looking for something big. Buck survival/age quality would be less in rifle zones. That’s been obvious for many years.

Not all fisherman want a 7 inch sunfish either, that is why some go after Musky or Big Pike?

A
Arec… so you are saying “I am a meat hunter” Thats all that matters?

I’m past the spike buck stage, looking for something big. Buck survival/age quality would be less in rifle zones. That’s been obvious for many years.

Not all fisherman want a 7 inch sunfish either, that is why some go after Musky or Big Pike?

Not at all. While filling the freezer is certainly a major part of my hunting, I appreciate the allure of a magnificent trophy buck as much as anyone.

If we want to increase the age and quality of the trophies, we can easily do that by tuning the aforementioned knobs —

In your scenario, why are we issuing tags that shouldn’t be filled?

Because when they issue the number of tags they factor in hunter success. Introducing a method of take with increased effectiveness will cause an increased harvest that will then be entered back into the equation. Can you guess what that does? Takes away the availability of tags because Hunter success increases. As hunter success increases, hunter opportunity decreases. It’s simple wildlife management.

Wait wait wait , weren’t half the people on this thread the guys 2-3 years ago saying straight walls were great to get the kid introduced cause 12s and 20 gauges kicked too hard ? And we tried to tell them otherwise ? All the professional box blind hunters need their 8 year old to hold a 160 for Instagram on there 600 acre farm shot from 300 yards away I guess .

You guys worried about them getting shot 300 yards away from the blind , you ever turn on VHF radio on in western Iowa during shotgun season on ? Full fledge coyote hunting deer . The AR variants will like the new cartridges - spray and pray .

Pretty sure most the guys were against straight walls even for youth as they knew this would happen.

I think you potentially are just trolling, but I'll play along.

Safety is certainly a factor. Guns that shoot twice as far have more chance of hitting something they were not intended to hit. I'm thinking if you were to stand 500 yards away you would not be too worried about a 12 gauge slug getting to you. But, I'd think you might be a little worried about a 300 Win Mag. I would not feel safe in either case, but I'd certainly feel much less safe with the 300 Win Mag pointed in my direction.

Your other quote on safety was "Someone can recklessly kill with a shotgun slug or .45-70 just as easily as with a .30-30." Of course it can be done with any weapon (even a .22), but it gets more likely to happen as you increase the distance the bullet can travel. Not to mention having those bullets in a weapon capably of firing 10, 20, or even 30 rounds at a running deer. Sorry, I'm sure this isn't your style of hunting. But, we have restrictions in our world because of those who are careless or are idiots, not those who are already careful.

CW covered the management of the deer herd well. You are missing point #5 in your list which as CW said is efficiency and effectiveness of the weapon.

Your other question was "In your scenario, why are we issuing tags that shouldn’t be filled?".

Seriously? Money and hunting opportunity. From the DNR perspective is is far better to sell 300 tags with less efficient weapons to kill 100 deer than to sell 100 tags with a highly efficient weapon to kill 100 deer. 3 times the money to the DNR and 3 times the opportunity for hunters. There are almost no free range places in the US where the issuing entity expects all sold tags to be filled.

Have a good day, but you have done nothing to change my mind on 1) safety 2) DNR using method of take to manage the herd and 3) fair chase

Why is it that all lobbying is for easier and more successful options to hunt deer (crossbow/HP rifle)? Why don’t I see atlatl or spear season legislation being introduced? These options would expand hunting options and recruit a new segment of hunters. Also, they would increase the challenge, not diminish it. No money there? Everyone looking for instant gratification and success?

I guess you get X number of tags, use a rocket launcher if that is what trips your trigger (and is legal).

Pretty sure most the guys were against straight walls even for youth as they knew this would happen.

Probably , but there were a few I remember arguing most cartridges were the same kinetic energy and trajectory with less recoil that would be good for noobs.

Because when they issue the number of tags they factor in hunter success. Introducing a method of take with increased effectiveness will cause an increased harvest that will then be entered back into the equation. Can you guess what that does? Takes away the availability of tags because Hunter success increases. As hunter success increases, hunter opportunity decreases. It’s simple wildlife management.

Problem solved! Let's double the number of tags issued but restrict hunters to using only slingshots and no other methods of take.

There's nothing wrong with reducing the number of tags available if hunter success increases, or if the total number of hunters increases and thus more deer are harvested than anticipated, or if the deer herd population suffers from natural reasons.

Are you primarily a bowhunter?

I for one am 100pct pro gun so don't take the wrong way but I do not believe any more than 5 rds in mag. Should be allowed for deer hunting. I know I'll get shit for this statement but I have seen the 20 round or more 450 bushmasters and am very surprised more accidents have not happened yet.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I for one am 100pct pro gun so don't take the wrong way but I do not believe any more than 5 rds in mag. Should be allowed for deer hunting. I know I'll get shit for this statement but I have seen the 20 round or more 450 bushmasters and am very surprised more accidents have not happened yet.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Uh…the max mag capacity for a 450 Bushmaster mag is actually how many rounds ?…
Please somebody give this guy the correct answer.
I think you’re a pro centerfire troll, bruh.

Top Bottom