Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR party hunting to be eliminated

They'll rethink it. Probably start hunting heated blinds during late ML season over corn. I wonder what would cause more damage, late ML in heated blinds over corn or party hunting with the residents?

A lot of them were already hunting heated blinds over corn during shotgun. The last few years the weather during shotgun has been better set up for those corn hunts than LM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Party hunting is such a hot topic on this site. I personally hope residents never lose the opportunity to participate in it in the state of Iowa. It's a ton of fun, and enjoyment is why I hunt in the first place. Not saying archery and muzzy aren't fun, but they're solo, and most of my hobbies are already solo. It's nice to have the comradery of hunting as a party, at least for a couple of days per year.

I'd be super pissed off if I were a NRLO who enjoyed party hunting in IA.

I didn't realize it was always illegal for a NR to party hunt in IA, and that this is just clarification on an existing rule. 30+ years of party hunting, and I've NEVER heard this. We've even had tags and licenses checked with NR hunters in our party in the past, and absolutely zero has been mentioned about it. So, I'm not swallowing this just yet. Not without officially seeing it in writing.

I heard 2 rumors yesterday from high ups..

DNR has now had to review with attorneys (mentioned the DNR round table video) that’s bad evidence for them !

More tags are gonna be offset the long wait .

# Don’t shoot the messenger this is not my idea/thoughts. Just what I heard. It’s from a top credible source.
I’m seeing a giant can of worms being opened as we speak for sure!

There is something every off season that gets someone's panties in a bunch. Hopefully the ones that are not happy with what will be changed contacts the five committee panel members that went over these rule changes in January and puts as much effort with them as they have complaining on this site. By the way, this not going to be the only rule change that will affect Iowa deer hunting.

• Deleted by Windlooker
  • Reason: Fuck off
Show…
I will extend an offer to NRLOs now though. Since you can’t use the party hunt loophole anymore if you ever need deer killed I’d be more than willing to help out.

I’d prefer turkeys but you can still draw those tags every year.

I will extend an offer to NRLOs now though. Since you can’t use the party hunt loophole anymore if you ever need deer killed I’d be more than willing to help out.

Very generous of you Curtis! Very Generous.....

I am all for it. There is a reason the last few years doe tags were selling out in hours rather than weeks. My friend that is a NR but does not post here and has a sizable piece is all for it.
What?? There were multiple thousands of unsold NR doe tags last year

Reactions: OMB

IMG_5181.gif

• Deleted by Windlooker
  • Reason: Who cates
Show…
I guess I will throw one more thing in here. Everyone keeps saying can’t hunt, or can’t with a group.

Nothing about deer drives and group hunting is being banned. You just have to tag your deer with your tag only. You can still come and hunt and can still participate in any hunt you have a tag for, you just can’t shoot grandpas deer who hasn’t hunted in 15yrs. 48 states operate this way sounds like.

Tough shit if a 180” buck walks buy you and you only have a doe tag it is a part of hunting. Definitely have filled my buck tag only to be back in the woods hunting does and have a giant walk in.

There is something every off season that gets someone's panties in a bunch. Hopefully the ones that are not happy with what will be changed contacts the five committee panel members that went over these rule changes in January and puts as much effort with them as they have complaining on this site. By the way, this not going to be the only rule change that will affect Iowa deer hunting.
Is something else coming yet this year?

Maybe they'll let you sit in their heated blind and even give you some corn to use since NR seem to do this all the time?

Working on the farm- often times in my own head to think… I clearly stew on issues all day every day. ;).
1) a few on here who are passionate about the issue have called me. I’d extend that to any person with serious feelings on here. Open dialogue & discussion…. Great on here & heck, I’d extend that to anyone- call me. I’ll listen to any POV & try and advance. Better than seeing good men go over the lines fighting about a minor thing in life….
2) this is a minor thing in life. Even For game laws & regs…. This isn’t a “nuclear change”. It’s like when they added straight walls OR added a whole rifle season at end of year… personally was really upset. But I knew it wasn’t a crippling reg like: full on rifles, crossbows thrown in archery, open flood gates to tags, moving the gun season. Those are nuclear changes we cannot allow that will ruin this state.
3) I will totally admit- my mind goes here…. “You mad about something? Ok, speak up and then do something constructive & positive about it”. Maybe it’s SHOWING to dnr meetings. Maybe it’s going to the capitol. writing emails. Joining XYZ organization. Discussing with decision makers & folks who can influence decisions. Educating public on XYZ issue. The one thing I think is unproductive is getting pissed off & taking it out on others. Complain- OK, fine… & then get to work on whatever it is to put words/emotions into ACTIONS.

Non res weren't shooting many does bud..
I believe the DATA on NR’s filling their doe tags was ROUGHLY…. 1 doe shot for 9 bucks shot. Around 10%. This is the data the DNR has for when NR’s get the buck tag with a doe tag I believe. I remember legislators asking that ? when Farm Bureau raised the issue. That was the DNR’s response. I’m in the ballpark.
^^^^this isn’t an OPINION issue …. This is just the data or stats on issue.

Non res weren't shooting many does bud

It wasn’t my comment, it was dnrs concern during the Drury round table video posted earlier. Ask them….

Last edited:
I believe the DATA on NR’s filling their doe tags was ROUGHLY…. 1 doe shot for 9 bucks shot. Around 10%. This is the data the DNR has for when NR’s get the buck tag with a doe tag I believe. I remember legislators asking that ? when Farm Bureau raised the issue. That was the DNR’s response. I’m in the ballpark.
^^^^this isn’t an OPINION issue …. This is just the data or stats on issue.
If other NR’s are like me, they may have about 5 days to hunt in Iowa, and show up wanting to harvest a buck. They may spend a day getting a deer processed, or at least ready to transport home, There is little time to hunt a doe, despite their good intentions.
I figured out it’s a good idea to allow trusted resident friends to harvest a couple of does on my property each year.

In speaking with a few NR landowners, they will adjust . It will be more friends and family applying for tags . Staggered out.

They will add another friend to the mix with buck & doe tag. More long term planning.

There will be some that skip it too . I do see land values dropping a bit as the new demand will slow down in certain zones.

Top Bottom