Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ozonics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the DNR has better things to do than check your pack for your "ozone machine". I wouldn't use it but who cares. I think the poll on the other thread say the same. Most don't care and the legals are out numbering the illegals. If this is illegal I think range finder should be also. A range finder gives the hunter a huge advantage by knowing distance to target. I would say that device is aiding the harvest, but they're legal? I don't know.

A range finder doesn't artificially eliminate a deers best defense system! The range finder has absolutely nothing to do with the deer getting in range of your shot.
If you eliminate the deers sense of smell, you might as well shoot them behind a high fence. Not much difference.

picture.php

I feel like I'm in the Highlander.........................

I am pretty impressed that we can have a debate with 325 replies.This doesnt happen on to many sites, without things getting crazy.Only 2 more months till season!

I am pretty impressed that we can have a debate with 325 replies.

I too was thinking that if nothing else this topic at least has spurred some good discussion. That seems to have been lacking, Heck, only 4 or 5 people showed trail cam pics of their largest deer on trail cam. At least this topic has people not being so secretive.

ThinkinRut, one can argue the same thing about ozonics. I am sure there are deer that get nervous when they get a whiff of human scent, get ready to bolt, the hunter sees the opportunity waning and takes a bad shot or the deer moves when the shot is taken. We've all seen it a hundred times. Ozonics, if it works, therefore prevents the wounding of deer. I don't endorse this thing but it can be argued and spun positively.

You cant argue fair chase in my mind.. with a rangefinder, you have to set it off to the side when you get ready to shoot..the deer can take more steps, wander around, do whatever it wants.. Thats why it is illegal to have it mounted on the bow, because then you always have that advantage. Plus, you have to make the shot... Either way, again as stated, the machine from the stance of the DNR, is that it is illegal.. and asked earlier, who are they to decide whats legal and whats not.. Well pretty sure they are the DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES. enough said in my mind!

Ozonics, if it works, therefore prevents the wounding of deer. I don't endorse this thing but it can be argued and spun positively.

How is that positive? You want people to think hunters need an ozone machine to ethically kill an animal? Might as well dig our grave before you "spin" that one.

I'm going to give try one this fall and so is a buddy I work with. Not the $300 model you put in the tree but the Log6 sells for only $70. I can hook it up to my rubbermaid container each day after hunting. I wasted a lot more money of spray products over the years.

How is that positive? You want people to think hunters need an ozone machine to ethically kill an animal? Might as well dig our grave before you "spin" that one.
THOSE PEOPLE think there are no ways to ethically kill an animal. The only people concerned with ethically killing animals are hunters.

ThinkinRut, one can argue the same thing about ozonics. I am sure there are deer that get nervous when they get a whiff of human scent, get ready to bolt, the hunter sees the opportunity waning and takes a bad shot or the deer moves when the shot is taken. We've all seen it a hundred times. Ozonics, if it works, therefore prevents the wounding of deer. I don't endorse this thing but it can be argued and spun positively.
As stated in an earlier post, soon the smell of ozone will become a warning sign for them. Possibly, the people who buy Ozonics may even buy your positive spin.

I emailed the iowa dnr also and here was there response.

Joe; your question is concerning legality of the use of the product by “Ozonics.” This item is a remote battery-operated scent dispersal system designed to facilitate attraction of deer to the hunter. By Iowa regulations this product is illegal to use when deer hunting in Iowa. Our department considers this to be a “device” which by the wording in Iowa Administrative rule chapter 571-106.7(6) (deer) is not legal to use while deer hunting.

This falls into the category of “what will they think of next.”

Steve Dermand

Ozone is a deer attractant?????? I see them running tward lighting strikes all the time;)

Last edited:
i think it says to facilitate attraction of deer to the hunter.To make it easier to get the deer closer to the hunter is what i get from this.

That's a stretch. When did they do their study?

It says its designed to that.What would the study be for.They didnt say it worked.Just call them,and let me know what they say.I just wanted to know so when my buddy comes and hunts with me again he leaves his ozonics at home.

It is not a 'scent dispersal system' meant to attract deer??? Rather a scent elimination system. This DNR guy must be mis-informed. Maybe he would change his mind if he new it did not attract deer. I guess it is how you spin the question to the DNR to get the answer you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom