Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ozonics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think when they say scent dispersal, they are considering it cover scent... Which still in turn, is illegal since it is remote battery operated..

Iowa_Buckeye said:
It is not a 'scent dispersal system' meant to attract deer??? Rather a scent elimination system. This DNR guy must be mis-informed. Maybe he would change his mind if he new it did not attract deer. I guess it is how you spin the question to the DNR to get the answer you want.

Email sent to the dnr stating this

That's a stretch. When did they do their study?

They don't need to study it...remember we have all kinds of video and testimonials from the expert hunters using them saying that mature deer walk straight down wind and never even know your there. I guess that was enough proof to the DNR to say that it is a device that gives the hunter an unfair advantage=ILLEGAL.

jclaws posted - "I think it says to facilitate attraction of deer to the hunter. To make it easier to get the deer closer to the hunter is what I get from this."

That is how I interpret it as well.

flugge posted - "who are they to decide whats legal and whats not.. Well pretty sure they are the DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES. enough said in my mind!"

Exactly.

What some are ignoring is that this is not a new regulation. This has been on the books as long as I can remember and I have been bowhunting in Iowa for almost 30 years. Those who bought one or had one given to them to use should have called the DNR and asked if they are legal. They are not under the current regulations. If you can get enough support to get the regulation changed where you can use devices like this have at it. Otherwise, they are ILLEGAL and if you take a deer using one that is poaching/taking of deer by illegal methods and you will be charged and labeled as such. The DNR is not making more regulations rather just enforcing what is already in place.

If battery powered red-dot scopes are legal, than anyone could easily argue Ozonics is legal. The posted regs don't say anything about 'projection of light' so I don't know how everyone seems to agree with that argument so easily. I would say it is legal until the DNR specifically PUTS IN THE REGS that it is illegal. Until then, no one should be considered a law breaker/poacher if they use them. And if it is the case, then I guess they'll just have to power if off of gas like Thermacell!

A question for some - what if a spray or clothing did 100% conceal your scent. Would you use it? ANYONE who has ever used a spray or carbon clothes was hoping it would cover completely and would be a hypocrite if they are now downing this device based on defeating the sense of smell.

The arguument that sense of smell is their greatest sense and should not be overcome is an odd one too. I guess we should all just throw out our camo, wear bright orange noisy clothing and stand out in the middle of an opening so it can be more fair chase, since the senses of sight and hearing are so non-critical for them?

Hunters are always trying to improve their odds of success, nothing wrong with that in my opinion!

I like the coment of "What will they think of next" like we should not come up with new ways to hunt.

I think most that against it are afraid someone will shoot a big deer that YOU think they don't deserve.

It is not a 'scent dispersal system' meant to attract deer??? Rather a scent elimination system. This DNR guy must be mis-informed. Maybe he would change his mind if he new it did not attract deer. I guess it is how you spin the question to the DNR to get the answer you want.

Just so you know,my question to him was.It is an electronic devise used to try to eliminate human odor.Im pretty sure that he already knows what it is.

WOW!! How can I throw gas on the fire? We are all so different in so many ways. One says this post is way too long----the next truly enjoys all the controversy and thinks the long post is great. One says they are just deer----the next one makes a living at killing deer and hopefully "big" deer. One states some really good questions to be answered----the next one crucifies him for it. One writes articles for magazines----the next one wants to write articles so is jealous. One says this is my last post on this subject----then continues to post several more times. Deer hunting huh? I used to coach high school basketball and when the game was tight and people going crazy I would lean over to my Asst and say "It's just a game" in sarcasim. Well, deer hunting is possibly the coolest hobby out there for a lot of people. As some said and I respect this statement. Are you treating the deer fair? We all need to look into the mirror and answer that question. It is 2011 so guidelines are in place for us to abide by. Gotta love America don't ya?

I like the coment of "What will they think of next" like we should not come up with new ways to hunt.

I think most that against it are afraid someone will shoot a big deer that YOU think they don't deserve.

I hope you are not refering to me because im not against it at all.I have hunted with one.And I could care less who shoots any deer out there.But look at it this way,If the guy who hunts the property next to you shoots the buck you are after by illegal means,is that ok with you? Todd already has the world record turkey.I hope he kills the world record deer.That will not affect the way i hunt one bit.Todd puts the time and effort into hunting that is needed to kill big deer.He has a passion for hunting that is way above most.But what do you think would happen if he would have shot the new world record deer last year using ozonics.Let me know what the dnr officer says.Its a pretty simple question of is it illegal or not.

If battery powered red-dot scopes are legal, than anyone could easily argue Ozonics is legal. The posted regs don't say anything about 'projection of light' so I don't know how everyone seems to agree with that argument so easily. I would say it is legal until the DNR specifically PUTS IN THE REGS that it is illegal. Until then, no one should be considered a law breaker/poacher if they use them. And if it is the case, then I guess they'll just have to power if off of gas like Thermacell!

A question for some - what if a spray or clothing did 100% conceal your scent. Would you use it? ANYONE who has ever used a spray or carbon clothes was hoping it would cover completely and would be a hypocrite if they are now downing this device based on defeating the sense of smell.

The arguument that sense of smell is their greatest sense and should not be overcome is an odd one too. I guess we should all just throw out our camo, wear bright orange noisy clothing and stand out in the middle of an opening so it can be more fair chase, since the senses of sight and hearing are so non-critical for them?

Hunters are always trying to improve their odds of success, nothing wrong with that in my opinion!

What?!!!! Are you a lawyer or did you just stay in a Holiday Inn Express? It's so nice to see so many law abiding members here.:mad:

It works for many every year. A bit of experience would tell you that the eyes and ears are easy to fool.
Keep drinking the kool aid boys, it's going down the drain.:mad:

Bill- if you are referring to me about saying I was done posting, and still am.. Well some of it resides with common sense, or lack there of out of some.. but the main thing is, all the PM's I get stating way to stick up for something you believe in.. Sorry, I guess when the dust settles, at least I know what I stood for :way: and I mean no disrespect with that, just so ya know

jclaws said:
I hope you are not refering to me because im not against it at all.I have hunted with one.And I could care less who shoots any deer out there.

No im not

But look at it this way,If the guy who hunts the property next to you shoots the buck you are after by illegal means,is that ok with you?

Im sure rifles have killed more big deer in Iowa than ozone.

Have you ever read the cover of the Iowa DNR hunting regulations?

"This booklet is not a complete set of hunting laws. It contains rules and regulations most likely needed for hunting in Iowa. However, it is not a complete list of all hunting regluations nor is it a legal document. For more information, visit
www.iowadnr.gov or contact the DNR Central Office in Des Moines at 515-281-5918."

"Laser Sights are Prohibited. You cannot use laser sights that cast a ray of light on the animal while hunting."​

Page 13, 2010-2011 regs

Last edited:
Take a new look

Three things to consider.
1. There is a health issue with ozone. Check the EPA. Maybe not for you but for someone. Suppose someone fell a sleep in a blind and it wasn't properly vented . There are certain health problems that can be in danger from ozone. Are they willing to take that risk ?

2. You are now creating something by a mechanical device
i.e. from their advertising "creates Ozone"
"sends ozone downwind"

3. Claims that aren't supportable unless you have to suspend logic.
"eliminates 100% from a ground blind" (Remember Scentloks claim)
"70% from a tree stand"
You and I both know that there are so many conditions that are going to happen that these claims are unrealistic.

We are just trying to hard to find a way to make hunting easy. Lets get back to the basics and use a level playing field so that everyone has pretty much the same opportunities. Lets not try and convince new young hunters that if they are going sucessful they need all these devices and products to get their deer.

iowaqdm - where do the regs specifically say Ozonics is illegal? You can't just go by the battery thing as there are obvisoulsy battery devices which are. Do the regs say non-projecting red dots are legal (I hope they do)? If not, have the users of them called the DNR to ask?

BTW, I could care less about this whole Ozonics thing as I have trouble finding the motivation sometimes to shower before the hunt, let alone carrying a bunch more stuff in to set up.

I just can't figure why with the 'grey' DNR regs that so many are so quick to assume folks are lawbreakers if they use them. I also don't care about the calls the folks are making to the local COs. Ask a sample of them about red dots and you'll get mixed answers too. Same goes with distance from mineral sites, etc.

Maybe this could be the next Drury round-table!!! : )

iowaqdm - where do the regs specifically say Ozonics is illegal? You can't just go by the battery thing as there are obvisoulsy battery devices which are. Do the regs say non-projecting red dots are legal (I hope they do)? If not, have the users of them called the DNR to ask?

BTW, I could care less about this whole Ozonics thing as I have trouble finding the motivation sometimes to shower before the hunt, let alone carrying a bunch more stuff in to set up.

I just can't figure why with the 'grey' DNR regs that so many are so quick to assume folks are lawbreakers if they use them. I also don't care about the calls the folks are making to the local COs. Ask a sample of them about red dots and you'll get mixed answers too. Same goes with distance from mineral sites, etc.

Maybe this could be the next Drury round-table!!! : )

I don't believe the DNR ever lists a specific product being illegal ie. they say artificial light not Q-Beam spotlights. Can you imagine how big the regulation booklet would be if they were to list specific products. Also Ozonics is a new product and if this publicity keeps up you probably will see the regs on electronics re-written.

I think for the most part these guys calling/emailing CO's just want to find out if it's legal or not. They're not trying to lynch WKP. I also don't think anyone specifically calling anyone a poacher.

I don't believe the DNR ever lists a specific product being illegal ie. they say artificial light not Q-Beam spotlights. Can you imagine how big the regulation booklet would be if they were to list specific products. Also Ozonics is a new product and if this publicity keeps up you probably will see the regs on electronics re-written.

I think for the most part these guys calling/emailing CO's just want to find out if it's legal or not. They're not trying to lynch WKP. I also don't think anyone specifically calling anyone a poacher.

Iowa_Buckeye-They wont list specific products as jjohnson posted.

I'm not trying to call anyone specifically a poacher. What I was saying was after numerous people have called their CO and all the CO's that were asked say under the current regulations they are ILLEGAL. If someone still thinks it's a "grey" area then good luck. Once your caught you will be fined and labeled a poacher.

What you need to think about is does the electronic device give the hunter an advantage over the non-electronic counterpart. There were range finders 20+ years ago that you looked through and would give you the distance based on lines spaced in the objective, no batteries needed. Does a red dot scope give you any advantage over a regular scope? I would argue that they are less accurate in my experience than a regular scope. As far as seeing the dot in low light conditions maybe a little advantage but I have never had a scope that wouldn't do the job during legal shooting times. Would an electronic wind detector give you an advantage over a powder wind checker when it comes to harvesting the deer? I would argue that powder or milkweed silk would give you a better indication of wind drift and thermals than the electronic wind detector that remained in your hand. Would an electronic deer decoy that you could push a button to flick its tail, turn its head to look at the incoming buck or lay its ears back upon pushing a button give you an advantage over a plastic decoy? I say yes. Would an electronic call placed under your electronic decoy that would grunt and snort wheeze upon pushing a button and used recorded deer vocalizations give you an advantage over a mouth call your using 20 yards away from that decoy? I say yes.

So the million dollar question: Would an electronic device that released a gas...that created a chemical reaction...that eliminated your human odor...that ran continuously above your head give you an advantage over taking a bath, washing with odor reducing soap then driving to your hunting location, walking in to your stand, sweating and then spraying down with odor reducing spray once in the stand? The CO's all say that this electronic device does without a doubt! Therefore they all agree-ILLEGAL.

Last edited:
I just want to know what camo patterns this new (gizzmo) comes in for the trophy pictures? Also will it be appropriate to set it in the front and center in the pics; or over the back of the deer along with my bow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom