Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ozonics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iowa_Buckeye-They wont list specific products as jjohnson posted.

I'm not trying to call anyone specifically a poacher. What I was saying was after numerous people have called their CO and all the CO's that were asked say under the current regulations they are ILLEGAL. If someone still thinks it's a "grey" area then good luck. Once your caught you will be fined and labeled a poacher.

What you need to think about is does the electronic device give the hunter an advantage over the non-electronic counterpart. There were range finders 20+ years ago that you looked through and would give you the distance based on lines spaced in the objective, no batteries needed. Does a red dot scope give you any advantage over a regular scope? I would argue that they are less accurate in my experience than a regular scope. As far as seeing the dot in low light conditions maybe a little advantage but I have never had a scope that wouldn't do the job during legal shooting times. Would an electronic wind detector give you an advantage over a powder wind checker when it comes to harvesting the deer? I would argue that powder or milkweed silk would give you a better indication of wind drift and thermals than the electronic wind detector that remained in your hand. Would an electronic deer decoy that you could push a button to flick its tail, turn its head to look at the incoming buck or lay its ears back upon pushing a button give you an advantage over a plastic decoy? I say yes. Would an electronic call placed under your electronic decoy that would grunt and snort wheeze upon pushing a button and used recorded deer vocalizations give you an advantage over a mouth call your using 20 yards away from that decoy? I say yes.

So the million dollar question: Would an electronic device that released a gas...that created a chemical reaction...that eliminated your human odor...that ran continuously above your head give you an advantage over taking a bath, washing with odor reducing soap then driving to your hunting location, walking in to your stand, sweating and then spraying down with odor reducing spray once in the stand? The CO's all say that this electronic device does without a doubt! Therefore they all agree-ILLEGAL.

Best post I have seen in this rediculous thread yet.... (Dang thread is like a train wreck, I just can't help but watch it.)

Tried to stay out of this one, but here is a simplistic approach to the situation.

This whole argument about legality boils down to interpretation. What am I getting at you are probably asking........ Well, Our conservation officers are left every day to make their own judgements on things in the field. They have the regulations that they use as a guide, but many things that aren't specifically outlined in that guide are left up to them to form their own interpretation of the law and how they will enforce it. Whenever something is left up to an individual to "judge" there is going to be personal opinions or feelings involved. This is where the scary part comes in. Just look at all of the different opinions on this thread alone. I did my research before I posted this and called 2 different CO's from 2 different counties and explained to them exactly what Ozonics does and can be used for. In short, one said legal the other said illegal. These are of coursed based on their interpretation of the laws in Iowa.

I am not going to bash on others hunting methods or take the mentality of the water boys mom and say that all new gadgets are the devil. Do I think you need Ozonics to kill deer....absolutely not. Am I going to buy one.....no. Does it effect me one way or the other if Todd uses one......no. Are they illegal in Iowa.........that is based on each individual CO's interpretation of the laws. And as long as that is the case, we are going to be in for a lot of this same bullshit, non important arguing that has been going on for 35 pages now. I guess I just don't understand why some of you guys are pushing this so far? Is it really that big of a deal? If you called your CO and he told YOU that it was illegal than leave it at that. If Todd calls the CO in his area and he says its legal than leave it alone. When it comes down to it, it isn't going to make one bit of difference at all whether someone uses this thing or not. I think alot of you guys are forgetting that there are a ton of other variables that come into play in sealing the deal on a whitetail. Some of you act like if you put a Ozonics in your tree that it means a guaranteed Booner. To all of you that have your panties in a bunch over this, I will buy you a Ozonics machine this year and you tell me if the 5 1/2 yr old bucks come flocking to your stand. Focus on the important aspects of hunting not this dumb sh!t :way:

Last edited:
Ruling will go beyond Iowa ?

When I talked with the Iowa CO he wondered if other states had really taken a look at Ozonics or had it slipped under the radar. In talking to two other states they were unaware of the product and indicated they should take a look at it both from a health concern and how it relates to their regulations. They both have regulations written but not published that are more extensive like those in Iowa. Hunter's should police themselves as what they figure is acceptable and where the line should be drawn. When you have to change the air that animals can breathe and smell it just might be too much ? Bottom line is that the worms maybe escaping from the can. Its time to get back to a one on one challenge.

Hunter's should police themselves as what they figure is acceptable and where the line should be drawn.

HA fricken HA Good luck with that one. If that was the case you would have a bunch of rogues doing whatever and whenever "they" felt acceptable. There are regulations and laws in place for a good reason. This is just a relatively new product and concept to the hunting world that each state will have to make a decision on. Not that big of a deal really.

If I remember correctly.......... Didn't Todd eat his tags last year? Yeah these things must definitely guarantee success. Give me a break guys.

I will buy you a Ozonics machine this year and you tell me if the 5 1/2 yr old bucks come flocking to your stand.
With my luck, you would buy me the machine, the deer would come a flocking, i'd kill a monster and get fined $10,000 and the DNR would have my deer displayed at the fair.

With my luck, you would buy me the machine, the deer would come a flocking, i'd kill a monster and get fined $10,000 and the DNR would have my deer displayed at the fair.

Haha, yeah maybe I should rescind that statement! I don't want to be a accessory to a crime if these things are found to be illegal. :grin:

dedgeez, I'm guessing you are going to receive a sh*tload of bunched up underwear in the near future. What is your address so I can send you mine? I can for sure sweat up a pair today and get them sent. I would like the deluxe model of ozonics please. How many per address?:D:D:moon:

dedgeez, I'm guessing you are going to receive a sh*tload of bunched up underwear in the near future. What is your address so I can send you mine? I can for sure sweat up a pair today and get them sent. I would like the deluxe model of ozonics please. How many per address?:D:D:moon:
TR your stank a$$ might need a couple of units running :moon: I don't want to see any of your stained up whitey tighties! I doubt UPS would deliver them anyway, prolly burn a hole in the box :D

I knew you would have a comment on that one!

So I guess that means you won't honor your offer. Just as well, I go commando all summer anyway.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Don't mean to keep bringing this subject back up, but was curious about the machine myself after reading some of the responses that people got asking their CO's. I asked ours, and his words were, "if the machine is an electronic device, and emitts an oder to cover up human scent, then it is illegal." I told him I'm not sure that, that is what the machine does specifically, but from what I gathered, it kind of does in a sense.

Sorry to bring it back up, just thought some of you would like to know another CO's point of view.

Here is the email I got about ozone machines.

Josh; the questions posed to our department have described the “ozone” machine as a deer attractant device..in other words auto/remotely dispersing deer scent/attractant into the air to attract deer to the hunter. This type of use is contrary to our deer hunting regulations.

I think they need to do some checking or studies because I dont think ozone is a deer scent/attractant..... but that is what is said in my email and still got this responce.

There are 3 types of scent control approaches to mask human odor that I am aware of. Attractants (doe scent), cove scents (dirt wafers, etc), and odor eliminators/neutralizers (non-scent soap). I would say this falls in as a eliminator, or possibly cover scent. I would definately not say ozonics it is not marketed as an 'attractant'.

The Million Dollar question....... WHO CARES ANYMORE? This post has went on too long, and to many people see no problem with it..Which I get that that...but yet again, I see the other side of the fight too... Again, I will admit, I am against it, and have been told by 20 plus officers it would be illegal...I still have yet to have one tell me its 100 percent legal...so I know where I sit... and obviously, people will sit on that fence until eithers either legal or illegal..but I for one will not risk it if its still on that fence...

After following this thread from the beggining and reading some very good responses I have come to the conclusion that to me shooting a deer with one of these things strapped to your tree would be like getting in a fight with Mike Tyson and winning but his hands were tied or beating Tiger Woods in a game of golf but he played with his eyes covered. To me that wouldn't be much to brag about yes you won but not on an even playing field

After following this thread from the beggining and reading some very good responses I have come to the conclusion that to me shooting a deer with one of these things strapped to your tree would be like getting in a fight with Mike Tyson and winning but his hands were tied or beating Tiger Woods in a game of golf but he played with his eyes covered. To me that wouldn't be much to brag about yes you won but not on an even playing field

:way::way::way:

bloodhoundhandler said:

I respect your feelings about it and choice

Do you feel other shouldn't be able to make that choice themselves?

There some current deer hunting practices that are legal and I feel give the hunter an unfair advantage. I am not going to try and convince everyone they are not right or unfair or judge the people that use them. Nor am I going to contact officials to give my opinion or try to get the laws changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom