Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Party Hunting

OK let me clarify hawkeyebucker.If I know that.I meant if your tag is filled you can still hunt and shoot more deer.If you whole groups tags are filled you can also find another group to hunt with and shoot their deer too.

So what's the problem? The tags have to be available, and people must be willing to tag your deer. :confused: People who burn up tags in a group with out permission usually do not get invited to hunt with said group again.

So what's the problem? The tags have to be available, and people must be willing to tag your deer. :confused: People who burn up tags in a group with out permission usually do not get invited to hunt with said group again.

Bingo! The main point being, the tags have to be available. If these deer are legally tagged, so what?

One thing this subject shows,,is that many Game "LAWS", are rooted in TRADITION, in each state, more than founded on morals or ethics. What kind of weapons are allowed,,food sources,types of hunting. They have the appearance of ehtics,but these can be changed. $$$$ is uaually the reason they change.

I am so glad Party Hunting is illegal in ND!!!

And it goes for not only deer hunting, but small game and waterfowl hunting as well.

God bless ND for not allowing party hunting!!!:grin:

You don't have to have someone else's tag "on your person",you can hunt in shot gun season without a tag in your pocket PERIOD as long as someone else you are hunting with has a tag.And you can also transport a deer out out of state that is tagged with someone else's tag.In my opinion I think that should be illegal.But it never will be because then the ones that don't draw a tag won't spend the money on a doe tag to come here.Its all about money.If the state didn't make millions off party hunting they wouldn't allow it.

that's a hugely flawed argument in the money sense. If it was all about money, wouldn't the Iowa DNR just increase the NR quota, or just abolish it all together? they'd make a lot more money doing that than selling doe tags.

Once again, arguments like this degenerate into misguided anti-Non Resident arguments like they always do, a la, South Park's "they took our jobs!" Has party hunting hurt any of you personally, caused a loss of hunting land to non-residents, or affected you in any manner negatively? i'm going to guess no for 99.9% of you; therefore, whats the big deal? You're just crying big crocodile tears over nothing

Honestly, with out party hunting do you think there would be fewer bucks killed or fewer does? I will absolutely guarantee that there are far more "party hunting" tags put on does than bucks, and that with out party hunting our harvest numbers would fall much lower. How many shot gun hunters have never shot a doe or button and put a different person's tag on it so they could save their buck tag? :thrwrck:

There are definately some valid points from both sides as well as negatives to both.

#2 - Ethics! When I see groups of 20+ hunters (and as many as 50+) in one group with every angle covered, vehicles staggered along the roads to block the deer, walking on county roads firing into the woods at deer leaving piles of casings on the road, chasing deer with pickups, and considering every piece of ground accessable to them because they are who they are, this is wrong! The worst part is that of these 20-50 hunters their are young kids being taught that this is how we hunt.

Please understand not all non-resident hunters fall under catagory #1 nor does every party fall into catagory #2. As usual it's a few bad eggs that ruin it for everyone.

I would seriously pay money to see #2. 50+ guys driving deer, chasing them in trucks, shooting off the road? Where do you hunt? That's absolutely absurd to even make a statement like that; if that does happen, it could only be once or twice, you make it seem like its commonplace! Easily the most idiotic thing I've read all day.

In all seriousness, I didn't draw a bow tag this year so i bought a doe tag for this weekend. we have some family in iowa we own land with and also hunt with a couple old boys that neighbor us. Roughly 18 guys in the group this year, 11 or 12 buck tags, those of us that didn't draw have doe tags. We'll only shoot perhaps 5 bucks and if you have to tag a buck for someone, it's understood. If we couldnt hunt like that every year, we'd say screw it and not do our part and shoot the does. we had a resident we hunt with buy a bunch of extra doe tags because we're certainly not paying through the nose to shoot the does that need to be shot. Party hunting gives an opportunity for families to get together from all over, hunt together, have a few beers, etc. It in no way is harming anyone elses hunting experience, unless you're an anti-social a-hole i guess?

This thread should have ended after Trowser44's post. Rtw4lc asked a simple question and Trowser answered it. End of discussion!

My biggest issue with the whole thing is that out of staters can come in buy a doe tag, and shoot a buck and got home with it without anything wrong with that....that is my biggest issue with the whole party hunting. If you have a doe tag that is what you should be allowed to be shooting....so you didn't get a any sex tag and that monster runs by you...so what do don't shoot it, shoot a doe like you tag says and be done with it.

Exactly...take go home to your state with the deer that has your tag on it.
But its just a way the people that don't draw an any-sex tag can still take home a big buck.
Why do they even have a draw for buck tags.Or why would anyone even try to draw a buck tag if they thought there was a good chance of taking a buck even if they only have an antlerless tag?

You lads need to stop stressing yourselves over this. If you just look at the numbers they are so small that it really makes no difference. For example there are only 6000 NR any sex tags issued and 35% of those are bow tags and I believe that 10% are late ML tags. That leaves only 3300 any sex tags for shotgun seasons. In 2007 they issued a total of 8000 NR licenses for shotgun season. At least 3300 of those were already buck tags, do now we are down to 4700 antler less tags and with a success ratio of less than 40 percent that means that only 1880 of those killed a deer and if even half of those tagged bucks by party hunting that only about 950 bucks of any kind were killed and tagged this way. Not much when compared to the total harvest of 52,134 antlered bucks. It might not be the best system but we have been getting along with it since we started allowing NR hunters in about 1988, I think, and our deer have only gotten better. We should be more concerned about the over harvesting of does issue in my opinion.:way:

Has party hunting hurt any of you personally, caused a loss of hunting land to non-residents, or affected you in any manner negatively? i'm going to guess no for 99.9% of you; therefore, whats the big deal? You're just crying big crocodile tears over nothing

I also don't think it's right that NR's can come shoot bucks because of the party hunting rule if they didn't draw an any sex tag. It's bu!!$hit :mad: I'm not "anti-NR", I'm more like "protect our resource". It's not about "us", it's about the state. We have the best deer hunting in the world. It's a valuable resource that we want to protect.

If we have the "worst state ever", as your avatar suggests, then don't come here!!

I think party hunting does have it's place. It is rich in tradition and can be done ethically. Some groups just take it a little too far for my taste and the regulations behind it leave too many loopholes. Just my opinion. Good luck in the coming weekends to those of you who are participating.

I also don't think it's right that NR's can come shoot bucks because of the party hunting rule if they didn't draw an any sex tag. It's bu!!$hit :mad: I'm not "anti-NR", I'm more like "protect our resource". It's not about "us", it's about the state. We have the best deer hunting in the world. It's a valuable resource that we want to protect.

I think party hunting does have it's place. It is rich in tradition and can be done ethically. Some groups just take it a little too far for my taste and the regulations behind it leave too many loopholes. Just my opinion. Good luck in the coming weekends to those of you who are participating.

You weren't really raised on the party hunting tradition so I can see what youre saying here Danny. The problem is that youre all over the board with your argument. You say "party hunting" does have a place. Meaning you support the only rule that makes party hunting what it is, "tag swapping." Just because guys hunt in a group (such as pheasant hunters) does not make it party hunting. Party hunting is only deemed that through regulation terms as the swapping of tags to fill their limit. This cannot be done with pheasants, quail, small game, etc. as far as I know. But then you say you hate it when a non resident does it which is kind of just saying, I HATE NON RESIDENTS.. Which you are entitled your opinion but let me ask you this, "If youre uncle came over from arkansas and said heyyy bud I got dis here doe tag this year lets go deer huntin in ur old ranger pikup truk. If we see a big buk and i am the onlee one thatt cun shoot it, r u okayy with that little buddy?? I am the one who showedd u how to huntt and spitt the tobacca by the wayy.."

Are you going to tell him no?? I doubt it you hillbilly bass turds.

I have personally hated it in the past but after late muzzleloader season last year I realized it doesn't really matter. I hunt some ground that gets shotgun hunted and some that doesn't. After it was all said and done there was an equal amount of deer numbers on every farm it seemed.

There will always be deer out there if we can control the poaching and the absolute raping of the resource we will always be able to find one we would wrap our tag around.

Guilty.... guilty as charged on every legal account on all 6 pages. I party hunt, sometimes over 30 of us, an army of orange. I bought 20 antlerless tags and I only shot a few while the 11 NR friends that drew misc tags filled the rest. I pushed 17 sections of ground for 2 weekends and the full week in between. I lost almost 20lbs and gutted 90% of the deer killed. I have pictures of a wall of deer and a line of smiling happy outdoorsmen. I personally helped load those deer into trucks headed for Vermont. I gladly signed documents donating them my deer and I helped load all of the bucks we shot last year... all 6 of over 60 deer. I am guilty of having too much fun, feeling too good about it and wanting to do it again. Sorry I love the time spent with friends, family and deer.
Unfortunately there was no drinking, road shooting, chasing deer, trespassing, arguing or ignoring neighboring landowners, leaving small deer, shooting of road signs, crash up derbys, biting heads off of bats or sacrificing small farm animals to false idols as some have suggested.
You do it your way and I will do it mine. I am happy for you and don't really care what you think about me... it doesn't matter. I have no antler envy... the real reason some don't want bucks leaving the state in someone else's truck... I harvest what makes me happy and try to help others receive that same blessing.
Good luck to you guys this fall, gun season is only days away. Please be safe, we will be! PS if you want some of me I will be the guy in the orange vest!!!! LOL

Could be worse, 75% of hunters here just drive grid roads and bail out and bomb away. I hate it but it won't stop I don't think. It's a carried on tradition from when SK was all rural pretty much and everyone knew everyone. Traditions, whether we like them or not, will never die.
Any Can. resident who wants to buy a tag can.

I would seriously pay money to see #2. 50+ guys driving deer, chasing them in trucks, shooting off the road? Where do you hunt? That's absolutely absurd to even make a statement like that; if that does happen, it could only be once or twice, you make it seem like its commonplace! Easily the most idiotic thing I've read all day.

I welcome you to come with me to witness this, and bring your wallet. I put up with it for 3 years. I spoke with the local CO and he is aware of this and will watch it best he can.

I will be staying home this weekend because I cannot watch this unethical nonsense anymore.

If I didn't witness this year after year I wouldn't believe it either.

Top Bottom