Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Popcans, the 8.5 year old is back

-A 7.5 YO is a Professional, he has seen it all and most likely began his own famliy tree that has forked numerous times... not so much into the dating thing anymore, really doesnt pay very much attention, but if the opportunity comes along to endulge in a romantic encounter, he may! He has seen it all by now

A 7.5 year old buck tells the ladies,"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once...as I ever was. :D

I had a buck kinda like that on a jasper county farm. Not quite as long a history, and I only ever saw him while hunting. No pics, no sheds. But he got super old and i finally got my chance...and i just couldn't do it. Wait til that happens to you!!! Awesome story man.

His survival really is a true testament to how crappy a hunter you truly are.

I spit water all over my keyboard on that... :p

AWESOME AWESOME STORY.

So, you should be really considering exactly what does this buck do for Oct, Nov, Dec? Where does he go, and are YOU the reason? Is it possible he moves to a less pressured area, like the farm next door? I cant believe that you cant catch him at a scrape if he was there.
Just my thoughts on it.

That is a great story and buck!! I have never been in those shoes before but if he walked by me it might be hard to let an arrow fly out of respect. I doubt it though :) I would love to know how many times in that buck's lifetime he has busted a hunter. Goodluck!!!

Great story of a true ghost buck! Did you ever find any more sheds off of him?
No, I have never found any other sheds off of him, which has led me to believe that he's wintering somewhere else. Just haven't figured out where that is yet :confused:

If you do not have any pics of him after October 20th on any season then he is either finding ladies somewhere else in another core area or going underground. He may move out then until late season and return...no one else in the area has any trail cam pics of him during the rut??

No, not that I am aware of, and I am very good friends with the landowners in my area (we share our pics, encounters, etc.) That's not to say that he hasn't found a sanctuary that nobody is messing with and living in it. If so, I need to figure out where this is. I have an idea, and we'll see if its right when October rolls around. Got permission this evening to hunt a new piece. Hopefully this is where he's going once the rut gets near. As for the ladies part....does a buck this old even worry about breeding anymore, or is it like an old man who would rather hang out, eat, and sleep?

So, you should be really considering exactly what does this buck do for Oct, Nov, Dec? Where does he go, and are YOU the reason? Is it possible he moves to a less pressured area, like the farm next door? I cant believe that you cant catch him at a scrape if he was there.
Just my thoughts on it.

Obviously I can't say 100% if i'm the reason that this guy moves out. I don't think so. He is 'used' to my running cameras in this area all summer. To be honest with you I am there more in the summer months then the fall. I have other areas I bowhunt early season, and really don't touch my good spots until the hunting is getting good. I'll throw a camera up on a scrape, and the only time it gets checked is if I'm walking to or from a stand, so it may go without being checked for two or three plus weeks. I think he just moves to another area....where he feels comfortable and has lived his whole life during those months. I don't think I have anything to do with it, but then again I could be wrong. As for the scrapes....I throw cams up on scrapes along this farm and other farms close pretty much all in the same day (and check them going to and from stand). He doesn't hit them in this area, so obviously, he's moved. Here is the only pic I have gotten of him on a scrape in 2007 when he was 6.5 years old.
0011-1.jpg

That is a great story and buck!! I have never been in those shoes before but if he walked by me it might be hard to let an arrow fly out of respect. I doubt it though :) I would love to know how many times in that buck's lifetime he has busted a hunter. Goodluck!!!
I could pull the trigger, and it would for sure be a bittersweet moment. I could handle putting a great shot on him, if I made a poor shot though I would be sick to my stomach for the entire season. I dont' even want to know how many times he's busted me, but I bet it's more than I would guess.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I'll keep you all up to date on the story of Popcans throughout the season. Maybe i'll figure out where he's hanging out after the velvet comes off. If its not on the farm that I got permission to hunt tonight then I really have no idea where this guy is going too. I think i'm moving in on his 'hangout' though. Stay tuned :way:

Great story...that is pretty cool. Look at the sunken hips on that ol' fella. That is a great read - thanks for sharing.

As far as whether he is killable or not - Like Winke always says - he probably has a different fall range that is far off his summer range...it happens all the time. If you're not in his core area where he lives in the fall, there isn't a chance. But you just never know during the rut!!

Thanks again for sharing.

Man, what a deer, what a story. I would love to someday be able to know a deer and have the history with one like you do with popcans. Awesome story and thanks for sharing!

I would love to have access to some property that would even allow deer to get to that age. He is a great deer and those flyers are awesome. I'd have to agree with a few others with the fact of him having a different fall range, and probably winter too since you haven't found many sheds from him. Probably the only way to get him now would be to put on a bunch of drives during shotguns

That's what Ilove to see and read. You basically have stated every reason in one wayor another as to why I love hunting individual deer so much. I wish people that didn't hunt or respect it could see how much admiration and respect so many of us have for our quarry.

I truly wish you the best of luck in bringing him home where he cam be admired forever by the one who admires him most.

I won't hold my breath, b/c at that age, he just could be one of those ones that maybe just are "unkillable" by a hunter.

Good luck and thanks for adding this excitement to the site, good stuff.

Here are a few better videos of popcans. Do any of you know what the sex drive is like for a whitetail of this age? I couldn't find anything on the net that was talking about it. Does an 8.5 year old have a sex drive that will put him on his feet during daylight hours during primetime in November? I'm sure it all depends on the deer, but I didn't know if there were any studies anyone has read or personal experiences you've had that would help me better understand. THA4, I really liked what you posted above. Kind of puts things into perspective and makes it really easy to understand how whitetails will change from year to year.

Do any of you know what the sex drive is like for a whitetail of this age?

I've read that some older bucks will not participate in the rut. Maybe they get tired of all of the drama: fighting other bucks and chasing does until they are near starvation.

I've read that some older bucks will not participate in the rut. Maybe they get tired of all of the drama: fighting other bucks and chasing does until they are near starvation.

Ive read or heard simialer things, for deer usually past the 5.5mark. I have also heard the deer 4.5+ do the majority of breeding when does cycle after the rut.

That is the most history that I have ever heard of on one buck. Harvesting him at this point would be far better than when he was younger and much larger in rack size. Good luck wih him this year, there probably won't be many more years left to chase him around.:confused:

Awesome story, thanks for sharing!

re

I've always liked the pictures of Popcans...now with the details = AMAZING!!!

I have nothing to offer except the best of luck because I've never had a history with a deer, let alone 6-7 years.

I hope you find a way to write the final chapter of Popcans...and I like your attitude concerning it all, especially the "stay tuned" part. Even with his rack's decline you're still motivated to pursue him.

I can bet one thing, it would be a an outpouring of emotion if you're able to actually put one through the boiler room on him.

A legend in all aspects...what a buck, what a story. I will be "staying tuned"

Sweet set of pictures. A harvest picture would cap that series off nicely. Good luck chasing him and thanks for sharing.

Kratz

Top Bottom