Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Private Property Invasion

SlickWilly89

I have read in the DNR regulations that if a person is to setup a treestand on public land that it is first come first serve basis. I don't understand what the DNR is trying to prevent here. I don't get why MY TREESTAND, which is my property, can be used when i bought it with MY MONEY. Does this rule rub anyone wrong like it does me? So acording to the DNR if you setup your tent on public land than that means i can come use your tent and eat your food if you leave. . . I am writing my congressmen, DNR, and the governor. What does everyone think?

It doesn't bother me much but I guess when I hang stands I never leave a way for someone to get into them. I always take my sticks with me. It is kind of crappy deal. I would make sure to have my name etched in all stands. If someone was sitting in it when I got there that would be the day I would decide to pull the stand.

That's why they call it public land. When I hunt public land I use a climber and prepare the tree ahead of time and use GPS to locate the tree.

I don't think it's a bad law. It's my opinion that the law was not made to urge people to use others' stands, but rather to prevent stands from being placed and left all season long. This kind of rule takes away the ability to "stake claim" on a certain location. I know someone else could put a stand in a tree right next to yours, but then there would be complaints about not having a buffer zone of some sort. My advice is either get permission on private land or invest some money in a good quick stand setup (hang-on stand and climbing sticks) that you can put up and take down immediately before and after you are done with each hunt. No one can hunt out of your stand when it is laying in the back of your truck.

I have read in the DNR regulations that if a person is to setup a treestand on public land that it is first come first serve basis. I don't understand what the DNR is trying to prevent here. I don't get why MY TREESTAND, which is my property, can be used when i bought it with MY MONEY. Does this rule rub anyone wrong like it does me? So acording to the DNR if you setup your tent on public land than that means i can come use your tent and eat your food if you leave. . . I am writing my congressmen, DNR, and the governor. What does everyone think?

Slick, it sounds to me like you should put your stand on YOUR LAND and then you wouldn't have a problem. I believe the DNR is trying prevent people from placing stands in areas so as to reserve them and essentially "block" others from accessing public lands.

I think you are wrong and your comparison is way off base. The law should either be the way it is or you should have to take your stand in and out every hunt, like a duck boat on a public marsh. Which is what I would recommend anyway.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
The regulations also read you can put your stand out 7 days prior to season opening & leave it til 7 days after season ends if i'm not mistaken.I leave mine out & have had someone sitting in it when i went to hunt but i walked by it & went to another location instead of trying to kick them out.It does not happen that often to me though.
Tree Stands​
You may not construct a permanent tree stand on
state public hunting areas. You may not drive or in
any other way place any nail, spike, pin, or any other
metal object into a tree on state public hunting areas
to construct a blind or to provide hunting access to a
location above the ground.
Tree stands may be left on a state public hunting
area from 7 days prior to the start of a deer season​
until 7 days after the final day of that season.

Last edited:
I think you are wrong and your comparison is way off base. The law should either be the way it is or you should have to take your stand in and out every hunt, like a duck boat on a public marsh. Which is what I would recommend anyway.

:drink1:

I prefer the take your stand with you rule myself!

I guess the way I look at it is that YOUR stand that you bought with YOUR MONEY is being hung on OUR state property that EVERYONE has equal access to, therefore it becomes property of the state while it is there. That is precisely why I don't bother hanging stands on state property unless I am using my climber of course. So i guess I don't have a problem with the rule.........just my 2 cents.

I thinks its just fine also. I have multiple stand up on public ground and would hate to have to take them down every night. If some one was in one of my stands i would just go to the next one, but that has never happened. But its the same way with a duck blind so i don't see the big deal.

no different than building a brush blind in a marsh for duck hunting if someone else is in it when you get there, I guess you should of been a little sooner public ground is what it is public, its more of a respect thing than any

Maybe its just me and the way I was raised and brought up hunting, but you would NEVER catch me sitting in or using someone else things on public land. To me thats white trash and something dirtbags who steal stands trail cameras and leave trash throughout the timber. I understand its PUBLIC and thus anything left on the land is public but there comes a time and place that the line gets drawn and you have to either have hunter edicate or not. Not going to lie, if I was to hunt public, do all the work of scouting, setting up stands, and came into one of my spots and you were sitting in my stand. Regardless of it being legal or not, I would probably allow you to come down then I would proceed to have my way with you and if you were lucky you'd walk out with you bow. Its sicking to the extreme that people go to kill deer.

Booner, sounds like you must be a fighter huh...not your first post I have read that implies that.... :drink2:

Booner, sounds like you must be a fighter huh...not your first post I have read that implies that.... :drink2:

HAHA, and this is the exact reason this site has gone to the dumps :drink1:. Flugge you must be the type of D that is using other dudes stands huh? Your an idiot!

First of all slickwilly, the dnr regs book says NOTHING about someone else being able to use YOUR stand. Secondly, on black Friday morning if you set up your camp chair outside of Bass Pro (waiting for it to open) and then walked away, ANYBODY could come and sit in it, its YOUR chair, but, its in a location that it is available to the PUBLIC, if you didn't like someone sitting in YOUR chair then it is YOUR responsibility to make it so they can't sit in it. Now, personally i wouldn't sit in YOUR chair, or hunt in YOUR stand. I just don't think that that is right, but each to there own...

But on a brighter note, its only 60 days till opener!! :way:

I also would not use another hunters stand and would prefer not to even hunt in a area that someone else had hung a stand in. However, if I knew one guy had a bunch of stands hung around one piece of public land he would likely find me sitting in a near by tree one morning.

Actually Booner, I dont hunt anyones stands, but thanks for implying when I simply asked a question. I have 27 treestands, all on private ground. I have no need or desire to hunt anyones stands but my own. Besides, when filming, I always have to have 2 stands, so takes a lot more prep work... I simply asked a question, and you are the D bag that took it out of contex..thanks for that! Have a great day

Booner said:
Maybe its just me and the way I was raised and brought up hunting, but you would NEVER catch me sitting in or using someone else things on public land. To me thats white trash and something dirtbags who steal stands trail cameras and leave trash throughout the timber. I understand its PUBLIC and thus anything left on the land is public but there comes a time and place that the line gets drawn and you have to either have hunter edicate or not. Not going to lie, if I was to hunt public, do all the work of scouting, setting up stands, and came into one of my spots and you were sitting in my stand. Regardless of it being legal or not, I would probably allow you to come down then I would proceed to have my way with you and if you were lucky you'd walk out with you bow. Its sicking to the extreme that people go to kill deer.
Man i hope some one would sit in your stand lmao. Because when some one doesn't break the law u go and do it by fighting some one good job buddy.

My thoughts exactly papajess, and then he would get it for harassment of hunting :way:

Top Bottom