Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Propane shortage

I live in WI and we're on natural gas, direct connect. We just got a call from the gas company last night that they had a pipeline explosion in Canada and are asking everyone to turn their thermostats to 60 to conserve gas.....nice. This should make our prices go up....

Everybody in my neighborhood gives me a hard time for cutting wood all spring. I watch the propane truck keep stopping at their houses and I just look at the wood pile and grin. Furnace hasn't ran all year and she likes it warm so I keep it right at 80 all the time with the wood burner. I feel sorry for the people paying for heat!

at 1.50/gallon it far outweighs the trouble of getting wood together for the winter. These prices are just stupid though

You mean you dont bust your butt splitting wood just for the smell of hickory smoke? I kid you not, every time I burn hickory I start salivating to the thought of pork bellies and brisket in the smoker!

I have 300 gal left and if that doesnt get me through this price gouging, I may well just drain the pipes and wait it out. At $5 or more/gal, I wont have any hunting or fishing money left!!

Everybody in my neighborhood gives me a hard time for cutting wood all spring. I watch the propane truck keep stopping at their houses and I just look at the wood pile and grin. Furnace hasn't ran all year and she likes it warm so I keep it right at 80 all the time with the wood burner. I feel sorry for the people paying for heat!

I think I may do this for next year, wood boiler. I have plenty of oak and ash timber to work on!!!

I'm sick of propane

I have 300 gal left and if that doesnt get me through this price gouging, I may well just drain the pipes and wait it out. At $5 or more/gal, I wont have any hunting or fishing money left!!

We are at 60 degrees in our house now so we do not have to fill up again!!

Farmers with turkeys and chickens have tough decisions to make

I have 35% left and it's 56 degrees right now in the house, lol. Ridiculous.

Bet as soon as spring rolls around the weather warms up we'll see prices fall again.

New house has geothermal, do not miss the days of filling up my 1000 gal propane tank at my old house. I feel for you guys.

Bet as soon as spring rolls around the weather warms up we'll see prices fall again.

Guys, at 56 degrees in the house "at large", make sure you don't have any cold spots where pipes can freeze. 56 degrees at the thermostat could mean something problematic in the basement of an older house or a borderline area, etc.

I would suggest that you trace your pipes in the basement, especially along outside walls and near any type of opening(window, door, etc,) and make sure you have good pipe insulation on them and/or heat tape, etc. Just trying to help prevent a problem for anyone, this is pipe busting weather to be sure.

New house has geothermal, do not miss the days of filling up my 1000 gal propane tank at my old house. I feel for you guys.

Well, if and when we build on our lake lot, I'm looking into geothermal

Definitely an option!!

Woke up to my room being 42.. only room in the house with out an electric heater..rather it be cold than hot though

Govt does not want the price per gal to get to low. In Ohio and Pa is is more natural gas than they know what to do with. Some high up faction has them burning it off at the well head in Ohio. If we let it hit the market in a normal way it would be a dollar a gallon or LESS.

Guys, at 56 degrees in the house "at large", make sure you don't have any cold spots where pipes can freeze. 56 degrees at the thermostat could mean something problematic in the basement of an older house or a borderline area, etc.

I would suggest that you trace your pipes in the basement, especially along outside walls and near any type of opening(window, door, etc,) and make sure you have good pipe insulation on them and/or heat tape, etc. Just trying to help prevent a problem for anyone, this is pipe busting weather to be sure.

If there are cold spots you could probably leave a sink trickling to keep water flowing through the pipes. That should help prevent freezing.

Makes one wonder when oil companies in WY are shutting down & plugging recently drilled & productive methane wells because there isn't enough profit in pumping it, now there is a propane "shortage" with skyrocketing prices???? I know methane & propane are different but both are fossil fuel energy sources... Something stinks & it's not the gas.

I heard Friday prices around me were at $4.99. I burn wood, but am running low on both..... This is total B.S. I even have some relatives who are farmers and they have way more left on their contracts than they will use up. They offered to have it delivered to my mom's place to help her out, and the gas company told them they couldn't do that. BS in my opinion, it is already paid for and they only live 3 miles apart, same gas company and delivery man my mom uses anyway.

Propane prices here were a joke about 4 yrs ago so I switched over to a wood boiler and now use propane as a backup. Haven't burned any of it in 4 winters.

I'm with ya Kaare, I bought a Central Boiler three years ago and it has already paid for itself. I heat 3500 sq feet of living space, a 30x40 garage and all of my hot water with fire wood that I cut off of my farm and neighbors farms. My wife is cold blooded so she likes to keep it about 76* in our house. :rolleyes:
I've had the same Propane in my tank for 4 years now and I just love watching the gas truck drive on by! ;)

picture.php

Everything I have heard says it's not a shortage issue, it's a supply issue. There is a big pipeline shut down getting worked on and for whatever reason the suppliers aren't getting product to sell. This is freaking price gouging if you ask me. Suppliers aren't honoring contracts in many cases.

Sounds like congress is acting. Bet that will go nowhere fast!

Top Bottom