Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roll'n in the Does Contest!

check it now.
busted.gif

Damn Muddy, 107 2\8. I scored on a doe Sat. night. Big momma-
My first bow kill it was awesome!!!!
Length- 67
Circumference if neck- 14
Hooves- rough estimate,kind if hard to measure
lf-2 3\4
rf-2 3\4
lr-2 3\4
rr-2 3\4
Ear measurements left- 7
right-7
Score 207 I hate you muddy, I really really hate you, just kidding. It was my first bow kill and nothing can ever beat that.
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

I hunted pretty hard for early muzzleloader hunting about 8 times. I shot a doe for about fifty yards and tracked her for over 600 yards thorugh the thickest nastiest stuff you could walk through. I cant express how bad you feel when you wound an animal and wonder if its going to make it. Three guys and two hours of looking and I came up empty handed. That really made me question my equipment and my ability to shoot from the unsupported position. I was fortunate to harvest two does the last night of early muzzleloader, I donated one of them to the Hush program. Has anyone experienced any problems with the Knight ballistic bullets? I was shooting 110 grains of pyrodex with a 240 grain bullet. The first doe I shot folded up at ten yards no exit wound just a big entrance wound. The second doe I shot was a thirty yards broadside. She ran for 125 yards no exit wound or blood trail.The shot was a little high catching both lungs but only going 3/4 of the way through. I guess this leaves me wondering if I'm not using enough powder or the bullets just suck. Any feedback?
sniper.gif

I am in no way an expert on this subject as this was my first year Muzzleloading. I was not impressed with a no exit wound on my deer as well. I shot a buck at 20-25yds., I knew the shot was lethal, heard him stumble and what I thought was his death crash, sat for a few minutes and decided to look for blood.....spent 15 minutes and finally managed to find a trace on where he entered the timber. This is shooting 100 Pyrodex pellets with a 295 Powerbelt bullet through an Encore. I figured with that heavy of a bullet he would drop in his tracks. We found him via the blood trail some 30-40yds away from where I shot him. No exit wound. I thought something was up. The gun was loaded the first day of M/L season and I shot this buck on Friday Oct17. I thought that may have been the culprit. After I gutted him his heart was mush and damn near non existent. I found bullet particals just inside the interior of the pelt where I felt the exit wound should have been. I talked with a buddy and his experience was that the shot being that close CAN cause some problems. I am going to test a few bullet/powder combos before next season. There is a bunch of great advice on here and am going to give them a try.

Rudd,

If the heart was almost completely gone, I don't think there's much to worry about, even without an exit wound. I've had limited experience with my muzzleloader but the doe I shot last year was at 30 yds. with 100 gr. Pyrodex pellets and 295-gr. copperclad hollowpoint Powerbelt. She dropped like a rock and I found the bullet in three main pieces and some fragments. The shoulder was shattered. Given the expansion and shock delivered by this bullet/powder combination, I think it would be unusal to actually have a passthrough. Just my two cents.

Threebeards

Thanks Threebeards. When you get an arrow with complete pass through at < 20 yards I just assumed that a heavy bullet would do the same.

oooops, busted. I have not harvested anything worthy of gracing the pages of this site. Although I am thrilled to harvest any animal, I just do not think it holds a candle to the caliber people expect to see here. Also...the 1 pic I have I look like a crazed meth'd out trucker.

Muddy I measured my doe, she came in at 107 flat. If I'd a known I needed another 3/8 ths I'd a remeasured. But she looks alot smaller in the freezer now!
smirk.gif

vike - they always seem to look smaller in the freezer...of course they're much tastier too. =)

There's a man who has shot eight (8) does in Water Works Park this year and I believe he shot 9 last year.

This year he hunted 3 times, pulled two triples and a double all within 2 days.

Several hunters harvest 5 or so each year.

That's great for the deer management program. Keep it up folks.
peace.gif

Shot my first doe of the year this morning(11-1-03). She gave me a 25 yard, slightly quartering away shot, and the shot was true. I scored her at 106 7/8". No too shabby!

Too much rain for photo's. There will be more falling to my arrows soon, who knows, might have some headgear!
waytogo.gif

SCORED LAST NIGHT ON MY FIRST DOE OF THE SEASON. TO GOOD OF AN OPPURTUNITY TO PASS UP. DRILLED HER AT 4:30. DOUBLE LUNG SHOT. SHE WENT FORTY YARDS. ONE DOE DOWN TWO MORE DOES TO GO AND A BUCK TAG. SCORE = 106 WHAT A BLAST DOE OR NOT!!!
893camouflage-thumb[1].gif

Last edited:
I scored on Saturday night. Big old girl. Auggie and I gave her the big mamma scoring treatment and she came out at an even 108. Your safe though Muddy, had to look for Auggie's buck and didn't get any pictures. I'll just have to get a bigger one next time. Roll the does boys!
30571-green1.gif

I was going to enter my 2 does in the contest after measurement tonight but my granfather just called and said he was bored so he skinned and cut both them off the bone. That means less work for me but it also means no measurements to beat Muddy with!!!
beerchug.gif
I only took pictures of my buck and none of the does so Muddy won't believe me but put me down for two does. Balancing the herd can be so much fun!!!!!!!! T$

Well I did my part to reduce the herd, had my first triple Sunday morning, 2 does and a button buck (oops) all told 4 of us took 4 does and two buttons. Pictures and measurements will come later. We need to stretch them on the rack first. Well the nephews got a little to quick for me and I don't have any measurements. None of them were that big anyway.
999Rolling_in_Does_2003-med.JPG

Rudd, that is pretty much what I am shooting except for the gun. I have a CVA. I dropped a small doe at around 100 yards in her tracks. Then I shot another one and she traveled 30-40 feet before crashing into an oak tree and flipping around. I found a bunch of fragments in both of mine. It was my first and second deer ever. Pretty exciting. I still have a tag to fill for late muzzleloader too.

Top Bottom