Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

I'd hook someone up with FREE SEED if they'd pick mine up next fall and bring to my house.

No kidding. When I lived around there I always thought it was pronounced "Urban Dale" all the locals around there pronounced it "URBAN DA LE" Pretty high class. :)

April 15th, 2011

Raining today...thankful for the break actually and even more thankful I got my corn in and sprayed to boot!

I planted free RR seed corn we picked up from a cooperative effort through the Iowa NWTF, Iowa DNR and major seed companies with boat loads of leftover seed on their hands!

CIMG2384.jpg

I put on 300#'s of 6-28-28

CIMG2511.jpg

CIMG2512.jpg

and 300#'s of 46-0-0 urea

CIMG2519.jpg

CIMG2520.jpg

at a cost of $200 an acre total and broadcast it on before discing

CIMG2518.jpg

I would no-till plant but the urea must be tilled in within 24-48 hours (or be rained in with 1/2" minimum) or risk losing most or all of it, so i disk immediately after broadcasting.

CIMG2521.jpg

I am dividing the plot into 1/2 corn and 1/2 soybeans with white clover around the exterior and a strip of turnips down the center (planted in July)

CIMG2522.jpg

CIMG2523.jpg

The areas in winter rye tilled up especially nice

CIMG2530.jpg

CIMG2529.jpg

I planted 30,000 seeds per acre with the JD7000

CIMG2524.jpg

CIMG2528.jpg

CIMG2526.jpg

and then sprayed with 1.75 pints per acre of Dual II Magnum pre-emergence herbicide

IMG_0011.jpg

and $30 pull type sprayer

CIMG2531.jpg

CIMG2536.jpg

with drops to limit wind drift

CIMG2537.jpg

CIMG2538.jpg

It puts on 10 gallons per acre and works pretty well...with a duct tape lid.... :D

The last of April I'll get the soybeans planted and get the electric fence up and running again as well... :way:

Geez, let's say a normal farmer drills 150,000 for EXAMPLE. And combine that with the fact that you're probably doing less than 5 acres that will be targeted by deer right???? And finally, broadcasting....
If it were ME, to be honest, I'd be putting down 250k+ per acre if you're broadcasting them (heck, I know some will say this is too high BUT in your example, I might even do 300k BUT I bet several will say that's too many, I don't think so though). I'd be shooting for as much acreage as possible & I'd be hitting it really hard with P&K (and Pell-lime if needed) and I'd be disciplined about Round-up on time and as needed- on smaller area, I spend an hour and hand spray em so I don't run any over- takes some time BUT worth it- also consider adding DUAL to the mix in your spray. If you can pack em in, really will help- anything you can do to aid in getting them into the soil or get them covered at all. Have fun!

Roughly how many soybean seeds per acre if you are broadcasting them?

It depends on how many acres and what kind of grazing you expect. A small hidden plot is going to get wiped out so as Skip mentions you could plant above 200,000 seeds per acre with no problems.

If it's a larger area or fenced to protect it then 140,000 to 180,000 seeds per acre would give higher grain yields.

I would HIGHLY suggest looking into the fencing that Dbltree is using & talking about in his earlier posts too.

April 30th, 2011

Soil conditions where barely dry enough but I went ahead and no-tilled my soybeans in last night...plenty of time to pant soybeans but I couldn't wait to try out my new tractor! :cool:

CIMG2668.jpg

The JD5065E worked great and pulled the JD7000 no-till planter with ease

CIMG2673.jpg

I planted in both milo stalks and winter rye/clover, 1/2 the plot already planted to corn

CIMG2674.jpg

The 7000 will plant through just about any soil residue

CIMG2669.jpg

CIMG2671.jpg

I used free RR soybean seed from experimental test beans and germination was on the low side so i planted at heavy rates exceeding 240,000 seeds per acre hoping to end up with 140 -160,000 germinated seeds per acre. I also planted some of Don Higgins "Real World" soybeans as a test and save 1/2 of the bag to test on another farm.

CIMG2672.jpg

I was hoping to plant more today but a 1/4" of rain on already wet soils put the kibash to that idea. No worries though as we have lot's of time for beans and I don't think a single acre of beans has been planted in my area. I didn't add fertilizer to the beans and will use a corn bean rotation where I build fertility on the corn and follow with beans.

My corn may have to be re-planted along with hundreds of acres of corn planted by neighboring farmers. The cold wet soils have prevented or delayed germination and if things don't change soon I suspect the seed will rot in the ground.

I have plenty of free RR corn and soybean seed left so if at first I don't succeed...try, try again... ;)

April 30th, 2011

Soil conditions where barely dry enough but I went ahead and no-tilled my soybeans in last night...plenty of time to pant soybeans but I couldn't wait to try out my new tractor! :cool:

CIMG2668.jpg

The JD5065E worked great and pulled the JD7000 no-till planter with ease

That is a sharp looking setup!! :way:

I have a 33 horse and hope that it will pull the 4 row JD 7000 I have...anyone know for sure from experience if it will pull that planter?

I got my soybean seed yest. from Pheasants forever. I have a question. My seed is Croplan Cruiser Maxx Beans. It doesn't say anything about being round-up ready beans on the bag or on the label so I am guessing they aren't. What herbicide options do I have? Wish they would of been round-up beans so I wouldn't have to spend the money on different herbicides but they were free. :D

Last edited:
I have a 33 horse and hope that it will pull the 4 row JD 7000 I have...anyone know for sure from experience if it will pull that planter?

I was told in another post that a 30hp can pull the jd 7000 4 row. I do not know for a fact, thats what i was told because i was wandering the same thing.

Geez, let's say a normal farmer drills 150,000 for EXAMPLE. And combine that with the fact that you're probably doing less than 5 acres that will be targeted by deer right???? And finally, broadcasting....
If it were ME, to be honest, I'd be putting down 250k+ per acre if you're broadcasting them (heck, I know some will say this is too high BUT in your example, I might even do 300k BUT I bet several will say that's too many, I don't think so though). I'd be shooting for as much acreage as possible & I'd be hitting it really hard with P&K (and Pell-lime if needed) and I'd be disciplined about Round-up on time and as needed- on smaller area, I spend an hour and hand spray em so I don't run any over- takes some time BUT worth it- also consider adding DUAL to the mix in your spray. If you can pack em in, really will help- anything you can do to aid in getting them into the soil or get them covered at all. Have fun!

Thanks. I am planting a little over 2 acres. I am not sure if the deer will destroy them early or not but I am not going to fence it this yr. at least. Got my soil sample back on this and will be applying P&K as needed. PH was good so not going to be adding lime. I have 6 bags of soybeans. Says there is roughly 2650 seeds per lb. I think they are 50lb bags(doesn't say and haven't weighed them yet) so that is 132,500 seeds per bag. So I have around almost 800,000 seeds to plant. Looks like I will have enough seed. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom