Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Soybeans are a great food source for whitetails and relatively easy and inexpensive to grow but there some diseases like SDS that plotters should be aware of...

Sudden death syndrome (SDS) is a fungal disease of soybeans caused by Fusarium solani f.sp. glycines, and has caused substantial soybean yield reductions.

Disease symptoms usually appear after flowering and during pod fill. Typical foliar symptoms of SDS begin, as small chlorotic spots on leaves (Figure 4). The spots coalesce until the entire intervenal tissue of leaf is chlorotic. The chlorosis progresses to necrosis giving the leaves a fired look (Figure 5). The dead interveinal tissue falls from the leaf giving the leaf a tattered appearance (Figure 6). The leaf veins remain green and the leaves often drop off the plant leaving bare petioles still attached to the plant stems (Figure 7).

Foliar symptoms progress quickly, thus the name "sudden death". In severely infected plants, the roots are rotted near the crown, and plants can be easily pulled from the soil. The outer cambial tissue of SDS infected stems exhibit rot but the stem's pith remains white
sds2_small.jpg
sds3_small.jpg
sds4_small.jpg
sds5_small.jpg
sds6_small.jpg
sds7_small.jpg
sds8_small.jpg

Tests this year in Iowa revealed less SDS in later planted soybeans (May 5th to June 1st) and since soybeans are vulnerable to late spring frosts anyway...don't be in a big rush to plant your beans next spring... ;)

How long has the electric fencer been working for you Paul? I have had a couple Gallaghers now and they are only good for 2 years or less before the circuit board needs replaced. Having much better luck with the patriot fencer and man does it put out the volts!!

How long has the electric fencer been working for you Paul? I have had a couple Gallagher now and they are only good for 2 years or less before the circuit board needs replaced. Having much better luck with the patriot fencer and man does it put out the volts!!

Parmak fencer is still going strong but my Gallagher is brand new so the jury is still out on that one...;)

Parmak fencer is still going strong but my Gallagher is brand new so the jury is still out on that one...;)

The Gallagher's do have a 2 year warranty, its just been my experience after 3 of them anyways....all 3 had to get a new board. :way:

When we first start out managing our property for whitetails we keep it simple, perhaps a clover plot to start with for instance. As we gain experience we (or at least we should) become more aggressive in maximizing the land and habitat that God has blessed us with.

One of the key ways we can do this is provide all the necessary ingredients required to hold whitetails on our properties year around rather then just trying to "lure" them back during hunting season. I would mention here that there are places of course where this is simply not possible, because in snow belt areas along the Great Lakes or areas with limited cover in the plains or upper Midwest states deer simply must migrate to survive. All we can do in those cases is to be certain we have food sources there from the day they return in the spring until snow forces them out in late fall.

The rest of us however can utilize a number of habitat options to keep deer on our property or at least using our property every day of the year. One of the worst mistakes any landowner can make is planting ONLY a hunting plot such as I have shared in the case of Lakosky's in the Cereal Grain thread.

There are multiple reasons for providing year around food sources:

1) To adapt whitetails to living on our property and traveling the same runways, using the same bedding areas rather then the neighbors.

2) Late season hunting...one of the greatest opportunities we have harvest a mature whitetail buck is in the late season when rut weary bucks are literally starving. Bitter cold winter weather forces them to find high energy food sources and makes them extremely vulnerable as they are more likely then ever to enter fields before dark.

3) Poaching...in my area this in an extremely serious problem because trophy class racks can bring thousands of dollars when they are sold to collectors.

This link is a case in point and only the tip of the iceberg: Iowa Poachers face $100,000 in fines

What good is it then to screen and protect our property and then force hungry bucks to head for unprotected neighboring farms where they are sitting ducks to not only other hunters but professional poachers who make a living out of stealing our natural resources????

That brings us to soybeans...they cannot in and of themselves solve all the above problems but they can be an extremely useful tool in helping us work towards our goals of providing year around food sources. There is NO one crops species of variety that can do the trick, at least not in most of the upper Midwest and north so it's a combination of many crops and natural habitat improvements that are required.

With that in mind then I would add here that there are serious drawbacks to ONLY planting forage soybeans but significant advantages to planting both forage and grain varieties "separately" (Do not mix them). I get FREE RR ag soybeans through a cooperative effort of the Iowa NWTF, IDNR and seed companies and my budget does not allow me to purchase forage soybeans so I utilize white clover instead with the same results. Those that can afford them can of course incorporate them into their habitat program but this discussion is centered around grain soybeans that mature and dry down starting in late August and how we can maximize this great food source as a tool in our habitat puzzle.

A friend of mine leases his ag land out to a local farmer and has the farmer leave some crops standing. Excellent way of providing food sources at least part of the time and that's where the problem arises...it's only part of the time.

With his permission I would like to share a couple cam pics from the roughly 1.5 acres he had the farmer leave. These were 40 bushel soybeans and my friend saw many mature bucks feeding in these beans in November, unfortunately lacking a funnel area he was unable to connect.

BuckinSoybeans.jpg

He then made plans to hunt the late season knowing that these mature bucks were there and the beans would be impossible for them to turn down. This is what the spot looks like now however...barely a month later..

Deerinsoybeans.jpg

They have decimated the beans and there is NOTHING left to hold them there which brings us back to the problems mentioned previously. It would be foolish or naive to think that those mature bucks or the deer in general will not leave in search of other food sources which in turn makes them vulnerable to both other hunters, poachers, vehicles, dogs etc.

What good is it then to allow our immature bucks to walk and then have them killed on someone else's land because we only had a "hunting plot"?? How can we solve this problem? What things could he have done differently? (BTW...I'm not picking on my friend because I have done this exact same thing myself and learned from it the hard way... ;) )

This is ag land and not really a "food plot" so what to do?

On most any farm there are "odd areas" that cannot be farmed and in Iowa grassed waterways are only one example and timber edges, corners etc. can be utilized and make great places to plant white clover. Small patches of white clover can feed a tremendous amount of deer very inexpensively and require very little maintenance...a lite dose of Roundup in late may will keep them cleaned up and that's about it!

White clover however only insures that my friend would have early spring food sources (April/May) before crops begin to grow...again EXTREMELY important but only a piece of the puzzle.

The great thing about grain soybeans even in a farming situation such as my friends is that we can overseed them with winter rye and forage radish in late August. (This will NOT work with forage beans and just one of the serious drawbacks to using only forage beans) Over seeding rye and radishes is incredibly easy and inexpensive and easily done with a simple bag seeder, preferably just before a good late summer thunder boomer! The seeding should be done just as the beans are starting to yellow and this situation works perfectly! the beans of course are canopied (the leaves provide a cover or canopy shading the soil below) so the broadcasted seeds are protected from drying sun and wind. Soil moisture is more likely to remain adequate to insure that the seeds laying on the soil surface germinate and are able to send tiny roots down without drying out and dying.

The soybean leaves will take several weeks to turn, dry down and fall off and in takes the seeds 7-10 days depending on moisture to germinate so by the time the rye and radish is needing some sunshine....the leaves fall and they are off to the races!

By October then the rye and soybeans will look something like this...man...what a combination!!

Ryeinsoybeans.jpg

In most cases where deer densities are high I would suggest following up with at least a 100#'s of urea per acre several weeks after the rye and radishes have sprouted. Spread the urea just before a minimum 1/2 " of rain to incorporate the nitrogen.

Eventually we end up with this fantastic combination of "grain and green" that will last far longer then the grain alone and be far more attractive then the green forage alone.

This is an idea what you can expect from the combination of beans and rye....and had my friend utilized this combination the deer, having adapted to feeding there would have continued to stay and feed on the rye.

Ryeinsoybeanswithbuck.jpg

Winter rye is the ultimate for overseeding into standing crops because it germinates and grows easily on almost any soil without being "planted" and rye provides the missing link required to hold our whitetails ALL winter into spring when once again the white clover can take over from there.

In ag situations the rye can be easily killed with roundup in the spring or tilled under depending on the farmer involved so it's not a problem for the crops to follow but does have the added benefit of helping to hold the soil as a cover crop through the winter and early spring.

I would also remind each of you that planted food sources are not the entire answer and only part of the habitat pie so it's essential that we provide copious amounts of natural browse and cover along with the crops. Whitetails MUST have browse and I cannot stress the importance of providing an ample supply of natural forage enough...do NOT over look it!

My friend is in the planning stages of major TSI projects that will turn his wide open timber into safe secure sanctuaries full of succulent browse and funnels that will allow him to kill those big whitetails traveling to his food sources.

Look over this thread for more ideas on this subject:

Hinging for bedding, bottlenecks and browse

Another overlooked habitat improvement is planting shrubby browse species such as dogwoods and Big Rock Trees offers cuttings that are amazingly easy to plant.

Big Rock Trees

Shrubs provide both cover and browse and can be used to help funnel deer too boot!

Change the way you think, get away from "hunting season" plantings if you really want to have the edge and maximize the use of your property. Provide year around food and cover and waste not a single square inch of your land in doing so! Some of you may find forage soybeans a useful tool and if you include them, plant them separately perhaps around the outer edges of the grain soybean planting. They will remain green and canopied until frost kills them which has obvious benefits from a grazing standpoint but makes it impossible to over seed rye into them. Look over all the options and combination, and then decide what might work best for you to achieve our goals of holding whitetails on our property year around.... :way:

Last edited:
To add a bit to Dbltree's thread...I just returned from a late 2nd season hunt at my farm and here is what I saw.

I have about 5 acres of RR, free ag beans that got planted pretty late this year due to incessant rain in SE Iowa. I think the farmer finally got them right around July 13th. (Plus or minus a day or two, I had given up hope by July 4th that he would be able to get them in. I got one free bag from an NWTF chapter and the others from another friend that farms that had some leftovers from previous years.)

Due to the late planting date and the fact that I did not apply fertilizer to them, they only got a little over knee high, but they did make pods. I also followed Dbltree's advice and overseeded rye into them and that came along OK, we had a pretty dry spell in September that didn't help them any. By late November and continuing up until now, this is the field on my place, and I suspect the #1 place in my immediate neighborhood.

While tracking my son's deer today, I had occasion to inspect 4 other food plots on my place. (3 predominantly clover and 1 predominantly rye.) There was a little action in the other plots, but there were trails coming from all directions to the beans/rye combo. I would estimate that 90% of the feeding right now is in the bean/rye plot.

Although I am a long ways from developing my place as well as Dbltree has developed his places, I am headed in that direction and while trailing this deer, we came across numerous beds, all on our property, that give credence to the plans that Dbltree promotes. I did TSI on about 30 acres of timber 2 or 3 years ago and this deer bedded 5 times and always in a thick spot in an area where the TSI had been performed. I don't think any of this was coincidence either.

I just thought it would add to the thread that others, generally following his good advice, can see similar results too. Oh, check the the harvest forum for my son's deer. :D

They do love those beans Dave! :way:

My friend John from way up north has noticed the same thing I have....deer love FREE soybean seed!

He planted 2 acres of soybeans with some corn for a screen and the seed cost him a mere $8 a bag from his local NWTF chapter (join up fellas!) and by golly his deer are like mine....loving the "cheap beans"...

Soy2.jpg

The cleaned him out!

Soy1.jpg

John said the only thing he needs to do next time is...plant more of that free soybean seed!

Soy3.jpg

Just think if he had overseeded winter rye into those beans....;)

I believe that soybeans overseeded with winter rye is an almost unbeatable combination but corn and rye might possibly even top that! We don't often see corn overseeded with rye simply because it's difficult to hand spread rye into standing corn but farmers commonly do so as a cover crop or to graze cattle on. They aerial seed their rye which makes short work of applying the rye seed but that's not something most of us are familiar with.

When I mentioned to Rich Baugh that deer were pounding my winter rye he told me he had rye aerial seeded into standing corn...cool! I asked for details and pics to which he obliged and sent the following to me.

The farmer who leases his crop land, knowing that Rich planted food plots suggested that he could have some rye seed flown on when he had his own done. Rich said let's give it a shot and had 6 acres of standing corn seeded to winter rye via airplane!

This is what it looks like now after the corn has been harvested...

Ryeincorn1.jpg

Rich hasn't had a chance to hunt this yet but mentioned that he can see that they have been grazing the rye

Ryeincorn2.jpg

Atrazine herbicide can be a problem when attempting to overseed anything into corn but this was RR corn so herbicide carryover was not a problem!

Ryeincorn3.jpg

Regardless if it is corn grown for harvest or left standing as a food plot...aerial seeding of winter rye in late August or early September is an awesome method of extending the grazing period all the way til spring. Eventually deer will strip the corn or soybeans clean but the rye will remain and hold deer all winter!

Ryeincorn4.jpg

It's certainly not impossible to walk the rows with a bag seeder and get the job done but Rich was able to have this seed flown on for $25 an acre! Gieesh...you can't beat that deal!

Regardless of how you get the job done....consider overseeding winter rye and forage radish into your standing corn and soybeans to not only extend your grazing season and plot usage but double your total yield per acre to boot. Rye is an awesome tool that can help you hold whitetails year around when used in conjunction with other crops...give it a try if you haven't already... :way:

Does this pilot fly up to Wisconisn!? I would certianly have rye and GHFR dive-bombed into my corn/soybeans!!!!!! does it take a special airplane to do this???? AWESOME STUFF! :D:way:

Does this pilot fly up to Wisconisn!? I would certianly have rye and GHFR dive-bombed into my corn/soybeans!!!!!! does it take a special airplane to do this???? AWESOME STUFF! :D:way:

Check with your local ag fertilizer supplier/grain elevator, Rich has his done through Crop Services (ag supply). Planes commonly fly on fungicides etc. so and local farm service should have contacts to those that do crop dusting, spraying and aerial seeding. :way:

A note from NE pa...great thread. We tried corn again this year. Not having a corn planter available we tried broadcasting corn. I first put urea and fertlizer down then We used a cultivator to work the soil up. I then broadcast RU read corn with my hand seeder. Then disced and cultipacked the corn in...(approx 1.5 acres)

This was the results..
071510003.jpg

Corn cam up great and had outstanding production...except where i overseeded along one of the hedgerows and moisture was pulled out by the trees.

Our only problem are these...
090110101.jpg

090110108.jpg

which pounded our corn field all fall. Even with the heavy bear damage we had a great crop of corn which the deer have been utilizing to this date. Not enough to carry them all winter..but enough to give the good start through the rest of the winter.

On a side note...we put out 9 different bear in and around our property the 2nd week of pa rifle season!

Last edited:
Paul...? for you...Would you recommend leaving the corn standing after it matures or mowing with a brush hog to scatter the corn?

Was wondering if leaving the standing corn would be a pain in the butt to plow under come spring? and would it be better to scatter the corn rather than leave it on the ears especially for the turkeys?

You dont have bears in iowa do you? They are a pain!!!! especially on the damage to the game cameras!

Here are a couple more for your enjoyment! :)
061310047.jpg

MDGC0357.jpg

MDGC0356.jpg

IM000037.jpg

Last edited:
.Would you recommend leaving the corn standing after it matures or mowing with a brush hog to scatter the corn?
I leave it standing and then shred the stalks in the spring...deer love the cover of the standing corn.

Somethings about whitetails mystify me which of course is half the fun of hunting them! My neighbors have a wide open crop field beyond my place, been that was for decades...not a tree or so much as a branch on the place! The owner keeping it his fence rows clean as a whistle while my farm is 100% habitat...awesome thick cover, hidden food sources etc etc. So one would wonder then why on earth deer would choose to go out and scratch around in soybean stubble rather then feed on my protected standing soybeans???

To make matters worse...they let some other fellas hunt (nothing wrong with that) and they stick a double bull blind out there on a terrace and have a blast shooting does apparently on a suicide mission! I can watch them walk to their blind, see the deer come out, hear them shoot...the whole 9 yards! You can see the tent blind to the far right and the wide open field beyond mine.

IMG_0012.jpg

Now...this fellas do lament the fact that they don't see any bucks while I am watching 10-15 bucks and 20-30 does in my hidden food sources and beans, I am waiting for a mature buck I am not shooting "deer". This is merely a "curious" thing that makes you wonder...why?

I suspect that a certain number of deer are adapted to coming from another neighbors farm (they are not coming from my place but another neighbor with no feed) to the stubble fields that are their means of survival. Doe groups lead and adapt other does groups, it's unchanging over decades of use and that friends is my case in point for providing year around food sources that adapt deer to feeding year after year in your plots and living on your land.

IMG_0013-1.jpg

They shot a doe, walked out, got the truck and drove in just as I was getting ready to walk out under cover of darkness. The deer in my plots listened and watched intently even though 300 yards away but never left. When I drove past the gates they had not left more then 5 minutes previously...there were more deer trying to get back in the field and some still in the field...crazy!

A friend of mine with a fairly large farm said he has witnessed the exact same thing, 3 deer in his standing soybeans while 30 more where feeding a chisel plowed soybean stubble field! Again...they are just adapted to feeding there as they have for years.

Ag crop stubble should not be overlooked by those who lease crop land out on their farm although large fields can be frustrating to hunt unless edge feathering/trail blocking has been done. Mature bucks are far less likely to enter open fields before dark as these fellas can attest to so hidden safe food sources are far more productive.

While they were watching does...I was watching does...and bucks....

IMG_0003.jpg

and the bucks on my farms are adapted to feeding there long before dark although truly mature animals are still reluctant to risk daylight movement.

IMG_0009.jpg

All of that is just food for thought because often some one will say...there are tons of deer in my neighbors field...what I am I doing wrong?!? We can't pen them all up and a certain number of deer are adapted o feeding in those crop fields regardless of what we plant. Over time however if your food sources are centrally located, insulated from the "world", close to thick cover...the bucks are going to prefer your property. They didn't survive to be 4-5 years old by running out to a large crop field in broad daylight.... ;)

Paul - that is really interesting that some of the neighborhood deer would eschew your property for the wide open field next door. I would guess that there is a "social angle", in that no matter how good the habitat may be in one spot, only so many alpha does will choose to stay together. So the ones "out in the open" may be lower on the neighborhood deer hierarchy than the ones in the prime zone on your place.

Or, they could just be stupid too. :D

At our farm we have terraces at a plateau.

The deer will always run from the woods to the highest part
in that field. In the wide open. About an hour before dark.

I always thought they did it so they could look out for danger?

Or, they could just be stupid too

That was my first guess Dave! :D

The social part is definitely a factor however so you can only crows do many deer on to any property or into any field. With as many as 50+ deer visible in less then 3 acres of rye and clover...it stands to reason some are going to choose another place...and that would be the...stupid ones...:D

My friend Mike sent a couple pics from up in snow country...deer flocking to his winter food sources!!

Mikedeer12-17.jpg

I love Mikes multiple food sources! Soybeans, sugar beets, turnips an radishes all in strips as you can see in this pic.

MikesPlots12-28.jpg

They were choosing those crops over his standing corn but that may have changed by now.... ;)

Mike sent me a picture of his uneaten corn from his WI farm...something unheard of around my area! It is an example of providing year around food sources however.

2010planting254.jpg

Mikes limiting factor is cover because much of his farm is ag land so if he had tremendous bedding areas, it's unlikely he would have crops left over. He has found some nice sheds this winter as deer travel to his great combination of brassicas, beets, beans and corn!

2010seasonsheds008.jpg

A friend of mine with the ideal combination of food sources and awesome bedding areas comprised of hinged trees and crop tree release in the timber along with fields of NWSG found over 50 sheds this weekend on his 300+acre farm.

Provide BOTH cover and food year around and they'll live there year around! :way:

I picked up nearly $2000 worth of free RR corn and soybean seed the other day....

CIMG2378.jpg

all left over seed that either has to be burned or given away

CIMG2379.jpg

One can look up the variety numbers on line if you wish

CIMG2380.jpg

but it's all top of the line seed...free!

CIMG2381.jpg

I also picked up a bag of Real World soybean seed from Don Higgins at the Iowa Deer Classic...obviously not because I need anymore seed but simply to give it a fair test against other ag soybeans

CIMG2382.jpg

Always best to do a ragdoll test on any year old seed to be certain it is viable seed

CIMG2385.jpg

I've never had a problem but I also would rather know sooner then later if I do.

I prefer to use high quality white clover for my spring/summer food source and utilize the soybeans as a late season source of grain so that being the case I plant high yielding ag beans rather then forage type beans. There is something for everyone though and regardless if you choose one or both...now is the time to take a soil test and be certain of your nutrient and PH levels.

Take a number of samples and mix them in a bucket (hope my wife doesn't see her bucket that clearly says "MOM'S BUCKET" :eek: )

Test1.jpg

or a bag and then scoop out enough to nearly fill the sample bag.

CIMG2344.jpg

Lot's of great places to send in soil samples (local co-op or extension office) but here is a link to ISU's soil lab if you need a soil lab to send too

ISU Soil Lab

Tests cost 8 bucks there and you'll know if you need to add P&K or lime

I also got free RR seed corn...

CIMG2384.jpg

YieldGuard and RR 2 seed corn is probably $150-160 a bag! This is 118 day corn...perfect for my neck of the woods.

818TS seed corn

Not all areas organize seed pickups but it pays to check with large ag co-ops or seed dealers who may be asked to store it temporarily...no one wants to pay for hauling it somewhere if they can give it away... ;)

Top Bottom