Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Crazy two weeks of growing weather

403055.jpeg
403054.jpeg
403057.jpeg

When is the biggest concern for deer damage un fenced smaller corn plot , I thought for sure it would be smoked. Had extra seed so I gave it a shot . Looks pretty good to this point I figured total loss when I was drilling . Much to worry about ? My fenced corn looks sweet when do you guys typically remove your electric fence .
4917614f09d38c2640096be6bdd218ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planning for next season , Are most of you planting the same corn anywhere or are you using possibly different hybrids for different soil and moisture concerns , going to plant on some high ground next year that is I would say a moisture concern not best ground like good bottom dirt. , getting a soil sample next week but was reading about different hybrids that are adapted to certain situations . So just wondering is any top line corn is going to work .. West Central Illinois planting . Thanks Guys

When is the biggest concern for deer damage un fenced smaller corn plot , I thought for sure it would be smoked. Had extra seed so I gave it a shot . Looks pretty good to this point I figured total loss when I was drilling . Much to worry about ? My fenced corn looks sweet when do you guys typically remove your electric fence .
4917614f09d38c2640096be6bdd218ae.jpg

I don't want to discourage you, but we have seen the most damage when the deer can walk a row and nip the tops off. It's worse for us when it is a dry uear, which is not this year for us. Knee high to probably 4' tall...pretty vulnerable when unfenced.

I don't want to discourage you, but we have seen the most damage when the deer can walk a row and nip the tops off. It's worse for us when it is a dry uear, which is not this year for us. Knee high to probably 4' tall...pretty vulnerable when unfenced.

I appreciate it !! , Thanks Daver !!

I pull the fence after the ears are well formed. Those baby ears are huge targets I want protected. Fence & coon killing is critical from the time corn is about knee/waste high til ears are full size. Small plots- I still stay on the raccoons after fence is down. Those devils can destroy a small corn field easily. Thankfully raccoons are extinct in my area ;)

Reactions: HWC
Well, thanks to some suggestions here we overcame the high population and are going to have a successful corn field. 3.5 acres at 40,000 pop. 2 ears per stalk and the ears look like this! The chewing at the bottom? Dad said it tasted better last week…
4b1ae99cbec9535a9e4b527f1e3ecb38.jpg

Well, thanks to some suggestions here we overcame the high population and are going to have a successful corn field. 3.5 acres at 40,000 pop. 2 ears per stalk and the ears look like this! The chewing at the bottom? Dad said it tasted better last week…
4b1ae99cbec9535a9e4b527f1e3ecb38.jpg

2 of those per stalk!!!! & @40k seeds per acre… U got some happy deer and a lotta food!!! Good job!!!!

I thought I would be cool and go spread some cover crop seed into the standing corn before last night's rain. The hope was it will germinate and grow some so when I go knock some of the corn down it will be there already. Never again... :D Those leaves tore me UP! Long sleeves and gloves were great. My face and neck look like I fought a cat! Haha! Probably won't even grow anyway. Its tough walking the row with a bag spreader and its all 4' over your head. Didn't help that I had to wait until we got the kids to bed, so most of it was in the dark. Never never again...

I thought I would be cool and go spread some cover crop seed into the standing corn before last night's rain. The hope was it will germinate and grow some so when I go knock some of the corn down it will be there already. Never again... :D Those leaves tore me UP! Long sleeves and gloves were great. My face and neck look like I fought a cat! Haha! Probably won't even grow anyway. Its tough walking the row with a bag spreader and its all 4' over your head. Didn't help that I had to wait until we got the kids to bed, so most of it was in the dark. Never never again...
Blower seeder or drone. Only way I'd seed into corn.

Tried 2 varieties to compare. Pretty minor difference. Most the stalks were doubles & these ears are kinda “average”… some bigger, some smaller - good representation. 8 acres. 7 acres are loaded. 1 acre behind me i drilled in the Dbltree mix as it was eaten pretty hard. Spread rye & radish over the rest. This is no till for years. Fertilized with compost. Doubles like this, the yield should be STUPID. Then- way more tonnage due to rye & brassicas, etc. This one food source will feed the critters into spring.
*No drone today so me & buddy spread it with 2 bag seeders. Ha!!!!! See the sweat on my shirt. Good gosh this is a lot of work for silly deer & critters. Ton of work but infinitely enjoyable.

****T_Max!!!!!…. My arms are on fire!!!!!! Feel like the worst sun burn but it’s from the leaves slicing & scraping over & over. Know the feeling all too well right now!!! Ha!
IMG_0595.jpeg

Top Bottom